[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Help me. I want to buy my boyfriend a synth for xmas, but I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2
File: image.jpg (58 KB, 624x316) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
58 KB, 624x316
Help me.

I want to buy my boyfriend a synth for xmas, but I don't know where to start. My budget is around $300. He plays mostly antifolk stuff but wants to delve more into post punk/ goth stuff ala iceage, lower, vaura etc.

Any advice is much appreciated!
>>
>>60866763
you can do a lot of different things if you learn how to program a microkorg, which should be in your price range
>>
>>60866849
Thanks, do you need a nice computer for that? He only has a shitty chrome book so can't operate much through it
>>
>>60866941
if he already knows how to use a synth no, mk just has kind of a shitty interface that's hard to use without a computer if you don't know how alread- and other anon didn't mention it's only in that range used. also recommended in that price range is a microbrute. whichever really. i'd be happy as shit with a girlfriend getting me either
>>
>>60866941
microkorg and microbrute can be used without a computer, but some settings (at least with the microbrute, not sure about the korg) can be edited on a computer.
>>
hell no to the microkorg, that's a memesynth.

it's nice that you want to get your bf a synth but it's like buying a guitar. everyone has very specific preferences when it comes to instruments, he might lie to your face and say he likes it, but you'll just end up seeing it in the corner gathering dust. give him cash instead (musicians like that) or make a cute card that says it has $300 worth of blowjob credit.
>>
>>60866763
>>60868783
yea op maybe just tell him u wanted to get him a synth but didnt want to mess up. buying a synth is like buying a pair of shoes. maybe u could try learning what synth sounds he likes and look into what equipment those bands use
>>
It doesn't have to be a surprise, you could ask him about it
>>
>>60866763
I bought my first synth this year. I am a guitarist/bassist/drummer and wanted to start playing something I don't know anything about. It's a Korg MS-20 mini, and it costs about $450. It's monophonic (meaning only one key can be played at a time so no chords) and semi-modular, which means that there's a patch panel on the side where one could program any sounds they like, as long as they learn how to use the instrument.
It's honestly the coolest thing I own, and I learn something new on it every day. I think it's a great "beginner" synth and probably the neatest thing you can get for the cheapest amount before you start buying crap like a microkorg. If he's dedicated to learning something unusual I think the MS-20 mini is worth it.
>>
>>60868783
Hmm. I think he would definitely want something that has a vocoder, which is why I was kind of leaning towards the mK. But he doesn't want to do a bunch of techno junk. More analog style stuff. Though he's been really into Bowie lately and I'm sure would love to experiment with things. And we live together so giving him money would be weird. Maybe I can give him a gift receipt
>>
>>60868951
We are dumb and like to give eachother big surprise gifts. He's been talking about a synth for ages and I really want to suprise him
>>
>>60869004
This is very helpful. If I can scrape some more $ together that sounds like a great option thank you
>>
Op here. Okay so I'm thinking either an Arturia microbrute or the korg ms20 mini. The brute is more in my price range but if the korg is really that much better I can make it work. Any opinions? Pros and cons? Thanks
>>
>>60869396
if i remember correctly the microbute is polyphonic so he can play chords on it but i dont really care for the sounds

the korg will definitely be more fun to mess around with. look up demos to see what kind of sounds he can get out of it
>>
>>60869457
its not. i have one
>>
different question, not op

what's the most fun synth i can get used for cheap and just make fun noises? i am not talented but can make noises so

ideally with drummy things and knobs
>>
>>60869579
sounds like you might have more fun and/or be more creative with a sampler
>>
>>60869579
Can't wait to see your drone/experimental album in the bandcamp thread next week!
>>
>>60868783
>or make a cute card that says it has $300 worth of blowjob credit.

this kind of misogyny is why i need feminism.
>>
>>60869093
>monophonic

that is a bad thing.
>>
>>60869579
get a stylophone. they're 40 bucks tops, usually cheaper, and hella fun. use that as a signal input and start buying pedals one at a time, only buying new ones after you master the one you bought. also invest in a cheap practice amp. is fun and inexpensive relative to the standard set up. worth it
>>
>>60869883
>implying monophonic is bad
>>
>>60869883
ms20 guy here-- you don't need to play chords on it for it to sound big. there are two oscillators and it's not meant to function as a piano-- it's meant to function as a frequency modulator. if OP wanted a keyboard she'd have said keyboard. lots of post punk shit uses analog synths to add a throbbing robotic texture, which is what I imagine her BF is going for.
I understand the apprehension though. it looks like a piano so you'd expect it to function like one. it's a whole different instrument entirely, and most of its utility comes from the knobs rather than the keys
>>
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 318x445) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 318x445
>>60869853
>>
>>60869958
Op here. I appreciate your input.
>>
>>60869930
>>60869958

please excuse me but i actually have no idea what im talking about. thank you.
>>
>>60870173
If you think he's wrong, then what, in your opinion, is better?
>>
>>60870258

i have no idea. ive never played a synth.
>>
>>60870087

there are heaps of demo videos btw

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EkviXfTPGKs
>>
MIDI keyboard + piratebay, good to go
>>
>>60870087

find anything good, op?
>>
check out a few local used gear stores if there are any in your area! youd be surprised what you might find

as for suggestions, id say the microkorg, microbrute, or the ms20 if you can find a used one for less

other than that, i dont know a whole lot about synths, but good luck!!
>>
>>60869971
>by Tim Manlet

FTFY
>>
Synths not to get:
>Korg Microkorg
>Roland GAIA SH-01
>Yamaha Reface shit

Synths I would recommend
>Korg MS-20 mini
>Arturia MicroBrute
>Arturia MiniBrute
>Novation MiniNova

If you try to find an older synth used, you could probably get him several with a budget of around $300.
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.