[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
The Unseen
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1
File: the-unseen-6.jpg (122 KB, 455x455) Image search: [Google]
the-unseen-6.jpg
122 KB, 455x455
Just got into more of an underground taste and making my way through more Madlib. Was this album well received? It seemed hard to listen to at first and then it grew on me a lot.
>>
It was pretty well received iirc, though acclaim has definitely grown in time. I agree that it's a grower. Some of the things that I found to be weaknesses at first (like how unfocused it is) grew to be some of my favorite aspects of it (the previously stated unfocused quality leads to a disorienting and almost psychedelic atmosphere).
>>
>>60864317
Mid-2000s were fantastic for the underground scene. DOOM dropped 4 of his best albums in the 2003-2004 period. Stones Throw-core was hot shit back in the day.
So yeah, The Unseen was well received.
>>
When it comes to the underground scene as a whole, this album is bery highly praised, as it deserves, especially the 2000 version, not the 2004 re-release, even tho that was god tier in itself
>>
>>60864317
why dont i like this album? why dont i even like mf doom. i dont know why i jsut cant though. havent listened to much doom but i def dont like his beats.
>>
>>60864465
Yeah the album shifts significantly from Real Eyes to Come on Feet but both of those tracks are so important to the album as a whole.
>>
>>60865411
This probably isn't just me, but I really only have an open mind if I WANT to. This whole scene was something I was so incredibly intrigued by so I kept listening to it until I was super into it. I might just be a strange case.
>>
>>60864317
this is such a good album to fall asleep to, great for rainy train rides too
>>
>>60865893
This 2bh. First time i listened to this i put it on while going to bed. THC may or may not have been involved as well.
>inb4 weed lmao
This has honestly become one of my favorite albums, i wish i could listen to it for the first time again.
>>
>>60864465
it definitely has a psychedelic atmosphere, Madlib wrote/recorded it on a shrooms binge
>>
>>60867738
Yeah, I agree that it's totally psychedelic; I only said "almost" because people on /mu/ have a tendency to be touchy about where/what genres that term can be applied to, lol.

Also, just the way the back and forth between Madlib and "Lord Quas" are played out give it a distinct schizophrenic feel - like he's having some identity crisis only adds to the trippiness.
>>
>>60867951
he made a collab....with himself
>>
>>60865411

Have you tried his collab with freddie gibbs? If you want a good instrumental album scope out shades of blue, it's a instrumental masterpiece.
>>
It took a few listens to fully absorb but I fucking love this album. I think Stones Throw is the tightest label out...will continue to support those dudes for as long as they are around.
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.