[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Music Production General - /prod/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13
File: SomeChinkFuck.jpg (982 KB, 1086x1265) Image search: [Google]
SomeChinkFuck.jpg
982 KB, 1086x1265
Edition where I had to search a shitty copypasta

>8 hours of field recordings of a jew speaking about anime edition
Post the tracks you're working on, discuss general music production. Learn why cuties love modulars and why moot thinks general threads are just chatrooms.

Remember to use:
>clyp.it for WIPs
>soundcloud for completed tracks and getting called a fag for not going to soundcloud threads.

Stuff:
>Pastebin - Links, books, videos, articles and stuff
http://pastebin.com/pYGCLu6q

>/prod/ wiki - looking for contributors (wink, wink)
http://mu-sic-production.wikia.com/wiki//mu/sic_Production_Wiki
>>
>>60861334

Hey /prod/ people, does transferring a digital DAW song to tape make it sound like it was recorded directly to tape, or better or worse?
>>
where is lunga
>>
Does anyone know why ableton is swinging my audio? When I record into ableton the audio at start of the bar is always off by a different amount on each bar. (not a consistent 10ms delay or something like that)
>>
>>60862018
Don't disrespect shigeru miyamoto
>>
I have a 25$ voucher for Native Instruments. What should I get?
My options are
Skanner XT
Supercharger and
Driver

I am looking to make some industrial rock music. Maybe some even EBM.
>>
>>60861787
It sounds like it was recorded to tape imo. No doubt there are people out there who would say otherwise. But yeah i do this a lot, mix in my DAW, out to tape.
>>
>>60862500
>EBM

You want to make Edible Boy Mayonnaise? like cum? You're disgusting

but seriously as for your question, just get the one you want and pegleg the others
>>
>>60861787
Not like it was recorded to tape, but like a recorded song that was then bounced to tape. There's something special about directly recording instruments to tape, so I treat it like a preamp stage before the ADC. You lose fidelity each time you bounce with tape as well, so it's better to start with tape and finish in the DAW.
>>
I use FL studio 12. Where can I find a guitar that doesn't sound like complete shit (like FL Slayer)
>>
are studio monitors absolutely necessary? can I get by with a pair of fairly 'neutral' sounding speakers?
>>
>>60862930
Record a real guitar.

Or google "Guitar library" and buy / torrent something that will never quite sound as good as the real thing.
>>
File: 52.jpg (9 KB, 106x108) Image search: [Google]
52.jpg
9 KB, 106x108
>tfw you want to read some of the books in the pastebin, but they all 404

Music for this suffering?
>>
How, in MIDI format, preform hi-hat stepping.
I mean opening and closing the hi-hats with 16th notes with midi.

https://clyp.it/v01t5nty Here I am doing in wrong.
>>
https://clyp.it/05niozp1 kill me
>>
where do i go from here
https://clyp.it/jaxuiiwm
>>
>>60864679
Not bad senpai. I am liking the lead and buildup to the cutoff.
9/10 senpai.
>>
File: wrestlemania_nes.gif (238 KB, 376x118) Image search: [Google]
wrestlemania_nes.gif
238 KB, 376x118
>>60864679
>https://clyp.it/05niozp1
>mfw
>>
>>60862169
you can change the track delay. As long as its out by a consistent amount this can help. I've used this before with some success.

I'de recommend just recording your part on its own, fixing it then layering stuff on that. I'm sure someone professional would give you a very different answer.

(bedroom producer)
>>
>>60864764
massive key/chord change. bring a melody into play. let it do that for a minute and then let it dissolve back into the small regular groove again.

total runtime will be about 4:15
>>
Made a separate thread for this but this seems like a better place to ask.

Is there a way to get a decent distortion effect out of ableton and its inbuilt plugins or am I going to have to start investing in some real hardware for this?
>>
>>60864679
Reverb / delays?
>>
File: Photo on 6-12-15 at 9.46 PM.jpg (118 KB, 596x664) Image search: [Google]
Photo on 6-12-15 at 9.46 PM.jpg
118 KB, 596x664
Check it out /prod/sters!

My friend has a cheep First Act kid's drum kit, and his son broke the snare drum. SO he let me take it. FINALLY I have a proper drum shell (at no cost) to make a subkick mic. I've got it wrapped in black plastic sheeting with all the hardwre installed over it, got the mic stand hardware installed, and got my 5" poly speaker cone picked out (it has a resonance around 20Hz and cutoff around 300Hz).

Tomorrow I'll get it all mounted and soldered with the XLR output. The back "head" is going to be nice black felt, with black felt lining around the speaker at the front. Gonna be beautiful. I had one ages ago I built out of an old speaker cabinet with an 8" speaker in it, but it was actually kinda crappy for various reasons. This one is gonna kick ass.
>>
no but really should I make a third hot pocket
I think I just might
>>
>>60865061
I posted this in the wrong thread oops
>>
>>60865061
>>60865087
in any case, just make your hot pocky anon. but starting tomorrow let's get the diet a little healthier ok?
>>
>>60862996
This. All synth guitars sound like total ass. Many real instruments will almost always sound totally shit. Not always the case but generally.. if you're going for a synth.. make it sound like a fuckin synth and if you want a guitar just use the real thing.
>>
>>60864770
>>60864775
thanks senpai. i've been really hard on myself for this track because i was doing it on hardware and i just couldn't get the timing on some parts the exact way i planned it out to be. especially with the parts where it all cuts out, i was trying silence the drums and close the synth filter instantly, then lower the peak/resonance on the synth, and load a new pattern over the course of one bar, then open the filter again. i'm using a volca bass, it would be way easier if i had a way of sequencing whole patterns together.

>>60864925
i'll try those out next thanks. should i put them on the synth, drums, or the mix of the two?
>>
>>60865205
Put them on whatever and see what it sounds like. You might have to use them in lots of different ways to get a decent sound.

Usually less is more with them however you can totally break the rules and just start wrecking shit with them.

I usually have a short / long reverb for separate instruments depending on what they are (snares and hats work well with this setup I've found) as well as a short / long verb on some sends. Throw a few types of delay on some send tracks too for good measure.

I've found that if you mix into the return track.. do a little automation spike that goes up immediately and very sharply back down. This gives you a burst of delay but won't muddy your mix up entirely (works well with reverb too!)

Use them to blend stuff.. use them for breakdowns, intros, outros. Whenever you want to push something back (quieter + spacially further away sounding).

Make sure you cut the living fuck out of the low end with them though or your guna have a bad time.

Sounding good though dude! really liking how it isn't just totally generic and like some of the shit kids are making these days. Some nice acid lines in there!

I've got the volcas. I've not yet cracked getting three of them working with this setup (yet) even though its probably not all that difficult but have you tried a USB-Midi cable and just writing midi parts in your DAW? I do this every time and although it sometimes fucks up and I generally have to remember how to do it each time which is annoying works 100 billion times more efficiently than with little 16 note parts + you can buy the full midi capability pack that someone wrote and automate all the filters and shit through the midi cable also which is only like £30
>>
File: 12312454.png (360 KB, 639x635) Image search: [Google]
12312454.png
360 KB, 639x635
Anyone have experience with the a Focusrite Scarlett 2i2?
I was going to use it with a pair of KRK Rokit 6" monitors and a KRK K10S Subwoofer.
Yay or neigh.
>>
>>60865510
Own KRKS. Yes they sound nice, are vibey speakers with loads of extra bass being pushed out of them in the port.

However they will fuck your mixes up entirely because of the port.

If you want nice mixes that work on lots of systems.. by all means try using them but I doubt you'll be as happy as if you went for something like a genelec.
>>
>>60865510
i have Rokit 8's and the 10s Subwoofer. there are haters out there but i think they're good. the 10s is nice (although since i bought mine they've come out with a 12" one that's better!). make sure you work-out the best placement for your subwoofer to get as much low oompf out of it as you can.

i haven't used the scarlett but i've used many innafaces and many focusrite things, i couldn't imagine it not being satisfactory. make sure you buy proper balanced cables for your speakers though
>>
Took me all day to make this shitty remix in LMMS...

Thoughts?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGrYhuMj4V4
>>
>>60865510
I think the subwoof might be complete shit but i'm not sure. Generally people who know what they're doing laugh mockingly at anyone who buys KRK so bear that in mind.
>>
>>60865671
Yup I do like my KRKS! they are good.
Just understand that the frequency response is not accurate. Especially in the low end. So the minute you put your mix on something that doesn't have that curve it's going to sound really different.

You are also definitely paying for loudness rather than clarity.

Just do some proper research as to what makes other speakers better for mixing on.
>>
currently mixing some cheesy generic pop/rock stuff for a band I recorded

clyp.it/sqqh0cyv

how can I make this less shitty
>>
File: waves.jpg (309 KB, 1342x1756) Image search: [Google]
waves.jpg
309 KB, 1342x1756
>>60864793
I think it's something with ableton because the distance between the notes is +/- .002 seconds difference in audacity, but it's way off in ableton. Pic related.
>>
File: sadas.jpg (7 KB, 666x54) Image search: [Google]
sadas.jpg
7 KB, 666x54
>>60865849
>>60865849
>>
File: krk-wofk-80156-1.png (899 KB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
krk-wofk-80156-1.png
899 KB, 1000x1000
>>60865726
I know my stuff anon, I'm aware. Nothing's perfect, and at the time these were on a massive sale and it's what I could afford. Low end response has a lot to do with the room as well (arguably more to do with the room than anything else) so with proper placement and treatment you can make the best out of it without excessive emphasis.

But yeah, these aren't fantastic but they're good. It all comes down to being good at understanding your monitoring, so you aren't compensating like a fool. I bought mine back in 2007, when they weren't meme speakers yet. And they were soooo much better than what I had. Sadly, because they still work and I've taken care of them and kept them in mint condition, I can't bring myself to drop the dollarydoos and quid on replacement speakers. Not when there's a whole world of mics and amp I simply MUST HAVE!
>>
>>60865425
thanks i'll keep that reverb stuff in mind.
>you can totally break the rules and just start wrecking shit with them.
lol yeah i already found by setting the delay time on my fx unit (boss me-50) very low and cranking the feedback shit can get crazy
i also really appreciate the feedback. i think acid is probably somewhat unique for here but i listen to it often (as well as as much old/new techno as i can find) so i have much to compare myself to/aim for.
the DAW thing popped into my head as i was posting here. I could probaby reinstall ableton or something and try that, though i am really attracted to the whole groovebox sequencer style. whats this about a full midi capability pack?
>>
>>60865849
Yup probably! Are you using a midi to usb cable? I'm usually a few ms out but I generally just record the part and shift the start of the clip afterwards. Sometimes parts just go a bit out though irregardless. I've not found this to be a bad thing if its only a few ms (makes it sound less static)

https://soundcloud.com/settee-coffee/example/s-3xN5P

Todays sketch. Theres some delay going on with the chord sound and probably some reverb in there. Its pretty shit but there you go! let me know what you think.
>>
>>60865932
sorry to condescend if i came across that way (& fuck you too obviously)
Yup, I'm generally paying much closer attention to what my meters are saying whilst using them.

I can remember my upgrade too. OH MY GOD EVERYTHING SOUNDS SO MUCH BETTER... and oh my god some of these mixes sound so much worse.

Yup, i'm probably looking at moar hardware units and a proper desk before I go for any more speakers. Plus its headphones for me almost all the time. Feeling the need to smash stuff volume wise very rarely these days.
>>
>>60865510
Alrighty. General consensus reports that they're widely used and good at what they do. Seems alright to me price/performance. I'm a little concerned by what some of you are saying when talking about monitors with a better balance but as a first step into actually decent speakers, I'll take my chances. Thanks.
>>
>>60865955
was also thinking of getting the volca sample, so i could load in samples of other drum machines and use that. would also be cool to process them too like slow/pitch them down like this:
https://soundcloud.com/alvin-thechipmunkson16sp/walk-like-an-egyptian
this is a joke track but those drums are so hard, i love it.
>>
>>60862993
>triggered

at least get studio headphones.... if you're mixing at all. otherwise it's whatever if you're just focussing on the music atm, but still, that's something you should learn.
>>
https://clyp.it/xysvfj1z
can someone give me some feedback pls? thanks.
>>
>>60866106
nah i didn't mean to imply you were condescending. i just worded my response weird.
>>
>>60866242
Its just slightly painful that in a years time or so when you talk to someone who really knows their shit. They'll point out you could have got something cheaper that does the job better and all the mixes you've subsequently done on the KRKS are totally garbage. They are widely used. Very much loved (I really enjoy using mine) so go for it. Just be aware.
>>
File: 1112643.png (65 KB, 275x281) Image search: [Google]
1112643.png
65 KB, 275x281
>>60865510
>>60866242
NO NO NO GOD DAMNIT
FUCK THE FUCKING 2I2

just google 2i2 clipping or headroom or whatever. they have huge problems there. anyone who says different hasn't used them or is a noob who hasn't used anything else... or possibly uses far more expensive mics. there is better out there in the price range.
>>
>>60866358
yup sick as fuck. keep it up.
Maybe drop your high down a bit.
>>
>>60866436
I thought the high-z input stage was the only thing affected by that
>>
>>60866436
hahah this so much.
just splergh out 3x the amount on a motu and don't look back.

Theres affordable shit, and then theres absolutely solid gear for a tinsy bit more really.
>>
>>60866401
I figured as much. That's a general rule of thumb when dealing with anything involving technology.
>>60866436
I only see reports from people using it with guitars which I won't be utilizing. Does the same clipping happen with microphones?
What would be an alternative in the same price range?
>>
>>60866523
>3x the amount on a motu and don't look back.

Different anon, which Motu unit? I'm considering an 8 channel USB interface that would rival the 18i20. What do?!
>>
>>60865510
This >>60865687

If you want cheaper good monitors look into Sonodyne. It's an Indian company, but the products are solid.
>>
>>60866436
Borrowed a 2i2 while I was moving. Didn't really have too much of an issue. What I noticed was the controls seem to have a weird sweep on them, like it'd go from fine to clipping in an instant.

Got some better stuff in the rack, but my el-cheapo do-shit-quick interface is an old Yamaha GO46 now. It's a great little unit considering it cost me nothing.
>>
>>60867727
>controls seem to have a weird sweep on them, like it'd go from fine to clipping in an instant.
>zero headroom
>>
>>60868189
I meant it more like a gain sweep. Imagine if the sweep from 5-10 was on 5-6 instead and you'll get what I mean.

I'd probably grab a 22VSL over a 2i2, but PreSonus stuff is cheaper in this country.
>>
>>60866436
What about the 2i4?
>>
>genres like , cloud rap, acid rap, vaporwave
theyre the same technique every song. How can people even "produce" them when its just parroting
>>
posting this because i'm very alone. having no one to collab with sux

https://clyp.it/wcy0kube
>>
>>60862993
Monitors are honestly the best music purchase I made, it's like a whole new world of listening to music.
>>
>>60865000
>subkick mic
I have no idea what that is, but post pics.
>>
File: IfMlltF.jpg (22 KB, 458x350) Image search: [Google]
IfMlltF.jpg
22 KB, 458x350
>>60870494
i will when it's done. here's the yamaha subkick mic that it's based off of. it uses a speaker cone as a microphone that only picks up low Hz. great for kick drums, but eveb better for bass cabs imho

I'm hoping i can get it done tomorrow
>>
File: tx81z.jpg (15 KB, 600x142) Image search: [Google]
tx81z.jpg
15 KB, 600x142
http://vocaroo.com/i/s00cXpJtGIn7
I've got a staticy synth output. A TX81Z. This is the headphone output, the main out is totally unusable. I've heard other people have that problem. Any idea how I can check if it's environmental or intrinsic? What static reduction techniques can I use?
Sorry for the bad track, still trying to figure out how to record midi so I can layer sounds and revise my playing easier.
>>
how do i into production properly? what will i need to buy/read/learn/etc?
>>
I've moved my folder with Kontakt libraries (can't actually add them under libraries, but anyway). Now it wants me to locate every library whenever I open an old project.

The dialogue even has an automatic "Search filesystem" button, but it doesn't do a thing. How do I make it do a thing?
>>
>>60870871
>properly
Fucking around until you get good is the proper way desu. Whenever you get stuck, look for youtube tutorials or ask /prod/. When you screw up and it doesn't get you where you wanted to go, think of it as an opportunity and see where else you could get from there.
Get a common DAW, get some popular VSTs, get decent speakers and an interface and whatever input devices you think you'll need to start with (depends on your style), but don't forget it's usually the skills that limit you rather than the tools.
You might wanna read something like Mixing secrets for the small studio, but fucking around is a higher priority. It's not a difficult book by any means, but I think you'd have trouble absorbing it if you've never even encountered the types of problems it advises you on.
>>
>>60871559
that's what i've been doing, sorta. my girlfriend is a huge music nerd and helps me with whatever theory she thinks i need to know, but i want to get good and turn my fucking around into something.
>>
>>60870353
I'm awful and busy so this isn't an offer, but what kind of collab do you want?
The one thing your track is really missing that I could understand not providing yourself is vocals. Okay, and mastering.
Otherwise, you could just get better at /prod/ing, right? You could maybe get some instrumentalists, but the track doesn't desperately need an ukulele.
I don't really understand collaborating on production desu.
>>
File: 1449278838396.jpg (9 KB, 279x297) Image search: [Google]
1449278838396.jpg
9 KB, 279x297
here's a pretty skeletal wip. doesnt progress much but you get the idea of what it's doing

https://clyp.it/24bfy4p5

im wondering if anyone else mixes loud. i'm self-taught since i was around 11 so my workflow is riddled with bad habits. biggest of which is that i mix at a high volume with a signal clipper on the master, which emulated the sound of clipping without it actually going over 0db. I just minimize the clipping distortion by mixing it well but keep it as loud as it can be while still listenable. its a terrible habit but so far its gotten me good results and landed me a release on a semi-famous label.

>>60870353
pretty cool. i like the fill at 0:24. textures are nice. stuff like the chiptune flourishes like at 0:38 are pretty bland imo but the production is on point. at a creative standpoint id suggest stepping out of your comfort zone a little more because so far this track isn't doing much new.

a lot of the percussion also has some irritating high end, i'd lower frequencies around 9khz a lot because that tends to hurt people's ears when its too loud, but its better in terms of mixing than I can do

>>60870871
download a DAW and make some music. its not gonna be good right away. just start and dont stop. any sort of art is like 10% talent and 90% persistence. source: 8 or so years of making bad music

>>60871614
>my girlfriend is a huge music nerd and helps me with whatever theory she thinks i need to know
9999% jealous. gf is a visual artist and while she's very talented i gain literally no knowledge from her art
>>
File: 1430016127211.jpg (116 KB, 800x693) Image search: [Google]
1430016127211.jpg
116 KB, 800x693
>>60871422
protip: keep all your libraries in a single folder (ideally just a folder on your main drive or external HDD) Projects dont like to look for libraries in different folders.

You can set up the "search filesystem" function in the kontakt options. Under the "Database" tab, you can add your folder(s) you want searched.

>tfw making music using general MIDI only
Really tests your creativity and automation control. Fun to push the pitch automation of an instrument to its limits.
The original challenge was to make spooky as fuck music using only general MIDI.
I can't even clyp.it them
>>
>>60871853
>making music using general MIDI only
I did that for almost a decade before I started actually producing, and I think it's the main reason why I can earn a living with music now. You need to really work on the arrangement in order to present something most people won't think sounds ridiculous and get the idea through, and that prepares you to make more with less too. Very few tricks available.
>>
>>60865828
Hey, this actually sounds really good already, mix is tight. I would say maybe some processing on the master buss, and something to bring out the highs more (but this will make things sound less natural in the end.) Band kinda sounded like queens of the stone age till the vocals came in.
>>
>>60861334
>>60863828
https://www.mediafire.com/folder/64bx81yayqzch/Production

Put this in the OP pasta next time, it was already there before.
>>
>>60871710
Hella dope. Gotta sc? Also imo the synth is too loud when it comes in, could use some space/verb. But thats my shitty two cents.
>>
>>60870353
Best electronic mix here. Don't stop.
>>
>>60872789
soundcloud.com/bxxf
not much new stuff, but thanks. i'll take into account your advice on the levels. i prefer delay to verbs but i'll see if it can work
>>
https://clyp.it/kyhgf2oh
Dark drone. My first self produced electronic track. Feedback please.
>>
Stupid trap song I made because I was bored, what do you guys think?

https://clyp.it/qhahn0dw
>>
>>60872743
thanks for the feedback man
I won't do the mastering so I was a bit hesitant to touch the main bus, but I guess you're right and I'll glue that shit together a tad
>>
>>60864839
try the plug and mix distortion vsts, korg mde-x, or fabfilter saturn

those all sound better than ableton's distortion to me
>>
>>60866664
>What would be an alternative in the same price range?
tascam has some decent ones

i was just mentioning in the last /prod/ how nobody ever recommends them and always recommends focusrite, but i've owned a few different tascam interfaces and i have no complaints
>>
https://clyp.it/n00ohpqm Made this. What kind of instruments would fit with this?
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 13

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.