[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can someone please explain to me how heavy metal is based off
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1
Can someone please explain to me how heavy metal is based off of Classical Music
>>
A lot of metal heads get off on how "complex" the music is and pretend to like classical music to seem extra smart.
>>
As heavy metal became more established, bands began to experiment with moving away from blues-based structure and progression, moving into establishing complex polyphony in the interplay between melody, harmony and sub-harmony. This was exemplified by bands such as Iron Maiden and Judas Priest. In some instances these bands were even termed "neoclassical" due to their focus on late medieval chord structures and progressions.

One of the most defining features of modern heavy metal is quite possibly the use of arpeggio. Arpeggios are scales woven together and played at a rapid pace, with various repeats and skips in the scale to provide a rapid, fluttering musical narrative. Arpeggios were a late medieval development best exemplified by composers such as Vivaldi or Stravinsky who featured them heavily.

Where early heavy metal featured a blues modality, employing slow progression within their harmonies and largely flat keys, later bands began to employ a wider structure, employing neoclassical and medieval influences such as open or inverse chords, natural scales and counter-harmonies
>>
>>60861140
/thread
>>
>>60861140
this
just a few threads ago in /metal/ some mealtard tried to argue that classical was less complex because muh ABA form
>>
>>60861316
I like how everyone else in this thread is ignoring this post.

B I A S B O Y S
>>
>>60861447
>Iron Maiden and Judas Priest
>complex polyphony
>medieval chord structures
KEK
>>
>>60861447
that guy knows nothing about music
>>
>>60861447
Believe it or not your post is going to be biased as well.
Along with that reply.
>>
>>60861316
This is close to being correct but those bands are never called neoclassical and your definition of arpeggio is disgustingly wrong.

Basically some metal (sometimes referred to as neoclassical metal) has lots of classical-style harmony, counterpoint, and arpeggios.

Symphonic metal (and some prog) borrows lots of instrumentation from symphonies (but rarely melodies).

That's pretty much the extent of actual classical influence on metal in general, but obviously there are small exceptions for the cases of individual bands/albums/songs.
>>
It's not? It's built on blues and hard rock, sometimes punk. It arrives at parallel points to classical sometimes, but it's not based on it.
>>
>>60861098
sacre du printemps?
>>
>>60861447
>>60861462
>>60861473
>>60861497
It's a pasta and it's about as accurate as the 'rotational velocidensity' one.

You guys are living proof /mu/ knows absolutely nothing about music.
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.