[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
This is probably a dumb question but what does it mean when the
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1
This is probably a dumb question but what does it mean when the waves stretch further down to the bottom than to the top when viewing a sound file in audacity. Pic related.
>>
>>60860084
Also what does inverting it do? I can never hear a difference
>>
try asking /prod/
>>
>>60860084
Different harmonics in the instrument, it doesn't really mean anything. When I make brassy synth sounds that tends to happen. Inverting the wave flips the wave around, you won't hear anything different. It's used to stop phasing,
>>
Doesn't it mean more low end?
>>
>>60860084

its playing more on one channel than the other.
>>
>>60860355
wrong. There's two charts. One for left. One for right.
>>
>>60860355
bad dubs get
>>
>>60860159
yeah I want to know this too
>>
Sound melts at room temperature
>>
the waves below the centre line are bass and the ones above it are treble
>>
>>60860297
oh my god, you clearly have no place anywhere near a computer. please go.
>>
>>60860297
someone slept through middle school physics thinking it would have no impact on "the real world"
>>
that's caused by DC offset
>>
>>60860159
I don't know how it changes the actual sound, but if you split a stereo track, invert only one channel, and then mix both channels into a mono track, any sounds playing with equal volume in both channels will be completely cancelled out (because the inverted waveform is the exact opposite sound of what's playing in the other channel, which turns the waveform into a flat line).

Also it just generally sounds pretty weird when you invert one channel and keep them stereo because technically the sounds are still exact opposites but because they're coming out of two speakers/headphones you can hear both at the same time.
>>
>>60860084
it looks like most of the activity rests on the centre line
my guess is that it's the peak part of a kick drum which just happens to be below the centre line each time, and not dc offset
>>
It's caused by excessive eq, causing a phase shift. Try using a linear phase eq.
>>
>>60861556
I'm thinking bingo
>>
>>60861336
>>60861441
They don't teach wav forms in audacity in physic class you dipshits
>>
>>60860159
>>60860084
My guess, is that, if you think of a speaker, when the cone vibrates, it moves in and out, so I think that the blue wave is supposed to represent the position of the cone relative to the "center" (where it would be with no music playing). That's my guess.
>>
>>60860084
more lows than highs
>>
It means that the rarefaction (region of low air pressure) has more information than the compression (up)
>>
>>60862440

>this only applies to the one time I encounter it
>the rest of you are therefore dumb
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.