[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is Drake the most popular rapper of all time? I mean he has
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8
File: F100_Drake_Cover_FINAL_tuqta0.jpg (358 KB, 1440x1764) Image search: [Google]
F100_Drake_Cover_FINAL_tuqta0.jpg
358 KB, 1440x1764
is Drake the most popular rapper of all time?

I mean he has much more corssover appeal than 2pac/biggie/eminem, it makes sense
>>
>>60855930
can't say really we are in the internet age where ppl over blow things for a week then move on to the next thing
>>
Serious question, how old are you
I somehow doubt you're old enough to browse this site if you think Drake is as popular as rap music's gotten in the mainstream
>>
>>60855930
He's got the D on his head.
>>
>>60855930
you do know the dirty secret behind The Fader don't you?
>>
>>60855930
Eminem is just as popular as Drake
>>
>>60856036
please enlighten me

>>60856074
tell me
>>
>>60856152
The Fader is 100% pr-driven and sales based. They won't cover your music unless you pay them a specific amount of money. That's how they make their business. All of their staff (who also do shit for pitchfork, stereogum, etc.) are all sales department people who only deal in that and not actual journalism.

They're not a legitimate source for actual music criticism. It's totally pr-driven.
>>
>>60856251
Can I get a ciation?
>>
>>60856074
go on..
>>
i just find it weird how suddenly the public perception of drake changed

i remember when NO ONE took him seriously, and he was a total joke, even before the 'drake the type of nigga' thing. and now its like even the most hipster of faggots praise him, as well as the plebbest of plebs
>>
>>60856276
*citation
>>
>>60856251
no shit lol i thought you were gonna say something interesting

you do realise this is like every major magazine
>>
>>60856276
This is kinda insider industry stuff. I don't expect you to believe me. I've been having these back-and-forth messages with one music critic (for a much smaller music site but still relevant and talked about on /mu/) that said this and that's how I know. He's in the whole music journalism industry so that's how he has this info. Again, I don't expect you to believe me. but thats how i found out.
>>
>>60856294
Lmao what the fuck he's still a joke.
All he does it rap about his feelings while being passive aggressive.
>>
>>60856294
It's because he changed his image.

Also, him destroying Meek Mill's career at the height of summer... Well, that was pure win / win for him.
>>
>>60856326
yea I know but my point is now hes ABSURDLY popular, whereas before he seemed to always be reflexively dismissed by basically everyone
>>
>>60856318
well, not exactly...

p4k will still cover your shit if you don't pay them money, but only if you're interesting and hype-worthy enough. p4k aren't as bad as The Fader when it comes to this stuff but they aren't entirely innocent either.

not every music site does this. tinymixtapes and other site around that stature have never done that but magazines in the big leagues like Fader are totally guilty of this shit.

i guess /mu/ really is right at the end of the day when they say we should post more about independent sites like TMT rather than p4k
>>
File: CJLNWsUUEAAFLOJ.jpg (108 KB, 1012x1024) Image search: [Google]
CJLNWsUUEAAFLOJ.jpg
108 KB, 1012x1024
>>60856319
so what are the GOOD sites??
>>
>>60855987
Drakes been massive for years now man....
>>
>>60856355
Probably because of >>60856345
>>
>>60856319
it's the same everywhere

>mag calls up asking for promo from label
>label sends promo
>2 days later mag calls again asking if label wants to buy ad
>if label buys ad then review = positive, else review = negative

i even heard this about way more reputable mags than these rags
>>
>>60856378
TinyMixTapes are great. So are FACT Magazine (a great replacement for Fader). I wouldn't mind so much saying that you should read Dummy Mag but I'm not entirely sure if they're completely innocent either.

My advice: read the smaller ones, they're almost always your best bet for reading legitimate, non-pr-driven sources of music criticism.
>>
>>60856457
>TinyMixTapes are great.
TMT is garbage, worse than p4k half the time
>>
>>60856457
fantano is still good right...
>>
>>60856488
yes but they're not pr-driven and don't accept cash for coverage. that's why i suggested them. they're more legitimate than sales departments like p4k or fader. just saying.
>>
>>60856499
yes but he just isn't as professional. he's legitimate and gives his honest opinion and isn;t controlled by a whole corporation, which is good.

fantano is hated by most music critics in the industry btw. so he really isn't respected but he is, ironically, more legitimate and honest.
>>
50 and lil wayne peaked at a higher popularity/ubiquity than drake is now, but theres nothing stopping him from getting there in the next couple of months as Vft6 comes out, he releases more sneaks, the tabloids start peering into his personal life more just as they did with kanye, etc., etc.
>>
>>60855930
I can't fucking look at this kike face
>>
>>60856457
even a lot of small magazines are guilty. people will say anything to look cool such as lying about artists hometowns to make them seem ghetto

journalism is bullshit
>>
>>60856355
Drake has always been really popular regardless if he was a joke or not
>>
>>60856555
it may appear that way but as someone who has been told this stuff it isn't really the case. i agree that not everybody is 100% innocent and safe when it comes to this shit but i'm just saying what i was told by a music critic who has experience in the industry.

i dont want to act like i'm some authority figure on this shit, i really don't, i'm just saying shit that's pretty well known in music critic circles.
>>
File: B9bvhj5CQAEfcWZ.png (124 KB, 659x503) Image search: [Google]
B9bvhj5CQAEfcWZ.png
124 KB, 659x503
>>60856541
but i never felt like A LOT of people (especially girls) were into 50 or wayne, sure they loved in da club and lollipop etc.

but with drake a lot of girls legit love his albums
>>
File: gerstmann.png (1 MB, 1202x639) Image search: [Google]
gerstmann.png
1 MB, 1202x639
>>60856439
>>60856457
>>60856369
>>60856319
>>60856251
So who is the Jeff Gerstmann of music criticism?
>>
>>60856540
Why is fantano hated by music critics?
>>
Who the fuck is Drake?
>>
>>60855930
from the catalog, scrolling by, it looked a little like Drake made the Cover of Wire. That would have been funny desu
>>
>>60856579
his appeal is definitely way broader these past couple years than ever before
>>
>>60856623
there are a few reasons...

one if because of the prominent overtake of tumblr feminists in the music industry. fantano's recent use of thatistheplan videos where he bashes "SJWs" and social justice and shit like that makes him an automatic bulls eye for open hatred in music critic circles.

another reason is that he just isn't as professional. he can come off as quite annoying to critics who do written reviews instead of youtube videos so he may just seem like some internet youtube celebrity to them rather than a legitimate critic.

also he openly admits that he browses 4chan and makes /mu/ jokes all the time, which is, let me tell you, an immediate blow to your credibility in the music industry as a whole. don't associate yourself with 4chan like Fantano does, ever.
>>
>>60856599
Social media hivemind. Drake has been using that to his advantage recently. But he's not the absolute peak of popularity, close though.
>>
>>60856674
*this year

See >>60856690
>>
>>60856597
>muh inside knowledge
this is basic stuff
the point is is that journalism is professional gossiping so no wonder that everything is exagerrated and fabricated

you jsut have to bare in mind that whatever article you read has been written by someone with an opinion that wants as many people to read their shit as possible
>>
>>60856689
>>60856540
lmao you are talking out of your fucking ass

are you seriously pretending to speak for 'most music critics' on their opinion of a relatively irrelevant youtuber?

while also pretending those opinions would have anything to do with 'tumblr feminist SJWs' and 4chan? holy shit dude. lazy.
>>
>>60856690
>>60856728
This is dumb as hell.
Even without any social media girls still love him.
It's the emotional music (songs about feelings, relationships, break ups, etc) that fuels their love Drake.
>>
>>60856811
>implying millions of people dont make emotional music
>>
>>60856811
Yeah we get that girls love him, but when we're talking about him being the most popular rapper ever, there's more to it than that.
>>
>>60856784
i'm serious dude. again, i don't want to act like i'm some authority figure on this shit, but as someone whos witnessed stuff like this it makes a lot of sense.

i'm on twitter and i follow a bunch of music critics for every magazine and blog you can imagine. if i twitter search "theneedledrop" or "fantano" and select "from people you follow" i'll see that it's nothing but hate from him.

remember when Craig Jenkins of p4k started that pointless twitter fight with him? it was totally out of the blue and for no reason, which is because he's been on their enemies list for a while now.
>>
>>60856811
this, he basically gets the whole r&b demographic as fans, his potential fanbase is already much larger than any rapper ever
>>
>>60856811
>without social media
This claim can't be made as Drake has never promoted himself without social media
>>
>>60856784
i don't know if you know this but most people who don't browse or use 4chan hate 4chan.
>>
>>60856857
I didn't ya dummy.
It's Drakes excess, sappy like emotion that draws people in.
>>
>>60856859
what? thats a huge deal, thats 50% of the population as potential fans, wu-tang didnt have that, 2pac didnt have that
>>
>>60856884
Wow I meant even girls that may not have social media.
My error for not explicitly saying so.
>>
>>60856899
vanilla ice had it tho
>>
>>60856916
>even girls that may not have social media

which is to say, no one in the first world
>>
>>60856889
Lmao of course every sensible human being is going to hate 4chan if they don't actually go on it.
I still have a love/hate relationship with this website.
I mean given its reputation, of course everyone's going to hate it.
>>
>>60856982
yeah i know which explains a guy like Fantano who constantly makes references to 4chan and /mu/ being hated by music critics in the industry.
>>
>>60856899
But with Drake the joke before this year was that he was too emotional and he turned off a lot of male fans. There was a stigma around him for a while. The events of this summer and his use of social media was the deciding factor.
>>
>>60856940
vanilla ice was made by labels, just like iggy azalea etc.

drake is a legit (lol) rapper
>>
>>60856889
not true, most of those people have literally no opinion on 4chan because they dont know about it or care what it is

dont pretend like this site is edgy or cool man. its just a website
>>
>>60857168
see:
>>60856982

they see words like "nigger" and "faggot" all the time and hear about the site in the news about having users shoot up schools and shit.

you see how tumblr hates it so much? that's because the music journalism industry is nothing but tumblr users now. of course they're going to hate fantano.
>>
>>60856674
he shed the "sensitive rapper" thing with IYRTITL and with the meek beef and now he prob has the widest appeal of any mainstream artist with pop songs like hotline bling
>>
>>60857232
>you see how tumblr hates it so much? that's because the music journalism industry is nothing but tumblr users now. of course they're going to hate fantano.
This is dumb.
People hate Flandingo because he gets his grimy little hands on everything and his fanboys are cancer incarnate.
>>
File: CATe0v5UUAAaNxX.jpg (20 KB, 500x224) Image search: [Google]
CATe0v5UUAAaNxX.jpg
20 KB, 500x224
yes Drake is, theres more people who like drake than who liked any other rapper ever, Drake is THE rapper
>>
Eminem was way bigger in his time than Aubrey is now
>>
>>60856294
because of his mixtape
>>
>>60856106
His old hits are, for sure, but he stays quiet for too long nowadays. His star is fading out super quick.
>>
File: 1431701092-20150515.png (169 KB, 684x864) Image search: [Google]
1431701092-20150515.png
169 KB, 684x864
>>60857678
well we are comparing peaks, eminem at his peak vs drake at his peak,

idunno i still think drake is bigger, but there is no real way to measure it i guess...
>>
>>60857232
I hate fantano becauuse he's got a stupid face and he has the most annoying posse of fans this side of *anything* that tumblr likes. They're just a fucking cancerous.
Also music journalism don't like him because he doesn't even try to keep pretences at professionalism. Most music journalists aren't professional, but at least they try to pretend to be grownups, kekthony mandingo just spouts random bullshit and memes.
>>
>>60857780
I can confirm that this is also true.
>>
>>60855930
Eminem has been as popular for a longer amount of time.
>>
>>60857610
t. Ebinem stan
I may hate Drake but I hate stans the most.
>>
>>60857780
yes but his reviews are legit, he's not about pretenses, or appearing a certain way, he is just real, i gotta respect him for that, honestly its whats great about the internet age, meanwhile these 'professional' journalist are just trying to survive in their commercial old fashioned world, i dont even understand how fantano makes money though
>>
>>60857610
>>60857824
samefag
>>
>>60857859
see:
>>60856540
>>
>>60856439
This is true. A band i worked for had a review go from negative to positive due to label threatening to pull ads .
>>
>>60856036
Not OP, nor a Drake fan, but besides Eminem and maybe Wayne, who would you say is more popular than Drake?
>>
Come election time drake's mopey dopey shit ain't gonna fly
when trump gets in office
>>
>>60856036
Full blown autism in this post desu.
>>
>>60857740
>but there is no real way to measure it i guess...
Album sales works pretty well. Even if you throw out Em's early career numbers due to people buying more albums in the early 2000's (the MMLP moved 30 million copies, by the way) and just look at their last release, MMLP 2 outsold Nothing Was the Same. Not by much in the US, but by far more worldwide.
>>
>>60857924
After 8 years of democrat we were bound for a republican win, because that's how things go, everyone is tired of the left, the media is tired of the left, comedians can't stop making fun of the left because the left is now "the man". The actual left, mind you, not tumblr shit.

But if trump wins -and he could- the blowback against the right is going to start in as little as a year.
>>
File: nope.jpg (9 KB, 320x83) Image search: [Google]
nope.jpg
9 KB, 320x83
>>60857874
>>
>>60857678
Super quick? It's been like 15 years and he's still one of the biggest popstars in the industry.
>>
>>60857780
If you aren't professional why even pretend.
>>
I like Drake. He was a bitch on Thank Me Later and Take Care, but ever since 2013, he's been flexing on shit. Hotline Bling is dope too, even his chick songs got better.
>>
File: 6788965.jpg (142 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
6788965.jpg
142 KB, 350x350
>>60857924
>when trump gets in office
There are people on /mu/ right now who actually think this is going to happen.
Thread replies: 86
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.