[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Where do I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2
File: tomwaits_1.jpg (63 KB, 606x600) Image search: [Google]
tomwaits_1.jpg
63 KB, 606x600
Where do I start?
>>
>>60855878
I started with Swordfishtrombones and that worked for me

Rain Dogs and Bone Machine would also work
>>
File: Tom Waits - Rain Dogs.jpg (29 KB, 280x280) Image search: [Google]
Tom Waits - Rain Dogs.jpg
29 KB, 280x280
If you can't just do it chronologically, I suggest this.

Start with Closing Time. If you like that, listen to The Heart of Saturday Night.

You could also start with Swordfishtrombones. If you like that, listen to Rain Dogs.

Then try Bone Machine. If you like that, listen to Mule Variations.

Basically his whole discography is phenomenal. Listen to it all.
>>
Ok thanks lad
>>
>>60855949
This is pretty accurate, although I would say also listen to Franks Wild Years after Rain Dogs, its a great album and similar to that specific style of Waits
>>
>>60855921

agree. his 70s stuff is a lot less interesting imo. he started to get weird with Swordfishtrombones. pretty much everything from then on is golden.
>>
Blue Valentine is underrated as fuck. Fucking gem
>>
I liked Rain Dogs immediately. 80's is still my fav era Innocent When You Dream being a fav. But for a second opinion...

When my dad heard me listening he gave me his old Waits vinyls starting at Closing time up to Swordfishtrombone. And a Rickie Lee Jones LP. He Singled out Martha and Tom Traubert's Blues as his favorites

Later I found that my Mom got in to him at Bone Machine. She rec'd I Don't Want to Grow Up and Hoist that Rag.
>>
>>60855878
Idk, i listened the whole discography and the only albums that are 100% decent are Closing Time and The Heart of a Saturday Night. Rest are too "muh drunktard voice" "muh creepy maniac voice" 4me
>>
He's an enigma, you just jump in.
>>
>>60856299
Agreed, but Michelle Williams is criminally underrated.

Much, much better than stiff Gosling?
>>
Men are the writers, women are the actors.

No part shall intervene.
Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.