[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Thinking about buying a cheap Ukulele that I can learn the basics
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2
File: 123457689678.jpg (42 KB, 500x261) Image search: [Google]
123457689678.jpg
42 KB, 500x261
Thinking about buying a cheap Ukulele that I can learn the basics on and see if it's something I want to continue doing as a hobby. Should I do it? is it fun?
>>
>>60853825
Dunno, its kind of a lame instrument. Might as well get a cheap guitar or mandolin so you don't feel like a college girl
>>
>>60853925
This, ukes are for white people who want to pretend they play an instrument. A Uke Bass however...
>>
>>60853825
>>60853925
>>60853993
Don't get one. Get a parlor guitar instead.
>>
>>60853925
>>60853993
>>60854019
eh I want something small to just plink on while I watch tv or something and relative easy to learn
>>
>>60854145
>eh I want something small to just plink on while I watch tv or something and relative easy to learn
A parlor guitar is that. It's a smaller guitar you can play in bed and stuff.

Or you could try something like a mandolin.
>>
>>60854145
a lot of electric guitars are smaller than you might think, I often play with mine unplugged while watching things
>>
Don't fall for the memes OP. Ukes catch a lot of flak because trendy white girls like them. They're lovely instruments for exactly what you want; extremely easy to play, comfortable to hold, and very relaxing/pleasant sounding to boot. I recommend a tenor uke; a good quality one will only run you about 100 bucks and strings are dirt cheap if you need replacements.
>>
senpai get a lute tbqh
>>
>>60854415
was thinking a concert size one for about $50 to start with and then maybe get a more expensive tenor in the future if I like it
>>
>>60854510
Not a bad idea. Most people think of ukes as just being soprano dumpsters but concerts, tenors, and basses are all really nice instruments if not a bit limited.
>>
>>60854598
a soprano sounds better then a concert or a tenor in my opinion but as a large man I think a concert whould fit me more comfortably
>>
>>60853825
In my experience

Yes it is fun, but

a. Don't expect to be a replacement for a guitar, it sound is crappy as fuck no matter how much money you spend on it
b. Getting good at Ukulele will cost you as much or even more than getting good at Guitar, Bass or any other string strummed instrument and it would sound way crappier.

On the other hand the positive aspects:

a. It's small and you can easily carry it with yourself with no trouble
b. Girls think is qt(if you're kinda handsome), so even if you're shitty as fuck at singing or soloing, strumming a few chords and singing a bit will do the trick
>>
>>60854716
Not really, a concert sounds better than a soprano for sure and it has almost the same size.
A Tenor is like a mix between a ukulele and a small guitar, and baritone is literally a small guitar (with 2 strings less)
>>
>>60854804
>Getting good at Ukulele will cost you as much or even more than getting good at Guitar

Nnnnnnnnnnnoooooooooo. A good uke is much, much cheaper than a good guitar, and ukes are a million times easier to play.
>>
>>60854804
1. Im not gonna pretend its a guitar, I think it sounds nice.
2. I will not spend any money on lessons just practise home as a hobby
3. not really gonna carry it around anyways
4. see end of point 2
>>
>>60854880
I didn't say it's as expensive or more expensive than a guitar, i've said that GETTING GOOD at ukulele is more difficult than getting good at guitar because you have less strings, the frets are obviously smaller, and to make it sound like a real instrument you have to do more tricks than just soloing or strumming, and that involves a lot of techniques like drum tapping, picado, learning a gazillion of arpeggios and so on. While getting a good sound on a guitar it's way easier since you have more strings, it sounds way much warmer and heavier and fuller and the size of a guitar is more related to an adult player, while an uke is made for people with small hands or children
>>
>>60854959
>i think it sounds nice
Eddie vedder made it sound nice, because he's fucking eddie vedder, and had a gazillion of expensive recording machines and great sound technicians, ukuleles in real life are way more crappier

> not really gonna carry it around anyways
then why buy something that is small and crappy?, buy a piano, a cello, a bass or something bigger, it will give you way more fun and will make you respectable between other people
>>
>>60855008
Oh. I saw "will cost you as much or even more than getting a good guitar".

Anyway, it depends on the skill level one wants to achieve. I'd still argue that a guitar is harder to master than a uke and is harder to play at a beginner level (barre chords, more pressure required to make a string ring clearly, more strings to keep track of), but maybe at an intermediate level like what you're describing the uke wins out.
>>
>>60853825
yes

ukulele is awesome, it sounds nice, its easy to play, girls love it, and you can take it anywhere.

i recommend you learn guitar as well and yknow every instrument you can too but that's common sense. get that uke man.
>>
>>60855091
if you can't make barre chords it means 2 things

1. your fingers are not strong enough
2. you suck at music and you should quit and kill yourself(or just quit, but i can't imagine my life without playing my guitar desu lol).
And there are no intermediate level on uke, 90% of the people i've met(including myself) were pretty bad at ukulele, only the small minority gets to be superb at ukulele, and im pretty sure they would be superb at any other instrument and they would sound way better.
>>
>>60855190
>your fingers are not strong enough

Yep. Which isn't a concern for uke players. The strings don't require anywhere near as much force.
>>
poorfag here, what is the cheapest possible guitar that's still good to learn with? I guess I'm not really a poorfag but I don't want to blow $300 on a guitar and then figure out 2 weeks later it's not for me.
>>
>>60855313
ask /gg/ my man
>>
>>60855313
Stop being jewish and get a seagull s6. they're just a smidge more than 300 bucks but they're actually quality instruments.
>>
>>60855233
>implying
unless you buy special strings, most strings for uke are extremely hard, i know seeing hawaiian people playing them like nothing make it seem easy, but for a beginner that never put a finger over a string i imagine it will be extremely difficult compared to guitar strings
>>
>>60855313
What kind of guitar are you looking for

Acoustic
Classical
Electric
Electroacoustic?

Then specify which genres do you like, take into account that if you like rock music you would want to buy an electric guitar, and that means also buying an amplifier
>>
save ukuleles for prison
play a parlor acoustic
>>60853925
>mandolin
fucking kek
>>
Let me put it this way OP
There was a guy i knew in sixth form who no one was really friends with
He would play his ukulele all the time when he was out the classroom and sometimes while he was in the classroom
One day someone got fed up of hearing such a shitty instrument all the time
He smashed that Ukulele and told the kid to fuck off
The kid bought a Ukulele the next day and that also got smashed
That kid then moved schools
>DONT BE THAT FUCKING KID
get a parlor guitar you faggot
>>
>>60856489
I like acoustic but I want to move onto electric eventually. That is, if I were to stick with learning guitar. I would get acoustic first because it's cheaper.
>>
>>60856680
nah, get an electric straight up senpai
>>
>>60856680
i was about to say this:
>>60856686

Don't believe in that bullshit of "you first need to learn classical or acoustic", if you don't like classical or acoustic sound just go with the electric guitar, because they're absolutely different instruments, in the sense that their mood is considerably different. Even between acoustic and classical the difference is abysmal, i had the three, first a classical, then an electric, then an acoustic, an electric again, just to find out that what i really needed was classical, and it's like 1 year that im playing classical and it just fits everything i want to play, i would still buy an electric or an acoustic but i think classical is what identify my tastes the more(which often involves world music, folk, bossa nova and so on, an acoustic would work too but i love the soft, warm, sound of nylon strings).
Moving from acoustic to electric is like moving from North Dakota to New York
>>
File: 1424967784273.jpg (20 KB, 328x326) Image search: [Google]
1424967784273.jpg
20 KB, 328x326
>>60856686
>mfw i tried to type " f a m"
>>
Uke's are pretty fun. I got one a year or two back after having played guitar before that so it was really easy. It's fun to mess around with sometimes at home an I've taken it with me when I went on a boat ride with some friends. Great fun. I'd get one if I were you OP. Besides they're like 50 bucks or something.
>>
>>60856872
I'm gonna tell you since none of your friends probably will
They fucking hate your ukulele and they wish you wouldn't fucking play it
>>
>>60856866
I do like acoustic. I want to play both acoustic and electric, the major problems being money and the fact I have no idea if I will stay learning them. I don't want to have expensive stuff gathering dust in a corner.
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.