[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Can we have a serious discussion
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6
File: image.jpg (170 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
170 KB, 600x600
An artist with somewhat of a cult following after dropping two critically acclaimed albums that were adored by fans (maybe not to mu but whatever) just dropped an objectively terrible album. This doesnt happen that often desu.
>>
I think that happens fairly often, and the MOTM albums were hardly "critically acclaimed"

Lot of inaccuracies in this post 2bh
>>
>>60852771
It could be as simple as him getting tired of other people writing his music for him, tried it on his own, and failed.
>>
>>60852809
Haha why? Cause pitchfork didnt like it? And it doesnt happen to this extent very often. Where people go from loving an artist and his music to absolutely shitting on him and hating his music? I cant name one other modern artist who this has happened to
>>
>>60852771
It happens. There are critically acclaimed albums that were terrible though. Like Michael Bolton's stuff and others.

Artists succeed, fail, and grow. Plus, when working with a label, a lot of the times there are pressures on the artist to produce and mix in ways that just suck. Like when they make an artist have nothing but a repetitive kick drum beat the entire song, every song, on an entire album. What happened to polyrythmic americana?
>>
>>60852771

Honestly Cudi just needs a band, maybe he can collab with MGMT and Dot da Genius

Just listen to Return of Chip Douglas, even though it's a demo it would sound really good on electric and mastered
>>
i think its great, nuts, weird, love it
>>
>>60852901
he's known for being an egomaniac who thinks he's always 100% right
i mean his fucking twitter handle is "the chosen one"
>>
>>60852872
It was more than p4k m8, and k can think of numerous artists this has happened to

Weezer
The Strokes
Oasis
Lil Wayne (though he had more than two good albums, still universally shit on now)

The list goes on
>>
>>60852955
All those artists are still widely supported today and their worst work wasnt completely shit on by everyone to the point where they stopped being fans completely. Oasis, weezer, the strokes will go down as great bands to most people, kid cudi most likely wont now
>>
>>60853034
Were his albums that awesome to begin with?
>>
>>60852935

I mean who isn't an egomaniac in the industry, unless they have already sold out.
>>
>>60853147
Our thoughts on the album are irrelevant in this discussion (although i did love motm and motm2) the fact is that cudi fans adored both albums and he had a cult following after they dropped and now former fans wouldnt care if he died right now
>>
>>60853147
not saying they were great, but MOTM 1 and 2 were two of the first albums I really fell in love with when I was growing up
He truly did have a new and unique hip hop sound and character at the time, and it really was something to fall in love with
I explicitly told myself after Satellite Flight "I am officially leaving his fanbase" (Indicud was barely redeemable but I clung on)
I've never done that with another artist, I can't stand him
>>
>>60852771
The TMR of our generation
>>
Cudi was only good when he had a decent songwriter/producer, who I believe he fired after MOTM1 and didn't even compensate for his work?
>>
>>60853034
Again, he was never going to. His earlier albums were loved by high school stoners and that's it
>>
>>60853785
It's so weird that people credit genius to people who don't even write their own songs and produce the music.
>>
>>60853810
Nooo if cudi died shortly after motm2 dropped he would go down as a legend. Maybe not to mu or you but it would be a huge thing for most fans. Now all those fans could give a fuck
>>
>>60853881
And if ICP died today they would be considered legends too

by their fans
>>
>>60852771
>objectively terrible album
That's what they said about Pinkerton; this combines Lead Belly-style blues, Kurt Cobain-style grunge, and the artistry of the white man with the sensibilities and the topics of hip-hop. Saying this
>Got myself a girlfriend
>Got myself a girlfriend
>She doesn't think I'm stupid
>She doesn't think I'm stupid
>And she likes to blow me
>Suck my cock and blow me
>Suck my cock and blow me
>YEAH
doesn't have as much weight as this
>I'm tired, so tired
>I'm tired of having sex (So tired)
>I'm spread, so thin
>I don't know who I am (Who I am)
>Monday night I'm makin' Jen
>Tuesday night I'm makin' Lyn
>Wednesday night I'm makin' Catherine
>Oh, why can't I be makin' love come true?
is absolutely stupid. Matter of fact, you want to talk "objectively"? Well, if you believe that this isn't as good as Pinkerton, you're OBJECTIVELY racist; he's doing everything white guys do, but better, and with the sincerity and sensibility of a black man. If you don't like that for the artistic achievement it is, there's something terribly wrong with you.
>>
File: 1449362145254.gif (410 KB, 221x196) Image search: [Google]
1449362145254.gif
410 KB, 221x196
>you're OBJECTIVELY racist
>>
File: bluntgod1.jpg (479 KB, 990x660) Image search: [Google]
bluntgod1.jpg
479 KB, 990x660
>>60855143
>>
Its good. Its not worse than any memerap.
>>
>>60855143
why did you take the time to write this embarrassment out? even if it is bait
>>
>>60855360
I guess because he's right. This thing will get hailed as a masterpiece in a few years, mark my words.

This is coming from someone who hates it. I just know the way the public's opinion can shift over time.
>>
>>60855143
ebpin
>>
>>60852955
foxygen familia
>>
>>60852771
If he was gonna make each track repetitive as shit, he should've cut the album down to at least 30 minutes. It's like listening to that damn Ovens LP, but worse.
>>
>>60855502
No, trust me, it won't.
Please screenshot your reply and look at it once a week to remind yourself of how wrong you are.
>>
>>60855606
Trout Mask Replica can be enjoyed for what it is: silly, simpleton blues-y music that sounds horrible at first glance, but gradually works its way into the minds of people who give the chance it needs.

I myself hate TMR and this, but if TMR can become a classic (to some), what makes you think people won't be hailing this as an ironic masterpiece of shit music?
>>
>>60855502
stop
>>
>>60855143

they won't admit this because they're closet racist
>>
File: kek kudi.jpg (198 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
kek kudi.jpg
198 KB, 700x700
>>60852771
https://memecudi.bandcamp.com/releases
just listen to this. thank me l8r
>>
I never liked him, but
>this
'Cause day and night
The lonely stoner seems to free his mind at night
Hes all alone through the day and night
The lonely loner seems to free his mind at night (at, at, at night)

is less emotive and personal than

>this
I got the rage forcing through my veins
No one's home, no one's home
Won't leave a note, won't leave hope
No one's home, no one's home
Oh what a nightmare; I'm done with this, idiots
I got this rage running through my veins
Listen to me

So, yeah, I think this is better than MOTM; that shit had Radio Disney-tier choruses. P4K (pre-windshield burrito days) was spot on in their review of that one.
>>
>>60852771
Nothing by him will be as good as Day'n'Nite desu
>>
>>60857595
They are both equally bad lyrically. Emotive and personal isn't really worth a damn.
>>
>>60855758
because Trout Mask Replica is good
>>
>>60855758
You do realize that TMR isn't hailed as a masterpiece ironically, right? You don't have to like it, but your argument makes no sense.
>>
>>60855143
damn...
>>
>>60855143
Kekposting is truly the worst thing to ever plague 4chan
>>
>>60856584
>https://memecudi.bandcamp.com/releases
That last track was beautiful
>>
>>60853765
fuck off
>>
This is literally the best album since 1999
>>
IF BECK MADE THIS ALBUM YOU'D ALL BE ON HIS DICK
>>
>>60857595
this nigger rhymed night with night four times in a goddamn row??
>>
I'm two songs in and I honestly like it.

It's weird as fuck that he's the guy doing this. But it sounds like a good alternative rock album so far.

Am I retarded?
>>
inb4Pitchfork gives this BNM and seriously compares it to Beefheart and Royal Trux.
>>
>>60852771
I've only listened to a handful of tracks since I don't have anything close to the stamina needed for the whole fucking thing, but a lot of parts remind me of John Frusciante's very early solo work. Thing is that John's completely uncensored and genuine anguish and his excellent guitar work lends so much emotional weight into the material. And even when he was dying from heroin abuse he had enough sense to know that sometimes a nice musical idea only needs to be 60-90 seconds long.

Like, I was first exposed to Niandra LaDes when I was 15? 16? years old and this album sounds like something I would make if I were 15 or 16 and trying to transparently plagiarize that sort of material, but with none of the actual talent or experience to make it work.
>>
His music has always been generic trash, i dont know why he even has hardcore fans he brings nothing new or exciting to the table. i dont care you got high to his shitty music in jr.high
>>
>>60861631
Not everybody's a racist like you, bro.
>>
>>60852771
>following what Anthony says
>>
>beavis and butthead sketches
Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.