[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
> Art music—also known as formal music,[1] serious music,[2]
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: Johann+Sebastian+Bach.png (412 KB, 500x692) Image search: [Google]
Johann+Sebastian+Bach.png
412 KB, 500x692
> Art music—also known as formal music,[1] serious music,[2] erudite music,[3] or legitimate music[4][5] (sometimes shortened to legit music)[6] [seriously?] —is an umbrella term that refers to musical traditions, implying advanced structural and theoretical considerations[7] and a written musical tradition.[8]

> Classical music is art music produced or rooted in the traditions of Western music, including both liturgical (religious) and secular music. While a similar term is also used to refer to the period from 1750-1820 (the Classical period), this article is about the broad span of time from roughly the 11th century to the present day, which includes the Classical period and various other periods.[1]

Okay, so "art music" is a mediocre term, not just because it's pretentious but because all genres of music can be art, and "classical music" is even worse because it designates both music from the classical period and classical period + baroque + romantic + medieval etc.

Got any other ideas for a better name?
>>
I suggest "Private wank music".
>>
>>60852478
You are an idiot.

>pretentious
How?

>all music is art
Thats not the point.
>>
Notated music
Theoric music
>>
Adult music
>>
>>60852478
Music for people born before 1989
>>
>>60852478
things like this are a pain in the neck but we can't just change things across the board like that, language gradually changes and ''unaturally' trying to force a change for the sake of convenience doesn't really work
>>
To be fair, the complexity of classical and jazz music overshadows most music made. If you listened to music for complexity and talent you'd probably just listen to classical and jazz music.

The talent and hard work of those art forms deserves the praise it receives. It's like comparing performance artists to Rembrandt. The difference in skill and talent is as deep as the pacific ocean to a miniscule pond.
>>
Just western canon music.

There's a problem with virtually all definitions that try to get the best word to define what is known as 'classical'. Classical (or 'academic', or whatever) is actually a mix of different traditions rooted on what west finds acceptable or not. But those traditions include liturgical, non-liturgical, folkloric transcriptions (that were of course not 'notated'), functional and even hybrid from the non-west music. So no term can be 100% accurate.
>>
>>60853209
I know, it was more for the sake of discussion than anything else. And in case somebody knows of one I missed.

>>60852556
I was looking for something along these lines, but
>>60853736
>western canon music
I like that one as well.
>>
>>60853736
>the only thing considered art music is western classical
There is nothing wrong with the term art music.
>>
>>60854649
>canon
>>
>>60852478

medieval music is not considered classical music.
>>
>>60855539

Just to clarify https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Early_music
>>
>>60852530
Thread should've ended here.
>>
>>60852478
>[1] serious music
more like 'seriously gay music'
>>
>>60856649
You're free to ignore it.
>>
I usually say "classical music" and "classical period music". Sounds a bit awkward but at least it's clear enough.
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.