[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
modularfriends are you here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1
File: 3u-setup.jpg (842 KB, 2000x981) Image search: [Google]
3u-setup.jpg
842 KB, 2000x981
modularfriends are you here?
>>
is that a raspi on the left?

never looked much into analog, looks neat
>>
>>60852064
Yeah, using it to run and mix effects written in Puredata at the moment
>>
>>60852081
hmm

what all equipment do you have?

any demos on yt or sc i can listen to?
>>
>>60852272
a small variety of euro, mostly buchla-inspired modules, plus some DIY serge. I have some mostly older material up here: http://soundcloud.com/ym2612
>>
>>60852486
the one called "oneiros" is nice

followed
>>
any recomendation of album made only with modular stuff???
like just ambient or pop
>>
>>60852763

not much pop is made with mod synths. check out 70s wendy carlos, tangerine dream, and david borden. current artists charles cohen, keith fullerton whitman, and robert akai aubrey lowe (aka lichens) are great as well...
>>
how much did you invest into your modular? I'd like to build my own too
>>
>>60852027
im jealous op. i dont have much money to spend on one but i love using mod synths. my school has one and i often spend 10+ hour sessions just messing around. it is composed of all 70s arp and moog modules. its amazing.
>>
Where the hell do you star with euroracks? It still confuses the fuck out of me. I have been wanting to get a Korg MS-20. I think it is semi modular or something, or a roland rs-09, which is not modular at all..
>>
>>60852529

Thanks!

>>60852986

I haven't kept track, and I've bought and sold a lot, but you can build a nice, flexible system with Doepfer or Synthesizers.com modules for a grand or a bit more.

>>60853001
Cool, I'd love to play with those systems.

>>60853223
It's best to get the basics down first on a school system or using modular software, and/or by buying discrete modules one at a time. VCO, VCA, VCF, envelope generator, LFOs, mixers, sample & hold, MIDI adaptor or sequencer.

Too many people try to use modular like VSTs and it doesn't work that way.
>>
>>60852763

Lots of old Giorgio Moroder used Moog modular. Michael Stearns and Robert Rich make/made ambient with modular. Morton Subotnick's 60s and 70s albums used Buchla modular for experimental music.
>>
>>60853416
so it is basically building a synthesizer utilizing racks?
>>
>>60853416
how the fuck do you know the different filters and etc to select?
>>
>>60852763
Also check the Forse albums by Alessandro Cortini and Jim O'Rourke's Old News releases.

>>60853465
Yeah, it's all the parts of a synthesizer broken out so you can pick your own. Or rather, modular came first, and then people started building synths with pre-selected parts to make them cheaper/easier to play.

>>60853499
Lots of reading/research/listening. But almost any low-pass or multi-mode filter will take you a long, long way. I think the differences tend to be overstated.
>>
>>60852027
nice tablecloth :)
>>
>>60852027
I wish I were one too bee honest
Too poor for it tho
Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.