[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Jerry Cantrell the master of writing songs that genuinely
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3
Is Jerry Cantrell the master of writing songs that genuinely make you sad? Of course you got AIC, but this album has got to be one of the saddest pieces of work you will ever hear.

Tell me "Feel The Void" doesn't tear your heart out http://youtu.be/rPileRRbw9M
>>
Jerry Cantrell is literally the best song writer ever

He is the only artist I've heard that hasn't written even one shit song. He is truly amazing
>>
>>60849112
I agree senpai. He's honestly never made a bad song.

I don't understand why he never gets much talk on /mu/ tho. I feel not many people know of his work past Dirt/Jar of Flies
>>
>>60849241

He's the jack of all trades, master of all. His riff writing prowess is unquestionable, literally top 10 riff writer of all time. Some of the most touching lyrics ever written (Down in a Hole, Settling Down, Feel The Void) etc..

Then his solos, he's not the fastest, but there aren't many guitarists out there who write solos that better serve the music as a whole than Cantrell does. His guitar tone is frickin godly on every album.

And he's a pretty damn good vocalist, his voice is quite nice to listen to, kinda relaxing.

I agree, I think especially his solos albums don't get anywhere near enough attention. I think they're arguably better than his AiC stuff (maybe aside from Dirt), but maybe because his voice isn't as distinctive as Layne's was.
>>
>>60849398
Oh man. I forgot about Settling Down.

The chorus for that song is god tier.
>>
>>60849241
His songs on the self titled album are great.
>>
File: guitar.jpg (78 KB, 790x371) Image search: [Google]
guitar.jpg
78 KB, 790x371
>>60849461
Boggy Depot is a god tier album in general. I really love Satisfy as well. The clean guitar sound reminds of me Mayonaise & Soma by Pumpkins.

It's actually a pretty diverse album, it even has country influence in a few songs.
>>
>>60849642
Oh I know. I'm a Cantrell/AiC Junkie so I've listened to it all. He was a massive part of my childhood. I always loved those two and Devil by his Side
>>
>>60849749
I do also really wish his solo albums got more credit. They're both in the god tier of rock music yet they're both pretty unknown.

DT is maybe the best double album since The Wall desu. They're kind of similar in terms of theme as well. I know JC is a big PF (he used to play Brain Damage a lot on his solo tours) so I wouldn't be surprised if that influenced him a lot on that album.
>>
>>60850020
I agree. Most of Cantrell's work is sort of like that. It's a decent into madness
>>
File: superthumb.jpg (12 KB, 300x250) Image search: [Google]
superthumb.jpg
12 KB, 300x250
>>60850219
I don't know if I've ever heard a more depressing band
>>
>>60850333
That's what makes AiC good senpai. It's therapy
>>
>>60850470
Indeed. It's kind of fucked up in a way, you can actually hear how fucked up Layne was on the last album. He sounds super fucked up on Brush Away, like he just shot up.

It's a shame Layne died desu, Get Born Again and Died (that fucking riff) are god tier.
>>
>>60850792
That's the thing with Cantrell tho senpai. Near all his riffs are godtier
>>
>>60851298
That is true, top 5 riffs go
>Them Bones
>Anger Rising
>Nutshell
>Acid Bubble (middle riff)
>Sludge Factory
>>
damn I haven't seen a decent Jerry Cantrell/ AiC thread in months. Nice to see a few of us enjoy his stuff. I love all their stuff, but Jar of Flies tops it all imo, 10/10 that album has some great song-writing and riffs and everything. Cantrell is in my top 3 guitarists imo, amazing musician.
>>
>>60849112
>hasn't written even one shit song
>song about roosters and machine guns
>>
>>60851744
Fuck yeah
>>60851486
Jesus this is hard.
Off the top of my head in no order
>Locked on
>Solo for Rotten Apple
>Put me Down
>Pig Charmer
>Head creeps

But that's such a hard list. It changes every week
>>
>>60851831
>writes about machine guns and animals
>it doesn't suck

Tbh senpai who else
>>
>>60851831
I know this is b8 but Rooster is god tier

Rooster was JC's dad's nickname in nam
>>
>>60851880
FYI Layne wrote Head Creeps
>>
>>60852141
Yeah, but I am also sure he didn't write the little solo riffs during the chorus and all that - just the base song.

Jerry makes the riff come to life with his tone + his bends and the little filler riffs in the song
>>
>>60852879
Yeah probably, the chorus riff is epic

I read in an interview once he said he added 'the stupid metal guitar' in it. I don't know what that means but he was probably referring to the chorus riff.
>>
>>60852911
Yeah, it's a sick song. Shame they never play it live
>>
>>60852995
I need to see them live again. I guess they'll tour a lot after the next album. I think they're working on the next album atm. Maybe will be out later next year.
>>
>>60853054
Yeah, I've seen them live 3 times the past 4 years or so. My only gripe, is that they don't switch up their sets much. Example - they only played 4 songs from TDPDH live in the whole 2 years they toured. I wish I could of heard most of the songs live.
>>
>>60853387
I think it would be cool if they played longer shows as well. They have enough material to do it
>>
>>60853780
Yeah, but I don't know. I don't think Jerry want's AiC to be remembered as an arena rock band. I feel like if they started doing longer sets, they would find themselves playing hockey arena's like Pearl Jam does. I don't think Jerry is about that
>>
>>60854099
It would just be a longer show. Most of their stuff is to dark to be in the arena rock zone aside from some songs like Rooster, Man in the box, acoustic stuff etc
>>
>>60851486
>Would? (pls don't h8)
>Brother
>Frogs
>LOVE, HATE LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVEEEEEEE
>Put You Down
>>
>>60849015
No, but he is long haired white guy writing druggy buttrock #1242454312315. When will he go the way of Weiland?
>>
>>60854561
Shit b8 m8

He's had short hair for years
>>
>>60854217
True. They could do a half electric half acoustic set as well. That would be pretty sick
>>
>>60854590
That still doesn't address the rest of that, which actually has some validity; white guys playing "YEEAAAH"-heavy, "gritty" rock are cancer by default, in part because they're everywhere
>Kurt Cobain
>Jerry Cantrell
>Layne Staley
>Eddie Vedder
>Chris Cornell
>Dave Grohl
>Brad Arnold
>Wes Scantlin
>Chad Kroeger
>Brent Smith
>Adam Gontier
>Matt Walst
>Jonathan Davis
That's 13 of them there. Do you really need more? These old fogeys would have no careers if you didn't have Redditors propping them up because of the old "rap is (c)rap, rock is real music" excuse.
>>
>>60854942
>white guys playing "YEEAAAH"-heavy, "gritty" rock are cancer by default
Way to just overgeneralize the music
>if you didn't have Redditors propping them up because of the old "rap is (c)rap, rock is real music" excuse
What a faggotass argument
>>
>>60854942
>white guys
would the music b better for u if they were black senpai
>>
>>60855046
Let me elaborate
>Kurt Cobain
Nonsense lyrics you'd expect from a heroin addict combined with an overly catchy songwriting style that's tailor-made for radio.
>Jerry Cantrell
Just another sadboy rocker; an alright guitarist, but little more.
>Layne Staley
Another drug addict writing nonsense lyrics that 90s kids read too deeply into.
>Eddie Vedder
All he does is slur his words and semi-interesting lyrics into something unintelligible without the lyrics sheet at hand, and boom, critical acclaim.
>Chris Cornell
Scream just a little less faggy than Geddy Lee and write more nonsense lyrics that are supposed to be deep critiques of fame and whatnot (Limo Wreck)? Profit!
>Dave Grohl
Only around today because his sappy music is made-for-radio shit and he's coasting on the success of Nirvana.
>Brad Arnold
Able to relate with all the Loser kids out there, thanks to his constant "feeling sorry for myself" voice.
>Wes Scantlin
Just a cock rocker who thought that singing grittier than Cobain did would make him better; he was wrong.
>Chad Kroeger
Needs no elaboration; he's just straight-up commercial shit, more country than anything these days.
>Brent Smith
Same as Chad, but slightly better.
>Adam Gontier
Mall emo made its crossover into grit rock thanks to him, and both genres suffered for it; haven't we had enough songs about "I hate my ex" and suicide by now?
>Matt Walst
Same as above, but with absolutely terrible lyrics to top it off; unsurprising that he came from a cock rock band.
>Jonathan Davis
"YOURNOTTAATAURATAPAPAPOOSHRATA" = good? I know, that's cherry-picking, but what else do I have? "Bitch we got a problem, problem!"? "I play with suicide, sometimes that's okay"? He's probably the least sterling on here, but to top it off, he's a wigger.

>>60855289
The music would be better if didn't all mesh together with varying degrees of quality, honestly.
>>
>>60855449
lol who are the people you like then. I am sure I could do this same shit
Thread replies: 38
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.