[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
So, I want to teach myself piano (keyboard). Is there a list
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2
File: download (10).jpg (5 KB, 200x133) Image search: [Google]
download (10).jpg
5 KB, 200x133
So, I want to teach myself piano (keyboard). Is there a list of skills someone can practice to develop general skill? I'm not averse to memorizing songs but I feel like that's too specific to "git gud" at piano.

Is there a college syllabus someone can upload, with a list of skills they were taught? Or any list, honestly?

I know scales, chords, apreggios would be on it? What else?

What's a complete list of skills a pianist would have to know to be a "well rounded" piano player?
>>
File: images (8).jpg (9 KB, 275x183) Image search: [Google]
images (8).jpg
9 KB, 275x183
>>60842471

Also, I scanned the wiki... and most of it was musical exploration... not much to do with learning how to play.

Perhaps there's an online tutorial someone here has used, that they know is effective? Anything like that would be appreciated.
>>
I'll bump that since i've got the same motive.
But if you don't know OP, there's some links about the basics in the sticky

http://4chanmusic.wikia.com/wiki/Sticky
>>
>>60842471
play through the mikrokosmos
>>
I'm a concert pianist.

I had written a ~1000 words answer, but sadly I pressed something and it deleted itself.

All I can tell you is that being a technician will get you no where, and no one will enjoy what you do. If you really want to get good, listen to repertoire everyday, for at least an hour. If you must, listen every composers pieces by name.

Also, never do a single mistake. If it's going too fast for you, cut the speed by half. Yep, metronome.

I had the chance to be the student/pupil of a great pianist which completly changed my view of piano.

You'll work your technical skill in context, just like Martha Argerich. It's useless to practice chords, scales and arpeggios if you can't play a piece with real intent.

I could go on, but as I said, my nice list has been deleted, fuck me.
>>
>>60843222

Thanks friend. I think I want to learn the technical side of things so I can pull them up without effort. I don't want to just play music I want to make it. On the fly, as well. You know? Also, it's kind of a personal thing for me. I just like knowing the technical side of things.

If you have any suggestions for some composes to listen to I'm all ears. I plan to look at this post: >>60842743 at the very least.

>Also, never do a single mistake. If it's going too fast for you, cut the speed by half. Yep, metronome.
I'll definitely do this.

I'm not without musical instruction. I did take two classes of "keyboarding" in college and had some piano instructor paid for out of pocket.

They all mention doing something four times to perfection before moving on. Is this a good way to approach things?

>I could go on, but as I said, my nice list has been deleted, fuck me.
No, no. Thank you for your input. It's nice to know /mu/ isn't just 100% memes and shitting on people.
>>
Any recommended classical piano albums (and maybe some piano jazz)??
>>
>>60843627
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTJATPRp8a0
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G58ELWYW5-s
>>
>>60842471
>Is there a list of skills someone can practice to develop general skill?

1) read sheet music. Get a beginner piano book. They're everywhere in music stores.
2) Learn pieces. usually best to start with a piano teacher, they will get you playing some pieces that are within your skill level
3) Practice.
4) repeat steps 2) and 3) for 10 years.
Then you'll have a "general skill" and can think about going further or just chilling
>>
OP, if you're serious about piano, pay for a good teacher who will actually criticize you instead of getting pointers and then unearned praise.

Also, learning to play is an endless journey, there are always ways to improve. Don't lose your spirit.
It is so much easier than going it alone.
>>
>>60844745

Well, I have had instructors. I just can't afford them right now.
>>
>>60843222
not OP but thanks, I think I'm going to dust odd my old keyboard and try getting back to it.
>>
I've actually been playing for roughly a year, and the easiest way for me to start was taking about 2 hours minimum each day to sit down and practice. I'm still shit, and need some stuff slowed to be able to get it sounding perfect, but that make no mistakes stuff is true.

Learn right, dont make bad habits. They're hard to shake in the long run
Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.