[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/shugazi/ - Shoegaze (Dream Pop, Noise Pop, and Blackgaze) General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15
File: folder.jpg (171 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
171 KB, 886x886
Purple Pilgrims - Purple Pilgrims
>Dream Pop, Psychedelic Rock, Ambient, Shoegaze, Lo-Fi,

https://mega.nz/#!PYpkVIqL!9GEftpBxOQFskBMsu_RrELG--UVCrbEpo3SmbQm5iak

https://pseudoarcana.bandcamp.com/album/purple-pilgrims-pa128
>>
>>60829718
What's good /shugazi/. What's everyone bumping these days?
>>
>>60829938
The share in the op.

I bump that shit daily.
>>
File: bilinda.png (144 KB, 441x640) Image search: [Google]
bilinda.png
144 KB, 441x640
>God tier:
Loveless

>Demi-God tier:
Souvlaki, Isn't Anything, You Made Me Realise, Yerself Is Steam, Velocity:Design:Comfort. Just For A Day

>Magnificent tier:
LSD & The Search for God s/t, Flying Saucer Attack s/t, Transient Random Noise Bursts, Boces, Strawberry Jam, Ferment, Nowhere

>Don't even bother unless you want to start a shoegaze/noise-pop band tier
Everything else

>I like to listen to uninspired literal shit tier
2010+ "shoegaze" "revival", Whirr, Kairon, mbv
>>
>>60830344
haha whuuutt
>>
>>60830344
>Strawberry Jam
>Transient Random Noise Bursts
>Shoegaze
>>
>>60830753
they're noise pop
>>
>>60830980
im not sure senpai
>>
>>60830344
by everything else, do you mean PSUB? cause that album is definitely magnificent tier along with the new ringo deathstarr release
>>
>>60831168
The new Ringo Deathstarr is above average but it's nowhere near magnificent.
>>
>>60831209
>by everything else, do you mean PSUB?
Especially PSUB. I haven't listened to the new Ringo Deathstarr release. Unless it's 5x10E290 times better than their first album, then I don't think I'll bother.
>>
File: a3591709462_16.jpg (48 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a3591709462_16.jpg
48 KB, 700x700
why u no talk about wildhoney, /shugazi/?
they've released not just 1 but 2 great albums this year
>https://wildhoneysound.bandcamp.com/album/your-face-sideways
>>
>>60830344
stop living in the past and get with the times, grandpa. you sound like one of those le wrong generation dadrock deafeners
>>
>>60831370
I predicted this strawman.
>>
>>60831335
I just listened to sleep through it and it was excellent

>>60831279
haven't heard their new one yet but gods dream was excellent
>>
>>60831335
Just listened a track, pretty good but it's more jangle poppy than shoegazey.
>>
File: Front.jpg (226 KB, 1280x1280) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
226 KB, 1280x1280
I've been listening to the new reissue of The Flaming Lips' Clouds Taste Metallic. I never see this album discussed here (well, I posted about it last night) but it's a fantastic noise pop record that uses layers upon layers of heavily textured noise guitar (Ronald Jones built many of his own pedals) to create very warm, inviting and catchy songs with a surprisingly strong streak of emotional resonance. Not only is it one of the strongest releases in the band's catalog, but it endures as a piece of truly unique creativity in its aesthetic and songwriting. In many ways the record was a swan song for the post-Nirvana music landscape of the early 90s. The reissue sounds gorgeous, it hasn't been loudness war'd at all- I checked it against my original CD and the dynamic range is similar, but the remaster has more going on in the low end creating a fuller-feeling sound. It also came with a live album that really shows off how strongly this iteration of the Lips translated to live performances.

Definately worth a download.
>>
>>60831577
I picked that CD up, it's pretty good.

Doesn't even sound like a remaster at all. There's no mention of it being remastered in the liner notes, it actually might be the same master as the original.
>>
my dead girlfriend is the best shoegaze band of the 21st century so far
>>
>>60831475
yeah you could predict it from the moment you started writing up that shitpost. the thing is that you yourself are no stranger logical fallacies. see, you make sweeping generalisations and you don't provide any basis for your argument, and shift the burden of proof to us. its not before you type up a properly thought out post that you can expect a reasonable reply.

>inb4 you accuse me of a tu quoque fallacy
>>
J-gaze is the best.

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm16921432
>>
>>60829718
>viralling your own trash this hard
>>
>>60831847
Some people have different opinions and think shoegaze revival is uninspired, there's some alright stuff but nothing amazing has come from it really.

There's no need to sling mud with your "le wrong generation" insults, they're old and tired anyway, like the music you're defending.
>>
>>60831847
The basis for my argument is that I believe most shoegaze is incredibly derivative of preceding shoegaze, especially the shit getting churned out today in this so called revival.

Why do I believe it's derivative? Because most of them are ripping off the Shields tremelo for a start. If they're not ripping off the Shields tremelo, they're ripping off the Slowdive reverb and tone. Oh, look, another shoegaze band with a female vocalist again! Frankly, it all lacks any kind of punch or impact for me

That Candy Claws album a few years ago was pretty great though. Forgot to add it to the list. Even if it did borrow a lot from earlier shoegaze, it has its own completely unique atmosphere, which is the quality on which I based my list.
>>
>>60832147
>>60832018
Not the anon you were talking to, but why are some people so obsessed with innovation? Can something just be good in that they do something really well, without reinventing the wheel? Is there more to music than the superficial MBV trem and Ride reverb? What about other elements of sound design? What about composition? Lyrics? Other performance issues and production issues?
>>
>>60831996
It's not mine but yeah I'm viraling hard
>>
>>60832222
>lyrics
>shoegaze
I really don't pay attention to the lyrics. I doubt the artists pay too much attention either since a hallmark of shoegaze is to mix the vocals very low.

> Can something just be good in that they do something really well, without reinventing the wheel?
Whatever floats your boat man. I just wish this shoegaze revival was an actual revival. Slicing the face off of a body and stitching it to your face =/= revival.
>>
>>60832222
When I say tired and uninspired I'm not asking for it to be an avant garde masterpiece, just most of these bands are making cheap regurgitations of past music.

One of my favourite bands in the past 2 years is Eagulls and they're not an experimental masterpiece but they do it well enough that they get away with it.
>>
>>60832473
>I really don't pay attention to the lyrics
Well there's your problem, why you think there are only a few albums out of an entire genre that are worthwhile: you are not taking the entire artwork into consideration.
>Slicing the face off of a body and stitching it to your face =/= revival.
If you aren't really paying attention and listening superficially, I don't blame you for believing this is the case
>>60832515
>When I say tired and uninspired
Uninspired? Oh were you there when they made the record?
>just most of these bands are making cheap regurgitations of past music.
All music is cheap regurgitation of the past. Even MBV and Ride. Why split hairs and selectively choose what is "innovative" or not?
>answer: you are listening superficially.
>>
>>60830344
What about Yo La Tengo's Painful?
>>
>>60832637
hey friend that's one of my favorite albums. it's really really good
>>
>>60832515
>>60832592
hahha fuck off you pretentious cunt. Acting like you're on a higher level because you listen to fucking shoegaze of all genres.

I listen to quite a bit of shoegaze revival it just doesn't excite me much.
>>
>>60832592
The lyrics could be long lost Shakespearian poetry for all I care. I doubt it paying attention to them will redeem the travesty that is "shoegaze revival" for me.
>>
>>60832637
I like it but don't really consider it to be a shoegaze or noise pop album.
>>
File: lit1.jpg (81 KB, 1920x1080) Image search: [Google]
lit1.jpg
81 KB, 1920x1080
Guys, I'm planning a shoegaze altar
So far I've ordered a jaguar and printed out a picture of scarlett johannsons ass in lost in translation
What else would you add?
>>
>>60832766
>for all I care
There's your problem
>for me
Not what we're talking about
>>60832747
>pretentious
Pot kettle black
>>
What some good Japanese shoegaze? I've got Tokyo Shoegazer, Cosmic Dust, and one or two others, but I dig them and need more.
>>
>>60832951
my dead girlfriend is another good one if you haven't listened to them already. they're one of my favorite shoegaze acts
>>
>>60832951
Luminous Orange, My Dead Girlfriend (very twinkly tho), Kinoko Teikoku
凛として時雨 are really energetic post-something with some shoegaze elements, excellent playing and such if you can get over the voice of the singer
And Boom Boom Sattelites deserve a mention, though they're more of a weird electronica/rock blend, but songs like dive for you or back on my feet defo fit into a decent shoegaze playlist
>>
>>60832928
>>for me
>Not what we're talking about
Well it is. You're talking to me, a human being with opinions, not the grand arbiter of musical quality.
>>
>>60833094
Nice backpedaling
>>
>>60832951
meeks did an album of shoegaze covers of beatles songs that was very well done
>>
This album is better than Souvlaki
If you think otherwise you're wrong
>>
>>60833160
Care to summarize what you're saying or what posts you're objecting to? You've lost me.

Are you saying that lyrics are essential to your experience when listening to shoegaze? I already explained why that's bullshit for the majority of cases. Care to name some shoegaze bands with good lyrics?
>>
File: Clams - Sakura River.jpg (122 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Clams - Sakura River.jpg
122 KB, 600x600
Loveless and Souvlaki should be filtered words on this board. Everyone has listened to them, everyone thinks they're alright to good. Posting those albums in a shoegaze thread just proves you haven't listened past the essentials. I'm sure I sound like a dick but seeing the same albums posted every thread is annoying. It's like going to a /bleep/ thread and posting Aphex Twins music, everyone agrees it's good but posting his music offers no discussion.

We get it you think Loveless is the best shoegaze album (it's not) but just fuck off for one thread and stop posting the same albums.
>>
>>60831642
I'm pretty sure it's been remastered and possibly even remixed, Wayne was posting videos of Ronald's isolated guitar parts on instagram. It's also been remastered for the vinyl boxset a few years back and it's possible that they used that remaster.
>>
>>60833497
>Wayne was posting videos of Ronald's isolated guitar parts on instagram
For the shows. When you remaster an album, you master from the stereo final mixes, not the mutlitracks. There would be no reason to go back to the multitracks if you are remastering. They went to the multis to break a part what Ronald was playing so they could replicate it for the show (whihc was never released, fuck those guys)

Also the live disc was a real let down. They could have chosen the Trees show, that was spectacular.
>>
>>60833338
>Care to summarize what you're saying or what posts you're objecting to?
Read the thread if you're lost
>Are you saying that lyrics are essential to your experience when listening to shoegaze?
I'm saying if you pick and choose what you choose to acknowledge when assessing art, you will always have an imperfect perception of that. If something was inessential, it wouldn't be there in the first place.
>I already explained why that's bullshit for the majority of cases
Sweeping generalizations seems to be another of your follies.
>>
>>60830344
What about Mojave 3
>>
>>60832147
Derivation is how genres can exist in the first place. If they do something radically different then it isn't shoegaze anymore. A subset of shared qualities are necessary for a genre identification. Using "female vocalist" as an exemplar of derivation is especially silly. Females make up more than half the planet's population. The gender of a band's vocalist only has two possibilities.
And you're being hypocritical with your power rankings anyway; LSD might as well be an MBV cover band for all the originality they have.
>>
>>60830344
LSD&TSFG is on the same tier as Loveless.
>>
>>60834616
>LSD might as well be an MBV cover band for all the originality they have.
(not true, by the way)
>>
>>60833614
Point taken. I'm pretty sure it's the remaster used for the Heady Nuggs vinyl, the specrrograms for this new release are different from the OG CD.
>(whihc was never released, fuck those guys)
That was supposed to be part of some sort of documentary, wasn't it?
>Also the live disc was a real let down. They could have chosen the Trees show, that was spectacular.
Perhaps the recording of the Seattle show had more potential to be cleaned up as a live album?
>>
the mood is very weird in this thread, usually /shugazi/ is the chillest, most sensible general on /mu/, cmon guys chill out
>>
File: 1447107762284.jpg (165 KB, 720x960) Image search: [Google]
1447107762284.jpg
165 KB, 720x960
>>60832900
>>
>>60831577
>tfw we will never get loud noise pop FLips with Ronald Jones and Wayne playing guitar on every song ever again
>>
>>60833614
What is the Trees show?
>>
>>60832900
bowl cut
>>
>>60831577
damn When you Smile sounds like a completely different song
>>
fugazi is shit so is shoogays if u think otherwise u should go back too reddit desu
>>
beach house?
>>
>>60832900
Tremolo dildo
>>
>>60837170
no.
>>
>>60836969
Presumably this concert:
http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/the-flaming-lips/1996/trees-dallas-tx-5bd46720.html
Nice setlist, Mountain Side and Hit Me Like You Did the First Time would have been cool to have. Psychiatric Explorations had a recording of that show in its database but that site hasn't been maintained in years so it's missing along with a lot of its concert archive. I'm worried that the state of the Lips fandom is so bad that a lot of that stuff will be lost...
>>
>>60837170
bland dream poop.
>>
>>60837170
Sure
>>
So what ever happened to the dream pop december thing? I've been checking for threads and there haven't been any. I'd like to discover some obscure dream pop. I mean, from their previous years' charts it looks like they mostly did shoegaze staples, but one can hope.
>>
>tfw finished shoegaze EP, but no idea how to promote it upon release
Like shit, do I just spam it everywhere or what?
>>
File: cover.jpg (655 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
655 KB, 1500x1500
thoughts on this album?
>>
>>60840880
yea, put some boobies on the album cover and just spam threads with it
>>
>>60840880
Yeah, you just have to keep at it. People will call you out for viralling but if you do it for long enough people will forget it was a spam core, especially if it's good.
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0xLjq2aYnxw
>tfw just can't be happy
>>
Can someone up the new kinoko teikoku album again? Not on the archive anymore
>>
>>60841400
i have it on soulseek if you search for it
>>
>>60841400
Did some searching in the archive just for you bb
<3
http://www91.zippyshare.com/v/2IDBBrgi/file.html
>>
>>60841571
thanks babe
In return you'll get to be the first to see the cover art of the shit I'll be spamming all over these threads for the next year or so
>>
>>60841613
that looks meme as fuck have fun man
>>
>>60841613
is this the conclusion to shoegaze?
>>
>>60830344
>mbv
>literal shit

opinion discarded
>>
File: vlcsnap-2015-04-24-14h40m58s242.png (571 KB, 711x400) Image search: [Google]
vlcsnap-2015-04-24-14h40m58s242.png
571 KB, 711x400
>>60841638
>>60841761
Not officially out yet, but if you guys want:
https://iamthesvn.bandcamp.com/yum
u2nq-5m4h
lva6-bte5
>>
>>60842027
>https://iamthesvn.bandcamp.com/yum
>u2nq-5m4h
>lva6-bte5
it's not showing up for me also, have you posted your shit here before? I recognize the pill cover.
>>
>>60842056
4g9k-w7nr
q232-hevl
Try these? And yeah, tho I didn't have a whole band together back then
>>
>>60842097
>4g9k-w7nr
>q232-hevl
Sweet, it worked, thanks
>>
>>60842097
I started listening and It's honestly pretty good. Very hypnotic and droney with a nice, thick guitar tone. This would probably be great on heroin desu. Halfway into the 2nd track and it's sounding real fine, friendo
>>
>>60842402
I'm really glad to hear that man
>>
File: dfaddda.png (2 KB, 325x27) Image search: [Google]
dfaddda.png
2 KB, 325x27
>>60842056
>u2nq-5m4h
idk what im doing wrong but im not getting shit, im really curious to listen
>>
>>60842769
You go to https://iamthesvn.bandcamp.com/yum then put in the code
>>
>>60842826
im a dumbass
>>
>>60842841
nah, I did the same thing you did, i kind of stumbled upon the actual way by chance.
>>
>>60842841
>>60843040
wcgg-6wuu
pjun-g4eq
In case it didn't work
>>
>>60843080
It worked, I like this alot. Intro to In your veins sounds almost a bit too much like loveless, otherwise I'm really enjoying it.
>>
>>60833328
the opening track is gorgeous.

excuses for travelers is incredible too
>>
pls rec other bands that sound like My Vitriol

I've listened to a bunch of other nugaze songs but they sound like shit in comparison
>>
File: 1360960565782.jpg (63 KB, 378x569) Image search: [Google]
1360960565782.jpg
63 KB, 378x569
>>60843418
I love My Vitriol. I couldn't stop listening to Finelines when I first discovered it. It's a great album.

Unfortunately I don't know of anyone with a sound quite like theirs, and maybe It's a good thing.

In general I would say they sort of combined shoegaze with sort of a post-hardcore (punk) sound.

So I would look for shoegaze bands with a strong punk rock, more specifically hardcore or post-hardcore influence.

One example is the band Nothing. It is a shoegazing band but everyone in the band used to be in metal/hardcore bands. So their music has more of a punk edge to it and you may like it.

My best suggestion to you is to check out the album Floral Green by a "hardcore" band called Title Fight. It's a really good album and has some gazey influences. On their next and most recent album, Hyperview, they went straight shoegaze and it obviously still has a lot of punk influence. So you get to see an album on either side of the line so to speak.

I hope this helps and wasn't tldr I get wordy m8
>>
>>60843770

I do like Nothing, I actually bought their album on vinyl last week. It's a bit darker and slower than Finelines, which is cool, but then when I look for stuff a bit more uptempo in the genre, it's all synths and and castratis and shit. MV to me is like a perfect mix of bright/dark soun

I think I heard a couple songs off Title Fight before and liked them, but got too lazy to listen to the rest. Will go check them out now.

thanks for the recs m8
>>
>>60843876
*more dreary than Finelines

is probably a better way to say what I was trying to say there
>>
>>60843876
NP man you definitely need more punkgaze. I've been hearing a lot of that sort of stuff coming from South America. And some from Russia. There's some band from Chile I remember called Club de Surf. They have an EP that gives a pretty generic "punkgaze" sound. They're not amazing but It's still pretty good for a 2 man band.
>>
>>60844643
Is that that chilean band that also has that "avant garde surf" that they've viralled here.
>>
File: 3464634868_f01df2cd73_b.jpg (468 KB, 1024x768) Image search: [Google]
3464634868_f01df2cd73_b.jpg
468 KB, 1024x768
>>60829718
guys, oh my god guys.
the site updated, natsuko's twitter shows a tweet sent just yesterday about MOTFD and her bio mentions the band too, but i can't read moonspeak.

please tell me the band is back
oh my god please i'm gonna cry
>>
File: cover.jpg (108 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
108 KB, 700x700
I was not expecting feels from this album man
>>
>>60845213
Not that I know of. They don't really have a surf rock sound at all. They just have surf in their name, probably because they like surfing.
>>
Hey anons I'm new, can someone recommend me something good like candy claws please?
Thread replies: 102
Thread images: 15

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.