[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is it possible to get a record deal with a solo project? Assuming
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3
File: image.jpg (55 KB, 1086x797) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
55 KB, 1086x797
Is it possible to get a record deal with a solo project?

Assuming it's a solo project where one person plays multiple instruments, therefore not able to play live shows, could it be possible to still get a record deal and if so how?
>>
yes? if the musics good
>>
The fuck kinda question
>>
File: 1436298098660.jpg (38 KB, 460x447) Image search: [Google]
1436298098660.jpg
38 KB, 460x447
Of course, 90% of singer song writers are solo but have live bands.
>>
>wanting a record deal
But it's theoretically possible, if your music is as good or better than a multiple-person band. There are a lot of underground labels and cassette distributors who sign one-man gloomcore acts for example but I'm not sure how it would work if you play more conventional stuff and are aiming for a larger label.
>>
>>60826291
>Is it possible to get a record deal with a solo project?
no. that's why prince is not famous.
>>
it doesnt matter how many people are in the band, what matters is whether or not the musics good, same with production, management, promotion, etc

part of it also has to do with luck
>>
>>60826291
This is exactly how Tame Impala got big. Some label found his myspace and thought "this is really really good", gave him a call, offered him a record deal and a bunch of money, and told him to round up his friends to get a live band going.

The key is to make music that is actually good and has alot of effort put into it.
>>
>>60827837
was this when he was still playing the dee dee dums stuff of was he already making the tame impala demos?
>>
>>60827864
This was during / shortly after the dee dee dums. The early Tame Impala demos were just him recording stuff in his bedroom on his own.
>>
File: Tame_Impala_EP.jpg (15 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Tame_Impala_EP.jpg
15 KB, 300x300
>>60827864
pretty sure this was the one that got picked up by the label. The artwork is something he made for a college art class
>>
>>60827928
I think its cool how he did everything on his own

I always hear people say that in order to get signed or even get anywhere is to play live a lot, but i think it really comes down to having good, original sounding songs that have at least somewhat decent production

even people like Beck, like his really early stuff before mellow gold didnt have the greatest production but he knew how to take all his influences and make something new from it
>>
>>60827928
do you know what kind of recorder/software he used for this?
>>
>>60826341
>There are a lot of underground labels and cassette distributors who sign one-man gloomcore acts
Got some examples? I'm a one-man gloomcore act
Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.