[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: /mu/ circlejerks you don't understand Pic related:
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4
File: image.png (123 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
123 KB, 300x300
ITT: /mu/ circlejerks you don't understand

Pic related: I don't get the deal with Weezer. They sound to me like every other bland, MOR, mediocre yank-rock outfit, and yet /mu/ seems to rank them among the best of the 90s.
>>
>>60824575
Their style is quite characteristic im.o
>>
Joanna Newsom

fuck that cartoon grandma sounding bitch
>>
>>60824575
>I've got a Dungeon Master's Guide
>I've got a 12-sided die
>I've got Kitty Pryde
>And Nightcrawler too
>Waiting there for me
>Yes I do, I do
IIINN THE GRAAGE WHEEER I BEEE-LOOONG
>>
>>60824589
Characteristic of what?
>>
Beach Boys and Velvet Underground.
Sure they were very original and influential, but these days they sound pretty standard and boring, and just tame. They both have some catchy songs, but if you aren't looking at them from a historical aspect they really aren't that interesting.
Slint doesn't do much for me either. It just sounds so whiny, like it was the least "punk" punk album ever made.
>>
>>60824630
So they appeal to the basement-dwelling neckbeard type? Explains why they're so popular on /mu/ I guess
>>
>>60824643
... what about weezer?
>>
>>60824575

Kurt Cobain
>>
>>60824575
>using the term "circlejerk"
>>>/reddit/
>>
>>60824686
I've heard nothing but (imo somewhat undue) vitriol directed at Kurt on here desu
>>60824689
Suggest a better term?
>>
>>60824676
They're okay. A lot of songs off of their first album are actually really fun. I don't like Pinkerton much, but whatever.
>>
The Magnetic Fields
I mean, 69 love songs is full of filler and 2/3 are shit

Also Kanye
>>
>>60824643
slint isn't a punk band
>>
>>60824723
I get that they're fun, but I don't see how they get rated as highly as they do. /mu/'s worship of them seems a bit over the top, to me personally
>>
>>60824786
twee in general is something i'll never, never understand. grown adults trying to be cute just makes me sick
>>
>>60824786
Their worst album. People only talk it up because of the concept. Charm of the Highway Strip is a better starting point imo
>>
>>60824786
Fuck Kanye
>>
>>60824986
Well the people here usually jerk off to Pinkerton and not Blue Album. I think it's mainly because of the lyrics and it's emotional honesty. I'm certainly not a fan of it or anything, that's just my guess.
>>
>>60824575
I don't think weezer get praised on here as much as you think. I think weezer is one of those bands that resonate with a lot of younger aged people, so you have people on /mu/ who still really love them because they grew up listening to them. But there's definitely some on here who find them extremely lame and cheesy.
>>
As far as i'm concerned Weezer quit after pinkerton.
>>
>>60824630
I hate that song. The music is good but the lyrics are earth-shatteringly awful.

That said, the Blue Album is pretty solid. Surf Wax America and My Name is Jonas are great songs.
>>
imo desu baka senpai
>>
File: 1385905785007.jpg (5 KB, 281x200) Image search: [Google]
1385905785007.jpg
5 KB, 281x200
I don't understand /mu/ as a whole.
I listen to pretty much everything, but I recognize less than 1/5 of shit discussed here. And only then because I like a single song from them or something like that.
And I have never seen you discuss the songs we listen to here at parties.
>>
>>60826404
>>
>>60826404
obvious bait is obvious
>>
>>60826404
Furthermore, I don't understand the elitist board culture and your relation to music either.
I check the catalog like once every few months and every time I'm confused as fuck. Idk why I even bother

>>60826435
>>60826457
But it's not.
>>
>>60824606
Yeah, Joanna is really only liked because of the ass
>>
>>60824723
But.. but... Pinkerton is the best album
>>
>>60824986
Weezer just makes good music. All the songs on blue/pinkerton are enjoyable, except tired of sex.
>>
>>60826404
I know this is bait but "When do you ever hear this song at a party" is the argument my best friend uses constantly
>>
>>60824575
I'll try to explain my appreciation for them.

first of all they are good songwriters, which is a shared trait of more or less all good music and any other achievment the music has is worthless without it.

I think has just the right amount of irony. The lyrics of for example Buddy Holly have elements of traditional masculinity with lines like "I know that you need help" "you need a guardian" etc, but it's contrasted with the joking chorus about Buddy Holly and Mary Tyler Moore, and then there’s lines like “and that’s for all of time” sung in falsetto to make clear that it’s a gross hyperbole if there’s any truth in it. The unseriousness is brought along to the music. When it climaxes with a lone guitar mimicking the “that’s for all of time” line it’s tongue-in-cheek. And it does sound really cool, and Weezer knows this and the listener knows this but it’s presented jokingly because you “can’t” be unaplogetically cool with an electric guitar in 1994. It’s the same attitude throughout, where it’s edging around being a cool rock album because it would be less sincere if they tried not being ironic. It does however not try to be anything but a cool rock album either. Weezer comes from a rock stand point, makes fun of rock and then stays in the same position.

1/2
>>
>>60826902
Getting a bit back to the lyrics and the masculinity, this attitude is applied to the masculine stand point in the lyrics, in “No One Else” where a misogynistic desire for female submission is masked in a hyperbolic joke about desiring female submission, in “in the garage” where the new masculinity about cars, rock, fantasy novels and beer is displayed. There’s not really much subversion in the lyrics themselves but it’s performed in a way so it’s sounds like it’s been through a loop of irony to where it’s coming back around again and is almost sincere. I think this resonates with many young males who themselves are uncertain about how to express their masculinity and is in the same “so ironic that I almost mean it” camp.

2/2
>>
>>60826917
>>60826902

This is a pretty good description of why I like it. Moreso in Pinkerton, but these early Weezer songs really appeal to males that understand their faults as males but can't help them. A lot of Pinkerton talks about girls in an almost mysogynistic way, (just listen to Pink Triangle) but it's not without its own self awareness. You have these feelings towards a girl, and you feel jealous or angry or whatever, and you *know* you shouldn't because you aren't entitled to anyone's love, yet here you are, objectifying her nearly.
>>
>>60826634
How the fuck is this bait?
>hurr you don't listen to the same stuff as us, impossible
And I'm not saying songs you won't hear at parties are bad. I listen to a shitload of songs I wouldn't play at parties, or we listen to with specific friends when hanging out/drinking. But I've never seen any kind of club/dance/techno songs discussed here.
>>
>>60826982
>anything by Weezer as misogynistic
Not really familia, no doubt Rivers is troubled about and by women during the course of Pinkerton especially, but I feel he takes 1 step forward and 2 steps back everything he's borderline misogynistic, ie. he may say something bad but then immediately repent or talk about how much of an asshole he is.
>>
>>60826982
Thank you, I was afraid I was reading into it too much or something and posting long posts always has the "am I just being pretentious?" feeling.
>>
File: 10outof10.jpg (64 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
10outof10.jpg
64 KB, 500x500
>>60824575
>>
>>60827079
That's what we're talking about though, like when he sings "I want a girl who will laugh for no one else" it's a joke but you know the feeling. It's not misogynistic in a problematic way but rather it's about trying to cope with having those thoughts.
>>
>>60827079
That's the point I'm trying to make, sorry if I didn't express it clearly.

Rivers, and the males that relate to his music, KNOW what misogyny is and what it looks like. They have experiences and relations with a girl that turn sour and then they feel a certain way and recognize it as misyogynistic. But they still feel that way.

I just broke up with my girlfriend. The thought of her being with someone else makes me angry beyond belief, but I shouldn't feel like that. She's not mine, I'm not entitled to her body, etc. But I still feel that way and I recognize that it's not a healthy feeling but I'm still going to write songs about how it makes me feel torn apart.

That's what Pinkerton is. It's the struggle of being male with desires that aren't always okay.
>>
>>60824641
like pavement but more emo
>>
>>60824606
I think she sounds like she's doing a bad Minnie Mouse impression.
>>
>>60826607
>tired of sex.
literally the best song on the album
>>
File: Untitled.png (11 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
Untitled.png
11 KB, 600x600
only thing about this board i don't understand is how narrow the worldview of the average browser is. pic related.
>>
>>60827569
excuse me, but why should i take the opinion of a brother-killing cum eater seriously?
>>
>>60827601
that wasn't an opinion lol.
>>
>>60827569
literally 70+% of all music is garbage
>>
>>60827934
and literally 95% of the music that /mu/ talks about is part of the 70% that is garbage
>>
>>60827968
I'm not going to disagree with that. But it's stupid to criticize a music board with a target demographic for not listening to all music when most of it is hot trash.
>>
>>60825502
The song's about being an introverted dork/geek who enjoys being safe at home alone and away from people. The lyrics are fantastic if you can relate.
Thread replies: 50
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.