[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Why do people claim that Manson only sings about "real issues"
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2
Why do people claim that Manson only sings about "real issues" and not drugs, bitches and violence? He is one of the angriest, misogynistic and trashiest rockers in history.

>inb4 because he's mallgoth

Keep the meme accusation shitposting in le reddit lwg, I need actual good reasons to why people say he's a socially conscious rocker despite not being one.
>>
Since he was making music that SOUNDED different from mainstream music at the time, audiences believed that this translated to him being more "intellectual". In reality, it might've been different shit but it was still shit.
>>
cause people r fucking retarded
>>
I have literally never heard anyone claim that in my entire life.
>>
>>60819594
>>60819616
its a meme you dip
>>
Stop shitposting, no one liked your eminem post either.
>>
greatest Manson song ever coming through

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=THNEolxBmso
>>
Putting all the mallgoth shenanigans aside, you do know Marilyn Manson's entire act was basically satire and mocking of modern American culture with all it's hypocrisies and absurdity. Also going to point out, your idea of "socially conscious" is not everyone else's idea of "socially conscious"
>>
>>60819674
Damn... so Cooper-esque it's like crazy.
How did older people not see it this way then, like parents. I mean Manson was a thing when I was very young, how didn't they know it was just a progression of Alice Cooper?
>>
Does he have any great albums?

Should I give him a chance?
>>
>>60819989
no great albums. But antichrist superstar was produced by trent reznor and has a nice sustained mood to it.
The other albums are catchysingle+aggro+filler
>>
>>60819989
Pale Emperor.
>>
>>60819784
My mom really likes him now. I brought up to her how they took my Antichrist Superstar album away from me when I was a kid (I found it in their bedroom and took it back the same day). A she said she feels like an idiot for exactly that reason.

I guess the parental need to protect your kids can sometimes make you irrational.
>>
>>60819989
Basically anything before Holywood, Start with Antichrist Superstar though.
>>
MOMS GONNA FREAK IF SAY SOMETHING BAD ABOUT GOD
>>
>>60819989
Antichrist Superstar.
Mechanical Animals.

Stop there.

If you're adventurous, Portrait of an American Family (and Spooky Kids tapes) if you feel like some cool noise rock / lo-fi, or Pale Emperor if you got a weakness for shitty vocals on bland shuffled (but pleasing) 0-3-5 progressions recycled for 10 tracks.
>>
I love Marilyn Manson but if I'm being honest his newer albums are pretty shit.

Tourniquet is one of the GOAT music videos.
>>
>>60819989
Portrait of an American Family
Antichrist Superstar
Mechanical Animals
Holy Wood
Pale Emperor

Some of his other albums are good as well, but these are the great ones.
>>
>>60820306
if you're young enough to worry about what mommy migth say then I would hazard a guess that you're too young to frequent these here boards.
>>
>>60819989
the trilogy of Antichrist Superstar, Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood is p neat
>>
Because people said that when they were 13. Then they grew up and realized he was a attention-whoring nerd.
>>
le mandatory columbine empathy quote mention
>>
>>60819696
All of this. It baffles me that people can not distinguish between an act or character put on for entertainment and an actual person. Brian Warner is nothing like Marilyn Manson off stage.
>>
>>60821823
He doesn't play a character off-stage. He's the same person in private that he is in interviews. He doesn't pretend to be someone he's not. He's not a born-again Christian who golfs during weekends.

Brian Warner is only a name, one no one calls him by.
>>
>>60821898
>He's the same person in private that he is in interviews.
Don't be so sure of that.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4NXhwSxyIpo
Grade A dumbfuck.
>>
>>60821973
To elaborate:
>All of this. It baffles me that people can not distinguish between an act or character put on for entertainment and an actual person. Brian Warner is nothing like Marilyn Manson off stage.
This is where he failed. He wanted to spill this character into real life. And, deservedly so, ruined his life.
No sympathy here.
>>
>>60821973
Singling out one (out of thousands) interview(s) during the bad years in his life where he nearly killed himself. He's said himself that those years were not good to him and he stopped enjoying making music. He was forced by his record label to make THEOL. Alright, you proved your point.
>>
Post Holy Wood is fucking dogshit and MM needs to get kicked in the fuckin' jaw for ruining his own band.

Boring, repetitive, and wholly about how mopey and sad Brian is. That's it. Like listening to someone whine about his life, but semi-talk sing it at the same time.

Everything up to Holy Wood was all good in their own right because they had a clearly defined theme and let's face it, Manson was a good storyteller and his life is the fiction. Whether he realizes this or not, he created his own character and became it. So all his concept albums worked because he just became that character and invited us into his world. Everything since (incl. GAOG) have been incredibly disappointing because of the "I" perspective, the EXTREME narcissism and view from a man who isn't as interesting when he gets "real" because then you see how fucking pathetic his life is. I'm not trying to be mean but he's a lot like Michael Jackson, Jackson did "Thriller" and Captain Eo and "Ghosts"; making these music videos that were tiny movies. Yet over the years Michael's music grew weaker when we saw just how much self-hatred he had for himself and the plastic surgery and the child molestation charges. Manson has a lot of self-hatred and instead of getting medicated for it, he chooses to consume cocaine and absinthe which only magnifies his despair and he ruins every relationship he has ever had then tells us about it. He wants us to feel sorry for him but why? How can you feel anything but pity for a person who just does the same thing over and over -- his songs are like this now. "People will come to my funeral to see if I'm dead" sounds like Michael Jackson, huh?
>>
>>60822243
You didn't like Pale Emperor?
>>
While these two artists are different they are very familiar because Manson doesn't want to grow up either -- he wants "ironically" play celebrity -- living in his own private Neverland in the Hollywood Hills with his grotesque museum of trinkets which would be cute if you weren't a 40yo man whining about your mom / love life. He has become his own cliche, Manson either needs to return to a legit concept album (give us metaphor not your reality because it invites us to judge you and psychoanalyze you and it makes you look like a self absorbed cunt) or he needs to take off the makeup and get real with himself. How about some lyrics like "I put on this face and created this lie so you would love to hate me", there would be some honesty but like every other aging artist out there, he's going to pump out the same teenage angsty crap with lots of cursing "WE GOT GUNS MOTHERFUCKA! 666 FEET DEEP! DON'T NEED A MOTHERFUCKA LOOKIN' DOWN ON ME, GOT THE DEVIL BENEATH MY FEET! THIS IS YOUR DEATH'S DESIRE! BETTER PRAY FOR HELL NOT HALLELUJAH! STARLESS BUT SHE FUCKS LIKE A COMET! ANGELS DIE IN THE ARMS OF DEMONS!" (because its so naughty, omg my mom took away my album so now i love him even more!) that proves nothing. I know he's intelligent, but he's in love with his own despair and it's fucking disgusting. If he were telling a story I might be able to forgive the self-pity but when it's all from the "I" perspective it feels so incestuous like he is trying to get back who he used to be and plagiarizing his former self so much that it feels like a watered down version of him. New fans will love it who want to make their parents mad and scare their peers, longtime fans over the past decade will see through the charade and wonder why we have grown up and the "artist" hasn't.
>>
>>60822306
Eat Me Drink Me, Round 3. (theol was round 2)
All bets are off.
>>
>>60822318
*wants to "ironically"
*weren't a nearly 50 year old man
>>
>>60819674

ive always liked this song. had the spawn sound track when i was a kid.
>>
>>60820477
>Tourniquet is one of the GOAT music videos.

i agree.
>>
>>60819552
>He is one of the angriest, misogynistic and trashiest rockers in history.

back to tumblr senpai
>>
>>60823320

he does have some serious mummy/daddy issues
>>
>>60822326
what was born villain?
>>
>>60822318
Wow, you really made some great points there and I definitely agree with them. Weird how despite a lot of mu dismissing manson because "it's edgy", manson threads seem to bring out a lot of actual well thought out opinions.
>>
>>60819552
he's the industrial kanye
>>
>>60819552
Because he's brave enough to spit on religitards and burn the bible and get people like this to write these big, long, schizophrenic articles.
http://www.jesus-is-savior.com/Evils%20in%20America/marilyn_manson-the_truth.htm

All you really have to do is show these middle America kids that there's someone out there willing to trash what they grew up with (Christianity), and BOOM, he's socially conscious. He's about as socially conscious as that turd I just flushed down the toilet, and the fact that he's propounding that same schtick these days just means he's earned that fedora, since people who wear those are the only ones who still think he has any intellect in him at all.
>>
>>60825394
>the same shtick
He gave the middle finger to Christianity with 1 album. He reinvents himself with a new concept each album.
>>
>>60825449
But have you seen his live shows? He's been pretty much doing the same "rip up the Bible/spit on Christianity/get middle America in a tizzy" shit in every show I've seen, throughout the years and the stylistic changes. He's pretty much lived on controversy, so I see why he does it, but it's lost a lot of its luster; even most Christians don't give a fuck about the guy anymore, so he's lost his main source of free publicity. Nowadays, outside of the few dedicated fans he has left, only people like the guy in that link still care about him; he needs to at least switch up his "transgressive" shit every now and again to stay relevant, because he's pretty much as tame now as Alice Cooper was by the time Manson first started getting big.
>>
File: laughing_ladies.jpg (50 KB, 491x400) Image search: [Google]
laughing_ladies.jpg
50 KB, 491x400
>mfw I work at Gamestop in NYC and Manson came to purchase a WiiU with Smash Bros this year

most bizarre moment in my life
>>
>>60819552

He is supposed to be a satire
>>
>>60825655
Not really; he did all he did to shock Christians, and that's part of how he got so big as the Antichrist Superstar. Even if all that tasteless nonsense he did WAS satire, neither his detractors nor his fans took it that way; the Christians have mostly forgotten about him, but he still has a few fans (mainly piercing-riddled emo girls on Vampirefreaks) who do what the Christians feared they would and take everything he says to heart, curse a lot like him just to be edgy, genderbend, etc. Prime difference is that those kids' parents, by and large, couldn't give a fuck less about them, since they're just the white trash he preached against, only nonreligious.
>>
>>60821823
Ofcourse he's not a born again Christian, when that other guy said he was mocking American culture he meant Manson's music was showing the morbid absurdness of Christianity, Political Correctness, celebrity culture, guns, drug aadiction, and modern alienation. I think Manson was fantasitc before the drugs got to him and turned him into a parody of himself
>>
Antichrist superstar is one of the best shits ever, but maybe mucore posers can't understand it because their god fagtano didn't review it.
>>
>>60825558
I've seen him live multiple times. He does that during 1 song. He doesn't go the full way like he did in the 90's and wipe his ass with the American flag and then burn it. I don't agree with you. It may all seem very shallow and like a one-trick pony from an outsiders perspective, but it's not. He puts a lot of effort into every little thing in his art/music.

http://www.nachtkabarett.com/Grotesque (auto-playing sound)
>>
>>60825745
This
>>
>>60825750
>latest news 2011
why did this shit stop?
>>
>>60826183
Who knows, maybe they got into a fight or something. Creator of the site said he was working on a lot of content before he deleted the forum. He seemed quite clingy to Manson (Manson did refer to him as "the little brother he never had" though). Maybe Manson's fiance didn't want him hanging around or something.
Thread replies: 51
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.