[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Is Good Kid MAAD City better than Illmatic?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4
File: Nas_Kendrick_304-300x300.jpg (20 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Nas_Kendrick_304-300x300.jpg
20 KB, 300x300
Is Good Kid MAAD City better than Illmatic?
>>
Illmatic is garbage and Nas is boring. So yeah of course.
>>
Sing about me, I'm dying of thirst. Is better than illmatic
>>
>>60803204
Yes, by a mile.
>>
You'd have to be a retard to think so.

So no.
>>
>>60803204
GKMC is the Illmatic of the 2010s. Not the best album of its decade, but still pretty strong.

Don't really think it's fair to compare them head-to-head. They have a similar set-up, but very different atmospheres.
>>
no but 36 chambers is better than both
>>
>>60803277
>Not the best album of its decade, but still pretty strong.
You have ten seconds to name a better 10s album than GKMC.
>>
File: hogan.jpg (3 KB, 123x100) Image search: [Google]
hogan.jpg
3 KB, 123x100
>>60803204
no but it's decent
deal with it nerd

is this the hiphop thread? didn't see one

Mos Def - Modern Marvel
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M3N55g2fBko

KIllah Priest - B.I.B.L.E.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NKpIkOXgAmg

Gangstarr- Work
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GSszWXkDHa8
>>
>>60803294
MBDTF
>>
File: sup.jpg (27 KB, 386x498) Image search: [Google]
sup.jpg
27 KB, 386x498
>>60803305

Masta Ace - Son of Yvonne
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FbfBd9pYJAs&index=3&list=PL073B2B989DE79B1E

>oops
>>
in my opinion yes, just for the cohesive cinematic experience that GKMC offers.

But in the grand scheme of things Illmatic is probably the greatest hip hop album of all time, and incredibly important
>>
>>60803301
>posting a mos def song from new danger
mah nig
>>
>>60803305
This.
>>
>>60803294
TPAB
>>
File: 1448411857539.jpg (43 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
1448411857539.jpg
43 KB, 900x900
>>60803224
>>60803238
>>60803251
>>
DEFINITELY. Illmatic is literally the most overrated hip-hop album of all time. It's more overrated than TPAB, it's more overrated than MBDTF, it's more overrated than anything Death Grips or RTJ has done. It is PAINFULLY average and has like one standout song (Life's A Bitch). People believe Illmatic is GOAT because that's what critics still tell them to this day.
>>
>>60803294
YEEZUS
>>
>>60803294
TMS.
>>
>>60805009
>>60805025
this desu
>>
lol no
>>
>>60804939
NY State of Mind is probably the greatest hip hop song of all time tho.
>>
No.
>>
>>60803204
fuck no
>>
>>60803204
no
>>
>>60803204
No
>>
Amazing there is this much hate on Illmatic which is (arguably) the greatest hip-hop record of all time. I think the lyrics will echo throughout music forever and the importance of the record cannot be over exaggerated. My favorite of all time senpai
>>
If you had asked about TPAB instead of GKMC it would have been a better question.
>>
>>60804531
dumb frogposter
>>
>>60805580
I think most people consider Illmatic and GKMC to deal with similar issues and so they are more similar
>>
>>60804939
>>60805142
and Represent has DJ Premier's best beat tho.
>>
illmatic is poop so yes by a mile
>>
Very similar albums that deal with similar themes and issues. One is set in NYC, one is set in Compton, two very different hubs for hip hop.

Illmatic changed rap forever, nobody can argue that. GKMC was a lot more bold and ambitious.

It's hard to say whether one is better than the other. I think Illmatic is more important, but they're both great.
>>
>>60803204
I don't quite see how they're comparable. They both talk about watching what's going on on the streets from kind of an outside perspective as a kid growing up around it, sure, but GKMC feels a lot more preachy and like a concept album while Illmatic is more a cycle of songs that paint a picture of where Nas was at at the time. Much different atmosphere and take-away message, especially when you consider that Nas went on to be yet another mafioso rapper talking about macking bitches and moving pounds of coke. Sonically, of course, they're a lot different as well.
>>
>>60804939
I take it from this post that you weren't around when Illmatic came out? The album changed the game in a way that no singular album has ever changed a genre of music before. Rap before this album was really simple and bland for the most part, but Nas kinda made everyone step up to keep up with him with Illmatic.

The album hasn't aged that well and when go back and listen, it does sound pretty boring, but that's because virtually everything that came out in the two decades after it was influenced by it.

So I'm agreeing and disagreeing. Yes, it's a little boring in 2015, but the reason people say it's the best hip hop album is because of how much it changed things.

Source: old ass rap fan
>>
>>60806851
There was definitely good stuff going on in New York going on before Illmatic that influenced it, though. It's not like Nas just came through with the first lyrical jazz-sampling boom-bap album out of nowhere. Step In the Arena had already been out and all that. Not saying that Nas didn't raise the bar, though, because Illmatic definitely did. Wu-Tang was already revitalizing shit, too.
>>
>>60806749
What exactly did Illmatic change? I'm asking a genuine question.
>>
'no' [read: no]
>>
>>60806851
What exactly did Illmatic change? I'm asking a genuine question.
>>
>>60803204
How young are you? Jesus.
>>
>>60807178
I'm 25, which makes me older than most people here. Problem?
>>
>>60803294
RTJ2
>>
>>60803301
Mos Def my nigga for life. His discography as a whole shouldn't be ignored. People tend to focus solely on BOBS and he has so much more than that.
>>
>>60803265
unless you're retarded, right?
>>
>>60803294
TPTB
>>
>>60803204
I like it more. But better in terms of overall composition and influence? Prob not
>>
Shit production
Average flow
Good lyrics
Illmatic is decent as fuck. GKMC is amazing. much better
>>
Ummm...the short answer is no. Long answer....no.
>>
>>60807454
I love Mos, BBoS and The Ecstatic are among my favorite hiphop albums. But, I gotta say, New Danger is kinda shit.
>>
hell no
>>
>>60808556
Also GKMC>Illmatic but both are amazing.
>>
>>60803204
Maybe it's because I wasn't old enough to hear Illmatic when it first came out, but I enjoyed GKMC more than Illmatic.

I feel as though I enjoy things much more when they're new, the latest thing, you know?
>>
>>60804939
Lmao kys
>>
>>60803204
yes
>>
One of these albums would not existed without the other,

so, no
Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.