[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Guitar Learning
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2
Hey /mu/ it's my first time here so be gentle
I just bought a guitar(pic related) and decided to finally start learning to play one since it's been a childhood dream.
I have a teacher and I am practicing, but i was wondering what starter tips would you give me(if you have any)
>>
>>60798113

learning theory and musicology is a waste of time and kills the fun. do what i did and watch tutorials etc.

basic chords and shit like that takes 1 google search
>>
>>60798240
>learning theory and musicology is a waste of time and kills the fun.

Idk, seems pretty fun and useful to me.
>>
>>60798252
its not
>>
>>60798240
tutorials are all too different and varied , and some are exactly what the teacher told me to do , and i agree that learning the few basic steps and such is important, i basically need tips to make smoother movements over the chords and frets
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aUJpAO_4dJU

Now this is music
>>
If you are ever planning on performing play standing up with a guitar strap, because as soon as you actually switch from sitting to standing its like relearning how to play guitar.
>>
>>60798300
checked

for now i just want to learn how to play for myself , i didn't even tell anyone about me getting one , except my sister and two friends
>>
As soon as you learn your first chord start creating your own music, it will force you to explore the guitar and really understand it as an instrument.
>>
>>60798252
Theory is boring and can make things very clinical. It is however essential once you reach a certain point and you want to make decent music.
>>
Learn music theory with guitar if you're an adult that's had to work for a living. You're not the sponge you were, it's about systems and grids. You can make songs the moment you know a major / minor scale. Look at the /gg/ sticky on this board
>>
>>60798113
My number one tip is do this every single day, because it builds your calluses fast, makes your fingers and grip strong really fast, and improves your finger accuracy. Do it every day while you watch your anime.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XDt_4ha9Xjs

This is more important than anything else, and if your teacher doesn't have you doing this, fire him.
>>
Don't give up. The first few weeks are the hardest and you may feel like shit for not being able to play something but stick with it.
>>
>>60798924
Justin is the most based youtube guitar teacher
>>
File: 1449200584001.jpg (31 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
1449200584001.jpg
31 KB, 500x500
>>60798113
>>60798095
>>
I have only been playing for a bit over a year and what i find best, especially if you just want to play for personal use. Is to put on a backing track and try to make it work. It helps with understanding what notes and chords go with what and helps with your timing.
>>
How much practice is ideal? I don't want to get burned out by practicing too much, but I also obviously don't want to practice too little or too poorly. Also, where do I start? Chords? Scales?
>>
Get a metronome. Start really really slow. Build up. Boom
>>
>>60801422
Both, set at least 10min aside for nonstop slow scales, and learn the C scale in chords
>>
>>60798240
I agree with this guy, been playing for about 20 years now and never learned to read music. Only had a handful of lessons and stopped when it started getting to that point. Just learn the songs you want to learn and you'll figure stuff out that way while being excited that you're actually playing what you want to play.

My 2c. There are a lot of harmonizer pedals and shit nowdays that take a lot of the theory out of writing epic solos and shit and you'll probably find most your favourite songs are just power chords and shit which is easy as fuck and requires no lessons.
>>
>>60798113
first you'll want to learn all the basic chords (E - Em - F - G - A - Am - C - D) then move onwards to piecing together whatever song you want to strum along with, go on from there.
>>
>>60798277
>smoother movements over the chords and frets

I know a pretty good exercise if you can stand to do it - this won't be fun.

Presumably you already know a handful of open-position chords: C, Em, Am, and so on. If you really want to work on fluency moving between these chords, then practice moving from one chord shape to another by moving one finger at a time to the required position while keeping the rest of your hand COMPLETELY STILL. You will need to move very slowly, and concentrate very hard, at first, and as I said, it can be frustrating, but it will work wonders for your co-ordination. Trust me
>>
>>60798924
also reccing this

also check out his site

justinguitar helped a lot when I was starting out
>>
>>60798924
i dont watch anime (anymore)
I just play vidya , also wow this thread is still alive
Yes my teacher did tel me this too , saved for future reference
Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.