[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/shugazi/ - Shoegaze (Dream Pop, Noise Pop, and Blackgaze) General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8
File: pinkshinyultrablast.jpg (445 KB, 1200x600) Image search: [Google]
pinkshinyultrablast.jpg
445 KB, 1200x600
What's everyone in /shugazi/ listening to tonight?
>>
File: nty.jpg (56 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
nty.jpg
56 KB, 500x500
>>60786848
Going through some of Coaltar of the Deeper's work. Listening to pic related right now, I just wish the band did less screaming, it can get kind of cringy at times.
>>
I FUCKING LOVE LOVELESS
SO FUCKING MUCH
>>
>>60787551
uuuuh why wud u lisen to a bullet for my valetine
>>
Wish We Were is better.
>>
File: 34235246.jpg (115 KB, 608x623) Image search: [Google]
34235246.jpg
115 KB, 608x623
i'm just getting into these genres starting from loveless. i've been listening to a lot of black tambourine lately and loving it, anything similar someone can rec?
>>
>>60787551
Try Lilys, anon. In The Presence of Nothing feels like a sort of successor to Loveless for me.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_lKe6CnTk_A
>>
>>60788033
Also he was literally trying to remake Loveless' sound
>>
File: 220px-Wild_Nothing_Gemini.jpg (14 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
220px-Wild_Nothing_Gemini.jpg
14 KB, 220x220
whats good dream-pop

I love wild nothing but cant find anything quite like it that i like
>I havent searched very hard either
>>
I've been wondering lately what exactly it is about shoegaze that we like so much? I don't know about you guys, but I crave this kind of music, hearing a song without some sort of droning texture in the background doesn't do it for me anymore
>>
File: 1427220553883.jpg (4 MB, 4448x4136) Image search: [Google]
1427220553883.jpg
4 MB, 4448x4136
>>60787798
I really like Black Tambourine, friend. If you want more noisy/poppy stuff like them you have a couple choices:

1) Check this image and look at the noise pop section for some similar albums. I would also recommend the albums Psychocandy (and maybe Honey's Dead) by Jesus and Mary Chain.

2) Find other bands/genres. A couple of modern bands that were influenced by black tambourine are The Pains of Being Pure at Heart (poppy, noisy, shugazi influence) and the Vivian Girls (self titled album was best) which were more of a garage rock act but used a ton of reverb and shit. Dum Dum Girls by extension but they don't really deliver on the noise. There's also a Costa Rican band called Las Robertas who sort of mimed the vivian girls sound but made it a little dreamier/ more laid back. Finally you could check some garage punk like Oblivians and The Reatards who have a nice, crunchy guitar tone and some catchy songs but certainly don't make pop.
>>
File: Pulling Our Weight.jpg (63 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
Pulling Our Weight.jpg
63 KB, 500x500
>>60788840
Someone recommended me Beach House, but honestly, nothing really clicked until I heard Bluebird and She's So Lovely.

Been also listening to Radio Dept., Seoul and Day Wave recently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dCApnepG2hE
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEDTDhjXlWk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ayw9Um3Lg1k
>>
>>60789078
I'm not sure man, but I know exactly what you mean about needing some kind of textured noise behind everything.

I remember back when I did that MBTI thing and found I was an INTP and did some reading about it cause it seemed fun at the time. A couple of blurbs about the kind of music INTPs listen to kind of stuck out in relation to shoegaze:
"INTPs are often keen on melancholic minor-key music in which an introspective and/or esoteric mood is conveyed."
"When their analytical thinking dominates the choice of music to listen to, the need for intellectual stimulation derived from complex structures and sounds will override concerns for cultured harmony. Hence, INTPs are often drawn to dissonance. Indeed, they may even thoroughly strive for dissonant sound worlds. When in such moods, consonant harmonies, especially of the three-chord-melody variety, are dismissed as boring and uninspired. If an INTP is forced to listen to simple harmonic music for a while, he usually can't wait to feel the relief provided by a few minutes of pure dissonance. Their ideal music might typically be something with a complex, but analyzable structure, with a rich and varied sound world, predominantly dissonant but with sections of melodic motifs to provide solidity."

So there you go. I don't think this preference is limited to "INTPs" I think there's just a certain kind of person that finds comfort in dissonance and confusion. Hence we enjoy that distorted/fuzzed out texture, along with maybe some tremolo to keep the melodies subtle and hard to grasp.

>>60786848
By the way, does anyone have a link for Crash City Saints because it sounds pretty good but i can't find a download to save my life
>>
>>60789692
p good
>>
Electro Group is my shit. Anybody a link to their first album? It's supposedly a psychedelic shoegaze masterpiece.
>>
im gonna share some shit to get your mouth waterin b ready
>>
>>60788840
How about Cigarettes After Sex?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5soixb2U6xM
>>
r u ready
>>
Anything similar to Grandeur of Hair? Blown away.
>>
>>60794376
I haven't heard anything QUITE like it. You could check out their other material, particularly their earlier album, 'Between The Dead'.

Otherwise you could do what some anon said in another thread and just take an Astrobrite album like Whitenoisesuperstar or maybe their latest Deluxer and slow it down to maybe half speed :^)
>>
File: nX9OR2A[1].jpg (100 KB, 886x886) Image search: [Google]
nX9OR2A[1].jpg
100 KB, 886x886
>>60793338
>>60794255
Ok I'm sharing it.

Purple Pilgrims - Purple Pilgrims
>Dream Pop, Psychedelic Rock, Ambient, Shoegaze, Lo-Fi,

https://mega.nz/#!PYpkVIqL!9GEftpBxOQFskBMsu_RrELG--UVCrbEpo3SmbQm5iak

https://pseudoarcana.bandcamp.com/album/purple-pilgrims-pa128

I plan to spam this for a while because it worked for Grandeur of Hair.
>>
>>60794376
You might like this. >>60795621

It's almost like if The Goslings wanted to replace the distortion with similarly excessive amounts of reverb on a lo fi recording.
>>
>>60795621
Not bad. Thanks for the rec
Thread replies: 23
Thread images: 8

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.