[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/AnCo general/
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6
File: ebt3poxjdzshs3jnjvgg.jpg (108 KB, 620x915) Image search: [Google]
ebt3poxjdzshs3jnjvgg.jpg
108 KB, 620x915
30 second clips of each track off Painting With. Don't know if this is old news but here:
http://www99.zippyshare.com/v/iHRvu55Q/file.html
>>
bumpo
>>
bamp
>>
This sounds SERIOUSLY good. What an amazing departure from Centipede Hz!
>>
Also, some quotes about the album from AnCo themselves:

In contrast to their previous work, Animal Collective decided to eliminate the reverb effects and drawn-out musical passages. Portner commented: "Everything seems drenched in reverb these days, and is so distant. In a way, it was a reaction to that." Weitz added: "We talked about no ambient [passages]. Even [2009's] Merriweather Post Pavillion, people were saying was our poppiest record up to that point, but there still were like long, drawn-out passages of drone. With this one we were just like in and out. No long buildups to get to it, no long outros. We talked about, like, our Ramones record." Lennox elaborated with a comparison to the first Ramones album: "There was this idea of wanting to do something with short songs, with a homogenous energy to the record. ... not that we expected the music to sound like that, but we wanted to do something where the first song revs up the engine, and it kind of just cruises after that. We didn’t want to throw in some ethereal moment. We wanted to do something that blasted away the whole time."
>>
i'm hyped
>>
Animal Collective and John Cale? AOTD confirmed
>>
>>60784324
samples killed my hype a little bit

like they sound good, but they're seem too consistent in sound imo
>>
>>60785097
What do you mean by consistent?
As in too similar or?
>>
>>60784750
And this kills the hype.
>no ethereal droning
>no ambeint soundscapes
>no transitions between songs
>overall "warm" poppy sound

Is this it for AnCo?
>>
>>60785188
Certainly not. They've gotta keep switching things up and it sounds like they know what they're doing.
>>
>>60785141
yea, like compared to their previous stuff every song has its own sorta sound. this album seems like theyre all workin with the same tools nomsayin
>>
Hella hype

It does seem weird that all the vocals have that Boys Latin thing going on
>>
>>60785188
>wanting more of the same
>afraid of change
what are u a pussy

>>60785271
I noticed that as well. I'm hoping once we get the full tracks each one will become more distinct., which I'm fairly confident about. Besides, ach AnCo album has had it's own kind of sounds and you could always tell which album a song belonged to so it isn't anything different from before

>>60785296
I kinda like that whole thing they do, it makes the vocals interesting, I just hope they don't overdo it
>>
>>60785374
>>wanting more of the same
Not necessarily. I was just hoping after MPP and the mess that was CHz that they'd go back to more experimentation and hopefully a more minimal sound. Instead what we're getting is another (possible even moreso) straightforward pop album. From the samples all the songs kind of sound pretty samey to me. I'm probably still gonna buy it and enjoy it, I'm just afraid that I'll get burnt out on a straightforward and uninteresting AnCo.
>>
I'm kinda on the fence about this. It sounds half-Strawberry Jam half-Centipede Hz, and I was never a massive fan of either.
>>
>>60785573
The vocals are more MPP and Sung Tongs
>>
>>60785555
nice quads. I find this very minimalistic for AnCo personally. It's not like your worries aren't warranted though

>>60785573
>>60785601
This sounds more like a stripped down Water Curses to my ears, which I really like
>>
File: panda.jpg (83 KB, 940x525) Image search: [Google]
panda.jpg
83 KB, 940x525
>>60785188
Don't get me wrong, that's my favorite AnCo, but AnCo has to change every release. And while this maybe has some similarities to Panda's most recent output, this sounds like a completely unique AnCo album.

>>60785097
You know, they killed my hype at first too. Though they all sounded the same on first listen....but then again, the masterpiece that is Sung Tongs largely sounded the same on first listen too.

These all have a similar tone/timbre, whatever you wanna call it. For sure. But the samples start to sound quite different the more I listen to them. I'm super excited. Yes, maybe more of the same types of songs. I feel you, I like when each AnCo album has a bunch of songs that all sounds completely different. But I don't necessarily need that. If they're focusing on the "song" quality, as they say in the Rolling Stone article, I'm really excited to see what comes from that.

>>60785374
>Besides, ach AnCo album has had it's own kind of sounds and you could always tell which album a song belonged to so it isn't anything different from before
Exactly

God I'm so excited. I don't think there's any chance this will top their older stuff, but it sounds like a reason to get excited about AnCo again. Even though I liked PBVSGR, I just don't think that was as good as pre-ChZ AnCo. This sounds like it could be back to that winning era.

Of course it seems weird at first. I mean, this is the same band that dropped Campire Songs and Sung Tongs out of nowhere. Then drop Feels. Then Strawberry Jam. Then MPP. Panda drops Person Pitch out of nowhere. I wish I was around at that time to understand how that all felt. I a lot of those albums didn't sound that great at first. They're just so different. As this is.
>>
Some samples sound pretty fantastic, but the third sample from the end sounds like a really really horrible early 2000's cartoon theme nickelodeon. I'll probably end up liking it, but it leaves such an un fashionable mental image.
>>
>>60785573
I don't think it sound like either, at least instrumentally. I think people are getting so caught up in the vocals that the very sharp and stabbing rhythms and slick, plastic sound design is getting ignored. They've never done anything quite like this - sounds even less organic than PBVSGR and MPP/CHz.
>>
File: anco.jpg (254 KB, 800x534) Image search: [Google]
anco.jpg
254 KB, 800x534
>>60785555
this is me >>60785695
but yeah, don't get me wrong, I FEEL YOU. I was really hoping for a return either to that sound (acoustics, drones, noise, etc.) or for them to go all house/techno. I know they love that music, Principle Real is basically a house song, and that scuba diving improv jam they released not too long ago was DOPE DOPE DOPE.

But this sounds great.

Still, if I were Animal Collective, I'd release Painting With, but then, shit....why not also release a couple throwback EPs?! I'd release a Prospect Hummer 2-esque thing. But that's just me. I have no idea what it feels like to be them and be in their position at this point in their career. Maybe they hate all that old shit now. I know I hate all my old shit.
>>
Fav samples?

Mine was the 3rd (Vertical)
>>
>>60785810
>Principle Real is basically a house song

What do you think My Girls is?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LOLE1YE_oFQ
>>
>>60785899
My Girls is not a house track
>>
>>60785893
natural selection + recycling
>>
>>60785950
But it samples a house track is the point I'm making
>>
>>60784750
If you look at the tracklist on wikipedia you can see how evident this is upon how a lot of the tracks are just barely 3 minutes. Not that it's a bad thing, just an observation.
>>
>>60785899
Uhm, well I definitely don't think it's a house song,

>>60785950
this

>>60785971
Soooo? Doesn't make it a house song dude.
>>
>>60785971
Still doesn't have anything to do with house though. Especially since it's not a sample.
>>
Checked out CA and then remembered why I don't go there anymore. People are getting so defensive with users who don't like the new song, lol.
>>
>>60785950
>>60785971
>>60786032
Without the vocals it could definitely be a house track.

But the vocals are a very important part so it's definitely not a house track.
>>
So the LP comes with a 7" featuring two non-album tracks. What do you guys think it'll be like? Different sound than the album? Better? Another Honeycomb/Gotham?
>>
>>60786230
House tracks can have vocals. But My Girls is not a fucking house track, no matter what parts you take out.

If you think it is, you don't know what house is.
>>
File: cover.jpg (24 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
24 KB, 300x300
I like how nearly everyone is insanely trying to already form an opinion on an album based on about 8% or less of the whole thing. I don't see how that can be of value to anybody, less so a music enthusiast.
Take a breath, let the anxiety slip and try to don't form bullshit ideas about something so soon. Enjoy it while you actually listen to it!
That's just my opinion.
>>
>>60786230
No, it's not a house beat, even if it's in 4/4. In fact, the only song on MPP that's close rhythmically is Also Frightened, but even that's not it exactly.

Also, House very often has vocals, especially the Chicago variety.
>>
>>60786256
No I can definitely hear the similarities to house, man.

It might have to do with the Frankie Knuckles sample mixed with the four on the floor beat.

Panda is pretty transparent about it being pretty heavily influenced by house.

So while it may not be a house song entirely, it has some pretty strong house themes.
>>
who /floridada/ here?
>>
Anyone else think this one is gonna leak early? CHz somehow didn't leak until the day it was broadcast. Hoping this bad boy drops this month.
>>
>>60786338
No, just because it's influenced by house doesn't make it house. In fact, the part thats similar to the knuckles track is just the melody, which is irrelevant to what makes house, house. Also it's not just about being 4 on the floor, but also the placement of the hi hats and kick drum, which My Girls does not share with the traditional archetype, and the way it's structured is different too. It's purely synth pop.

And again, it's not actually a sample.
>>
>>60786338
You originally said it was a house song, not that it was similar to one. Lol.

Sample Frankie Knuckles all you want, it's just a fucking arpeggio. Doesn't mean anything genre-wise. And yes, I know he's influenced by house. Still is not a house song. House themes? No. Similarities? I mean, sure, mayyybe. But it's not even 1/5th of a house song.
>>
I know for a fact I will like anything they release that this point, I didn't like CHz all that much but applesauce, moonjock, monkey riches and amanita I come back to a lot. Now for what I'm hearing from Painting with I think it's sounding more like this:

Sonically: MPP/Strawberry Jam; I'm basing this off Floridada which I've been listening to extensively

Vocals: Sung tungs/Boys Latin; avey is gonna be singing as much as panda but I could be wrong

Composition: im gonna go with PB vs GR and lots of heavy, poppy hooks but you won't mind hearing it because it's freaking AnCo

I'd also like to add that this is without the deak so it won't be crazy sounding
>>
>"[Floridada] is sort of inspired by hating on people from Florida," Animal Collective member David Portner—better known as Avey Tare—reveals in an interview with Newsweek. "I was driving in L.A. and flipping through the radio dial and came across a morning radio show where they're just talking all the time. They had a segment called, like, 'Dumb Things People Are Doing In Florida.' It kind of bothered me." "Everybody—they kind of agree that Florida's such a weird place, know what I mean?" Portner says. "But in a way, that's part of the charm of it."

http://www.newsweek.com/story-behind-floridada-animal-collectives-twisted-ode-florida-399955

also i'm probably really late on this but wtf, his real name is david portner? i always thought avey tare was his real name or at least a nickname
>>
>>60786659
lol really mate?

they usually call him dave tho
>>
>>60786669
i don't usually read articles or watch interviews or look at posts on the internet i just listen to animal collective in my room in the dark alone
>>
Why have they never been able to best Strawberry Jam?
>>
>>60786659
Apparently the name came from a moment where his name, "Davey" was written on a piece of paper and he tore off the "avey".
>>
>>60786659
Yeah, I though his Avey Tare was his legit name too.
He does look kinda foreign though.
>>
>>60786522
>>60786521
w e w
>>
Damn, I'm loving the samples. Mom actually surprised at how much detail I can hear in these tracks at a quality that most likely 192 kps, so I can only imagine how great and distinct they'll sound at a higher bitrate.
>>
>>60786739
Because Strawberry Jam is a once-in-a-lifetime masterpiece t b h.
>>
>>60786992
shout out to mom
>>
>>60787087
Lol woops, I'm on my phone and not wearing my glasses and oh god this is just like when I accidentally called my fourth grade teacher mom in front of my whole class fuck I'm having flashbacks
>>
>>60787167
dont kill yrself
>>
>>60787167
Haha, it's cool, man, it happens.
>>
File: 1439003737708.png (585 KB, 616x587) Image search: [Google]
1439003737708.png
585 KB, 616x587
I haven't listened to the samples yet because I want to listen to it in full

yes i'm a faggot
>>
>>60787167
>yelling at your gym coach "Hey Dad" across the gymnasium junior year of high school

this didn't happen
>>
>>60787362
same
>>
>>60787362
i listened to hocus pocus and its p spooky desu
>>
File: 1380591665568.png (38 KB, 430x183) Image search: [Google]
1380591665568.png
38 KB, 430x183
>>60787362
>>
Holy fuck, Hocus Pocus is great.
Thread replies: 61
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.