[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>16 track lp >4 "good" tracks >"great
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2
File: MMGoodNews5075.jpg (19 KB, 480x480) Image search: [Google]
MMGoodNews5075.jpg
19 KB, 480x480
>16 track lp
>4 "good" tracks
>"great album"

Do I still not understand this after 10 years?
>>
Filler tracks aside, I felt that every track on this album was good
>>
No you're completely right. Modest Mouse took a nosedive into mediocrity after M&A
>>
>>60767661
They were always pretty mediocra.
>>
>>60767661
>>60768303
No they were fantastic for Long Drive and LCW

M&A is radio indie rock trash as much as any of their later albums, stop defending it.
>>
There are no decent tracks on that record. Even a decade later it's shit and everything after that is even worse. I'm so confused, because they're first two were fucking amazing.
>>
>>60768863
bruh M&A was still pretty good, and i don't see how you can say it was radio indie trash.

name two songs off that album that could be played on the radio
>>
File: 1443938227737.jpg (49 KB, 640x480) Image search: [Google]
1443938227737.jpg
49 KB, 640x480
I like most of the tracks that aren't the short interludes. Dance hall was just to weird for me, like pistol on STO
>>
>>60770002
The first four songs on that album could easily belong on the radio.
>>
>>60767621
Dance Hall is literally the only bad song on that album, unless you're including the interludes and horn intro as "songs". World at Large, Float On, Ocean Breathes Salty, Bury Me With It, Bukowski, This Devil's Workday, The View, Satin in Coffin, Black Cadillacs, One Chance and The Good Times are Killing Me are all fantastic tracks. If you dislike GNFPWLBN you're either not a fan of Modest Mouse or you're an insufferable contrarian. Of course, 90% of /mu/ was like 5 when this came out, so maybe it's that too.
>>
>>60770250
Yeah, back in 2000 when Korn, Limp Bizkit, Eminem and boy bands were dominating the radio charts, Dark Center of the Universe or Perfect Disguise would have just fit in perfectly.

I know you grew up with Kidz Bop covers of The Shins on Radio Disney, but in that era, no, nothing from the first 4 tracks with the possible exception of Gravity Rides Everything was radio material.
>>
I still like it. The vaguely spacey/psychedelic guitar lines and increasing prevalence of strings were a logical (and welcome) addition to their sound on M&A.
Good News applies that progression to tighter songs. I don't know why /mu/ is anti-good song writing nowadays.
>inb4 muh experimentation, zeitgeist defining sonic explorations
it's just pop music dude. it always was.
>>
>>60770320
Shit, meant that for >>60770153
>>
It's a fucking great album m8
>>
ALREADY WE'LL ALL FLOAT ON ALL RIGHT
>>
>>60770250

Dance Hall kicks ass!!

>>60767621

'The Good Times are Killing me' is an essential hangover song. And even though 'Float On' became the Big Hit and all, it still carries tons of shared good memories for everyone. 'World at Large is Great', 'Blame it on the Teton's was great.

There was definitely a few missed steps and weird filler on this record, but whatevs, it's still full of good songs.
>>
AND WE WERE DONE DONE DONE WITH ALL THE FUCK FUCK FUCKIN' AROUND
Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.