[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
David Bowie (?)
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: David Bowie - Hunky Dory.jpg (301 KB, 1300x1300) Image search: [Google]
David Bowie - Hunky Dory.jpg
301 KB, 1300x1300
What's /mu/'s opinion on David Bowie. IMO it's preeeeeety good. Pic related I really like, along with Ziggy Stardust and Heroes.

Please discuss.
>>
listen to low
>>
>>60763150
I have, but I prefer these three, imo. It's still very good though.
>>
>>60763117
>I like this
>please discuss

fuck off
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gGxoVa28sw8

this song has david bowie and gary oldman on it
>>
"Heroes" > Low > Aladdin Sane > Scary Monsters > Ziggy Stardust > others
>>
>>60763117
I love Bowie. Not all albums, but a good chunk of them. Berlin Trilogy + the two Iggy Pop albums are probably my favourite period (even if Lodger wasn't that spectacular).
After that it's Hunky Dory, followed by Ziggy, Aladdin Sane, Station to Station and Scary Monsters in no particular order.

The Next Day was defiantly okay in my book, and the track Blackstar is interesting, so I'm eagerly awaiting the new album. I'm not thinking it's going to be among his greatest, but hopefully it's going to be good.
>>
>>60763117
yeah ziggy and hunky are the best. diamond dogs is super underrated too. heroes has some of his best tracks but it's got too many bad ones

>>60763169
lol true
>>
the patrician's choice is scary monsters and super creeps To Be Honest

dat opening track hnnnnnnnnnnnnnnnng
>>
>>60763117
he ruined music

he is not even a musician, more like an entertainer with great marketing
>>
File: 1447686545509.jpg (935 KB, 2349x3472) Image search: [Google]
1447686545509.jpg
935 KB, 2349x3472
Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) = Lodger > Station to Station > Low = Diamond Dogs > The Rise and Fall = Aladdin Sane > 'Heroes' = Young Americans >= The Man Who Sold the World > Space Oddity
>>
>>60763117
I like bowie but do we need to have the same thread every other day?
>>
>>60763639
Forgot Hunky Dory. I guess it would be between TMWSTW and Space Oddity. But he's barely even about music anyway. I'm not criticizing him, I love him as an artist and as a musician, I had a phase (we've all been 15) in which he was quite literally all I'd listen to, but his genius isn't in his music as much as it is in his showmanship and style
>>
>>60763609
>>
>>60763609
But if you're just listening to the music alone what you said doesn't really apply does it.
>>
>>60763753
>>60763609
yo anon he fried u
>>
>>60763419
Hunky Dory > Aladdin Sane > Others
>>
>>60763117
My ex girlfriend cheated on me with someone who's last name is pronounced Bowie, but not spelled the same. Therefore, I have to hate David Bowie, which is no great loss on my part because I never listened to him in the first place.
>>
Station to Station > Low > Heroes > Ziggy > Scary Monsters > Diamond Dogs = Aladdin Sane > Hunky Dory
>>
>>60764020
>Hunky Dory
2 singles and a bunch of filler: the album
>>
I've got nothing but love and respect for David Bowie, but I tend to gravitate towards his early stuff. Don't particularly care for anything he did after Diamond Dogs. That's not to diminish anything he did after that, but I have my preferences, and know what I personally like.
>>
>>60763609
Nice Scaruffi opinion anon
>>
Lodger
Heathen
Heros
The Next Day
There can be only one and the others will be destroyed choose wisely Anons.
>>
File: bowiewhat.jpg (34 KB, 431x300) Image search: [Google]
bowiewhat.jpg
34 KB, 431x300
>>60763639
>Scary Monsters (and Super Creeps) = Lodger

This opinion is insane.

>>60763648
I agree. I've seen three fav bowie album threads in less than 24 hours.

>>60763609
He plays guitar, bass, piano and saxophone. What he did extra-musically has no bearing on his music.
>>
>>60764263
his best work
>>
Once upon a time, bowie was the closest /mu/ could get to agreeing that an artist was good. That time has long since passed.

That being said my favorites are Heroes, Low, and Scary Monsters. Honorable mention to Hunky Dory, Aladdin Sane, and Diamond Dogs.

Honestly you can pretty much listen to any of it; it's all good
>>
>>60763592
>bad tracks
>Heroes
>>
earthling is a masterpiece
btw hunky dory is pretty good but i prefer The Man Who Sold The World
>>
>>60768766
Earthling is so underrated
>>
Thoughts on The Next Day? I thought it was pretty good for him not doing anything for 10 years.
>>
>>60770272

A great record, I've listened to it plenty and still feels good man.
>>
Playlists:

>Five years
Self-titled through to Diamond Dogs
>Ziggy
Ziggy - Diamond dogs
>Early
Deram - Hunky Dory
>FunkSoul
Diamond-Dogs - Station to Station
>Kraut years
Station - Lodger
>Best years
Station - Scary Monsters
>Berlin
Low - Lodger
>80s
Scary Monsters - Never Let Me Down
>Pop
Let's Dance - Black Tie
>90s
Black Tie - Hours
>New
Heathen - The Next Day
>90s trip
Buddha - Earthling
>>
File: 1421997128229.jpg (126 KB, 578x553) Image search: [Google]
1421997128229.jpg
126 KB, 578x553
>>60770272
>>60770371

>tfw you realize The Next Day and Blackstar are a double album

>Doubling down on bowie's Rock A side, Experimental B side work.

>The album will be called [spoiler]New Music Day and Night[/spoiler]
>>
>>60770633

I dunno, The Next Day deluxe edition included some pretty wild tracks like Heat and Plan. It's not so straight up as plebieans would imply.
>>
what do yall niggas think of Marc Bolan and T Rex?
>>
>>60771163

Pretty dated.
>>
Why is Bowie the classic rock artist /mu/ can admit to liking?
>>
>>60771163
2nd best glam rock band i think

i really like them
>>
>>60771537

If you don't like any Bowie, you just don't like music.
>>
>>60771537
He made some really good pop songs and didn't completely rely on boring riffs to make a song. At least that's why I like him, I'm not a huge fan though
>>
>>60763150
What's with /mu/'s boner for this album? It's not that great.
>>
>>60770951
The most experimental song in bowie's discography in terms of music theory, and not "I didn't expect that noise from a rocker. " is Dancing Out In Space. Truth.
>>
>>60763609
Are we thinking of the same David Bowie?
>>
Lodger is a work of genius and is better at outlining themes regarding identity, globalization, and fatalism, not to mention that it does so sonically as well as lyrically, which Ziggy did not. It helped Bowie espouse a superior aesthetic to that cheesy spaceshit too.

You niggas ignorant.
>>
>>60771898
this

only the instrumentals are good
>>
>>60772287

Lodger was definitely Bowie pulling the reigns in at the end of that Berlin phase, obviously he was keen to avoid being formulaic which a third Low would have been, after the similar Heroes.

You're correct that it is an underrated album, especially considering how influential it was for the 80s sound, being one of if not the first example of "world music" fusion. Which would be an important sound during the 80s for artists such as Paul Simon and Sting, as well as for african american music.
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.