[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
i want to make music. i have no idea where to start though. i
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3
File: liz.png (178 KB, 500x461) Image search: [Google]
liz.png
178 KB, 500x461
i want to make music. i have no idea where to start though. i played a bunch of instruments when i was younger but i'm 22 and haven't done anything in years. where do i even start again? my favorite artist is grouper and i listen to mostly stuff in that realm, but i have no idea what kind of equipment i would need or how to learn to use it.
>>
figure what instrument and genre, and hire a teacher. can you afford it? do you have the space? too old to feel comfortable? i dunno, but a teacher is the way to go to restart your instrument game.
>>
>>60755266
i don't feel too old, i don't want to be a "musician" or be in a band or anything i just want to make stuff cause listening to music feels good so it seems like making it would feel good. idk what instrument guess i should try and learn guitar again? here's my last.fm if that would help: http://www.last.fm/user/lakaii738. i also don't know much about music so i wonder if i should learn more/listen to more before even trying to make anything.
>>
>22

might as well be middle aged. kill yourself my man
>>
>>60755367
so if you jump into it too quick you won't realize how shitty you are at music and will think it sounds good even though it's not. i played the drums, and you wouldn't believe how many auditions where lead guitarists would just start strumming the worst shit. listen to more music first than make up your mind. don't be that craigslist peon who acts like he can play and just is total shit. it's a guitar thing too, so be wary of that.
>>
>>60755220
>22

just get a job, pay your bills, consume and die already m8
>>
>>60755220
Pick up an instrument, get lessons, or teach yourself if u can, and do what feels right.
>>
>>60755700
>>60755589
Fuck u guys, making music is a beautiful thing.
>>
>>60755220
>my favorite artist is grouper and i listen to mostly stuff in that realm, but i have no idea what kind of equipment i would need or how to learn to use it.

Not hard to make music like grouper does desu.
>>
>>60755725
shut up old man
>>
22 is too old to start writing music. The brain works in weird ways, and the connections it makes early in development stay with you for the rest of your life.
So you're going to have a lot of trouble carving out those neurons.
>>
>>60755741
Dr. Peon is here!
>>
File: Bowiepop2.jpg (48 KB, 450x319) Image search: [Google]
Bowiepop2.jpg
48 KB, 450x319
>all this trolling

Anyways, OP get a guitar and a way to record whether it be a $20 cassette deck and a microphone or a DAW and just start playing and making shitty demos. Then it's just a matter of doing it over and over and over again until you either fall in love with it or quit.
>>
>>60755787
Name one successful musician who started writing music at 22.
I thought that all musicians write juvenile shit when they're juvenile, and mature their music as they get older. So what's the starting point when you're 22? It'll be way easier to give up since he's 22 and probably knows what he likes, as opposed to just rolling with it when you're 14. Being young makes things way easier, you're less hard on yourself and it's good to start when your brain is developing, not when it stops developing.
>>
>>60755884
the Dr makes a convincing case, although actual case studies easily found on google would bolster his claim, evidence my dear peon, evidence...
>>
>>60755220
>grouper
Learn their songs. They're simple and easy to learn, so a good starting point. Learning songs for any instrument is pretty much crucial if you wanna stick with it. If you just learn technique and rarely ever apply those techniques, it's easy to quit. Don't learn a technique or any theory you won't use immediately.

If you're into lyrics, then write stream-of-consciousness poetry. Although, you shouldn't expect that poetry to actually be on par with any famous poets, old or contemporary.

>equipment
start simple with the basics and add one thing at a time when you realize you're missing something
like a midi keyboard or a cheap to mid-level guitar or bass, since they give you the ability to use multiple voices and create a more full sound (as opposed to single-voiced instruments like saxophone, flute, etc.)

good luck anon

also, really loving Grouper
never listened to her before and it's just what I needed
thanks anon
>>
File: leonard-cohen.jpg (72 KB, 292x282) Image search: [Google]
leonard-cohen.jpg
72 KB, 292x282
>>60755884
>>
oh and to elaborate on the poetry thing, I find that stream-of-consciousness poetry that doesn't always rhyme makes for good material to sift through and put into rhyming lyrics
the more you write, the more gems come out of the poetry that you can put into songs
although, that means you'll be writing a lot of stuff you don't like
but writing at all is vastly better than not writing, and it's easy to get writer's block when you're so focused on writing "good songs"
plus, the more you write, the easier it gets to write songs
>>
>>60755884
That's for more technical things than abstract things. Learning a language is easier when you're young because a) learning a language requires a lot of memorization and b) the language section of the brain is less developed. There is no "music" section of the brain, and OP says he played music when he was younger so he probably understand sheet music. Think of it more like writing. Plenty of writers get started later in life and do just fine.
>>
>>60755589
:(

>>60755652
yeah i agree I really need to expand what I listen to and learn more

>>60755700
have a job & pay my bills. what am i supposed to do in my free time? right now it's listen to music and read books. would like to do more fulfilling things though.

>>60755725
thank u ur beautiful

>>60755741
I've questioned this is well. I can't go back in time though

>>60755805
I have a few guitars a keyboard and a mini synth. il looking into that recording stuff thanks!

>>60756015
thank you. I can play a few of her songs on guitar (not very well). glad you like her! listen to water people ep whenever you get a chance.

>>60756085
have never really written poetry/lyrics. pretty daunting to me

>>60756146
played piano, saxophone, cello, guitar growing up. can read & write music and have taken music theory classes etc. I just stopped for a few years and the idea of starting again is pretty overwhelming. if I could just make mess around and make shitty ambient/folk/drone/post rock whatever music for fun I'd be really happy
>>
>>60756668
I'm kinda in a similar boat as you. I play guitar and I write metal songs all the time for a band I'm in, but its definitely not what i want to do forever. Writing metal is very different than writing anything else. It's just a matter of playing fast and loud. I'm a big fan of Grouper and similar style bands like Chelsea Wolfe, or Emma Ruth Rundle. I would love to write that kind of stuff but I have no idea where to start. I'm not a good singer when it comes to anything other than screaming gay metal vocals. Its all very daunting but i feel if i dont do it ill prob just kill myself.
>>
>>60756668
You're on the right track. Keep asking questions and just try to practice and makes stuff every day, even if it's just a little bit at a time
>>
>>60755220
you can email liz at repeatingpatterns.com

ask her what you should do to start out, she's really friendly
>>
Well, you need to pick up an instrument or start training your voice. Once you have picked one out, find some resources on how to get started on technique. Once you have the physical ability to play without constantly fumbling, you just start writing alongside your learning.

Say you play piano and only know about major chords and major scale, you just record yourself playing a chord progression, then improvise over it and play around. Once you get more of a sense for songwriting, maybe you come up with an introductory and a conclusion sequence. You just keep building and playing and listening and learning and trying.

If what you are looking for is a resource to start, your best choices are either a teacher or some kind of literature supplemented by finding audial demonstrations of what you are trying to learn.
>>
>>60756668
>never written poetry/lyrics
that's why you should start writing stream-of-consciousness
it's pretty much the easiest form there is
no rhyming necessary
just words that express what's on your mind
you could also just write what's on your mind in straight prose
if all the 15 year old tumblr girls can do it
so can you

here's something simple I wrote 3 years ago when I first started out:
She stands there, poised in a pretty dress,
paper in her hands, the world on its toes,
speaking to a field of towers
as she cries for the grass to grow.
Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.