[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What does listening to music actually do to benefit your life?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3
File: tumblr_n8b4w8sq731slixf5o1_500.png (154 KB, 456x503) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n8b4w8sq731slixf5o1_500.png
154 KB, 456x503
What does listening to music actually do to benefit your life? They say that if you want to be more intelligent then you should read a book. When you listen to music, it doesn't even help me with my emotions, I just keep being sad but feel sort of comforted by the music I listen to. Is that all that music is good for is comforting you and giving you a friend or making you feel good? There has to be something you can gain in the long run from music.
>>
here is a novel concept. have you ever heard of the adage "practice makes perfect"? you can listen to people who are good at whatever musical genre you want to specialize in and become a player in that industry, like watching MJ highlights as a basketball player. listen repeat, try and copy their style, what they do, if they play an instrument, sing, rap, make stupid noises that aren't really music, etc. whatever it is, to answer your question, you assume everyone just listens passively. some want to have their life revolve around it so they consume as much as possible.
>>
File: 1437553878800.jpg (22 KB, 412x411) Image search: [Google]
1437553878800.jpg
22 KB, 412x411
in the end music is just a luxury, used by the man to keep the drone workers happy.

The real question is what do these dubs actually do to benefit your life?
>>
it must alter they way your brain function, although in minor ways, and that's kind of cool.
>>
>>60754347

Actually, music, and art in general has helped me a lot with my emotions. particularly about finding out what i think is beautiful and what makes me happy, and works as a reminder which helps me push toward whatever goal it is that i believe will bring me closer to said beauty/happiness.
>>
>>60754347
It's one of the pleasures of life, it is in itself a benefit to your life.
>>
>>60754489
hey lets just fuse this bitch up all nice and neatly. since this is an anime forum originally, i assume you all have seen akira, or know about what it is. those drugs they take, those amphetamine frontal lobe altering drugs they become obsessed with and gain powers from, is now available. adderall is small fries, my doc asked, being connected to a lab in Massachusetts, and i said fine 6 years back and am on a modified version of the stimulant dextroamphetamine, it's stronger, more powerful, and gives you more than you can believe. mix that with the feels of music, and use it to become musician and bada bing bada bang now am very good singer and rapper. the world is changing in more ways than just shitty. get on the train with me and all of you can evolve quicker. not even saying it as if i am more of a gentlemen or in that vein at all. I mean use something that allows you to focus your mind, body, and spirit on one thing, whether it be music or not, and you'll see why i post seemingly crazy shit. get on the trolley boys and girls, or not. either way.
>>
the lab is not massachussets, sorry, its in Virginia, it's called New River Pharmaceuticals, it's in Radford. Be a guinea pig and see what happens.
>>
no lie no lie no lie, i am being nice, stop being baby taboo bitches. what does your nerdy ass have to lose by trying something that may turn you into something different? stop thinking the world is so black and white. open up. for music fans you all have very little imagination or acceptance of alternate ideas.
>>
It helps to have a common ground with other people.
It helps to boost your creativity.
It helps to make yourself feel better.
>>
>>60755992
yeah i like your post best, concise, true dat, and funny name.
>>
>>60754347
>>60754489
>>60754539
>>60754609
>>60755992
To read and appreciate those books, you have to study grammar and syntax and be reasonably educated on how authors use writing techniques to achieve a narrative goal.

Similar with music: if you don't know music theory, then you're just having gibberish pass through, mindlessly.

The problem is you, not music.
>>
>>60756084
Friendly reminder that western classical music theory is one of the many possible ways of analyzing music. Therefore, it's not essential to learn that specific theory, as long as you are aware of other tools for analyzing music.
>>
>>60756084
AHHHHH SNAP, well done anon, bringing in some sound logic on that nigga, BABOW, in OP's stupid music hating face. what a faggot.
>>
File: hack.png (309 KB, 1415x2801) Image search: [Google]
hack.png
309 KB, 1415x2801
>>60756136
Friendly reminder that you don't know what you're talking about.
>>
good art and participating in good art (by looking at/listening to/reading it, etc) has the capability to reveal something intrinsically true about the world or about the human condition and help you to live a better life

music is strange in that while it is possible for it to fall under "good art" it has become an almost entirely commercial venture, so it tends contains more purely aesthetic appeal than anything else
>>
>>60756172
Friendly reminder that making a mistake during an argument doesn't invalidate the poster's opinion in anything other than the argument itself.
>>
>>60756084
You don't need to know the endlish word for tree to know what a tree is. You don't have to know the word beauty and it's definition to know what beauty is. In western society especially we think that things ARE the linguistic definition, rather than the essense of what they are, in turn we lose sight of some of the essense. A tree is just a tree, but through art and poetry we manipulate language, sound and imagery to convey essence which is lost in conventional linguistics, you don't need to know what a sequence of notes is called to experience them.
>>
>>60754347
If all you do is listen to music, there's your problem. Pick up an instrument and listen to these anons:
>>60755992
>>60756257

Also, there are tons of studies out there that suggest playing music stimulates multiple sections of the brain simultaneously, boosting neurogenesis, making it easier to focus on other subjects and making it easier to learn new things.

Also, there's the concept of peak-experience which humanist Carl Rogers said is a phenomenon of self-actualization that occurs when people sort of "get lost" in creating things, and I think "creating" also includes performing.
>>
>>60756472
The Rogerian peak-experience as you describe it kind of reminds me of Bernard Lonergan's idea of patterns of consciousness, wherein your mind acts differently when you're doing different kinds of activities. In particular he says participating in art is a sort of freeing (similar to losing oneself in a sense) from everyday life, allowing for a purely experiential pattern through which we can perceive important things about ourselves and our nature.
>>
There is something to music. Walt Whitman, "I saw a white mountain, I throw my fancies on it."

Music is an opportunity for your creativity to run wild. A good artists write of his self, but if done correctly it will be a song of hisself, myself, and everyone's self.

Music is an opportunity for us to sees ourselves in it. Dante's Inferno was basically Dante's mid life crisis, but he wrote it out in such a way that many people could connect to it.

Basically, music is an extension of our inner genius, and creativity. And by those means, music is an extension of the universe in which we are all interconnected.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.