[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
any /Ableton/ here?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: Ableton.png (7 KB, 332x87) Image search: [Google]
Ableton.png
7 KB, 332x87
any /Ableton/ here?
>>
yeh son
just finished butchering a track
what you up to
>>
>>60752974
>just finished butchering a track

that's cool. what genre? how long you been doing this?
>>
>>60752952
How easy is step-sequencing in Ableton?

I've been using FL Studio and REAPER for the better part of the last decade, but I had a brain hemorrhage a few months ago and found out last week I've lost all knowledge on how to work either of them.

I like FL, but I think my newest duo project will be performing live a bit. Wondering if I should relearn using Ableton instead. Thoughts?
>>
>>60753251
>How easy is step-sequencing in Ableton?

I don't know. I don't use step sequencers. You can use a VST like Chtulu and there's a lot of step sequencer devices that you can download on maxforlive.com.

Never used them though so I don't know if they're any good.
>>
>>60753370
The FL workflow always worked really well for me. Main thing drawing me to Ableton is I imagine it'd be more flexible live.

I pretty much have to learn from scratch again. I was in FL this morning and realised I couldn't even remember how to automate parameter changes. It's doing my head in.
>>
>>60753466
>The FL workflow always worked really well for me. Main thing drawing me to Ableton is I imagine it'd be more flexible live.

FL is pretty cool. Lots of shit I'm jealous of FL like the piano roll. I'm too used to Ableton to switch though. Been using it everyday for 5 years. You just can't make a switch like that.
>>
>>60753566
Yeah I totally understand. That's why I'm asking around before I recommit. I'm trying to put a positive light on everything I've experienced since the hemorrhage.

In this case it's a rare opportunity to learn a new DAW without any real moments of, "oh FL did it x". It's hard to explain, but I've just lost it all. It's really hard to deal with at the moment.

Would watching some videos of Ableton being used in the studio and live help? I really like how in FL I can come up with a quick melody or chord progression and just layer it up with sequenced drums and what not.

How does the general flow of Ableton compare?

Also if you have much experience with it, how does Ableton handle real instruments? I seem to remember FL was a bit clunky in that respect...
>>
>>60753662

Well I've never used FL so I can't really know for sure of the flow compares. I just know what I've seen in videos. I've watched hundreds of hours of people making tracks in FL.

As for far as a quick progression, melody and drums, you can easily do that in Ableton. Probably quicker than FL. The piano roll in Ableton kinda looks like a sequencer when it's in drum rack mode. Ableton's made to work quick.

The difference in speed between using a sequencer and piano roll for drums is pretty insignificant unless you get into really intricate stuff that the FL drum sequencer can't even do anyway.

imo Ableton works fine for recording one track at a time, but I never used anything else so I can't compare. I can just plug any mic and start recording in 2 seconds. Not sure what I could want more.
>>
>>60752952
Who /Ableton and Max/MSP/ here?
>>
>>60753784
Thanks for the info. I'll sleep on it and watch some videos.

Most of my instrument recording is three mics (two work together), a direct signal, and a direct processed signal. So 5/7 tracks. Depends if the latter two are mono it stereo.
>>
Why is every DAW impossible to use apart from garageband? Why can't they all be as obvious and natural feeling? Is Logic basically garageband with all the features of ableton? I wanna download another DAW that I aint feelin.
>>
>>60753898
Ableton is basically GarageBand in ots design
Hell, it's probably even a little bit easier, to be quite honest. The recording function is practically identical, adding and modifying audio and MIDI effects are substantially easier, etc. There is a degree of difficulty with MIDI instruments and automation, but those should be easy enough to figure out
>>
>>60753898

imo logic and garage band are inferior DAWs that failed to evolve and keep up with the times and modern DAWs like Ableton, FL, and Cubase.

Only reason to use Logic is because you're so used to it you can't switch. Logic's workflow is slow and painful to watch and so limited.
>>
File: Abletown.png (208 KB, 1280x1024) Image search: [Google]
Abletown.png
208 KB, 1280x1024
So I use Abletown and I used FL a few times way back, and I fancy I know my way around a DAW.

Let's compare the two. In FL, I couldn't make a simple beat after trying for an hour, and even on separate days I had trouble making anything that could be considered a structured song. In Live, I made a complete song in about 6 hours the first time I ever opened the program.

My verdict? I'm retarded and couldn't figure out FL.

Also M4L is pretty sweet, experimental things are super fun. Too bad I can't program for shit.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.