[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Want to get into jazz
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7
File: miles-davis.jpg (29 KB, 306x306) Image search: [Google]
miles-davis.jpg
29 KB, 306x306
What should i listen to if i want to get into jazz? What are the best albums?
>>
>>60748787
Kind of Blue - Miles Davis

Everything else is just trying to copy it, so don't bother with it senpai
>>
>>60748787
http://www.scaruffi.com/jazz/best100.html
>>
Honestly, start with local jazz radio and find what you like from there. That's how I started. Radio is shit except for public jazz radio.
>>
File: Song of Innocence.jpg (199 KB, 440x440) Image search: [Google]
Song of Innocence.jpg
199 KB, 440x440
It's more orchestral jazz rock fusion than straight jazz, but it's very accessible and enjoyable.
>>
herbie hancock will br imporatant
>>
A good way to "get" what jazz is about is actually through Miles' Kind of Blue, particularly in the saxophone solos of Cannonball Adderley and John Coltrane, and Miles' trumpet solos.

Rather than paying attention to how the music "sounds" as you would with pop music, you're going to need to listen to what each of the three soloists are playing in the entire sequence. There's a bit of a storytelling aspect here, in that their solos are complete thoughts that go in directions, initiate conflicts, and resolve.

So what you need to do is listen to the three players and not only pay attention to their solos in sequence, but compare the way the three of them play. One of the reasons Kind of Blue is hailed as a masterpiece is because the three soloists have very different styles.

The second track, Freddie Freeloader, is a great example of this. Wynton Kelly plays a very memorable and fun blues piano solo. Miles experiments a lot with repetition, unusual timings long and short pauses, and subtle variations on chords. John Coltrane proceeds to play in a radical and aggressive style that completely covers the entire range of his instrument. Then Adderley plays something very complex melodically, that draws on classical romantic musics as much as it does the blues.

So you need to learn to really get into the players to understand jazz, is what I'm saying. Finding good jazz to listen to is the easy part.
>>
File: 1446615295944.jpg (2 MB, 2160x4185) Image search: [Google]
1446615295944.jpg
2 MB, 2160x4185
this is a nice enough start

>>60748833
>scaruffi
do you want to be taken seriously?

>>60748822
bait

>>60748850
is there a lot of jazz radio out there? the only one in my state is fucking smooth jazz/instrumental pop, gay ass shit
>>
>>60748787
Jazz is exciting man because there is SO MUCH SHIT. Ranging from: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iBnJXT4bzG8
to: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z4PKzz81m5c
>>
>>60748919
listen to this man

also, play a fucking instrument or don't bother trying to get into jazz at all
>>
if you don't actively continue learning how music works, you'll end up with "jazz" instead of actual jazz
>>
>>60749626
>>60749641
Jazz is so much more interesting, impressive, and engaging when you start to develop an understanding for chord structure and when you can follow the form.
>>
There was a pretty good /r/music post on reddit about this a few weeks ago if you're interested.

https://www.reddit.com/r/Music/comments/3t4u0q/for_all_the_jazz_listeners_what_are_the_absolute/
>>
>>60749700
what is wrong with you
>>
File: 596.jpg (46 KB, 500x672) Image search: [Google]
596.jpg
46 KB, 500x672
>>
>>60748936
I find that college radio tends to have jazz programs. I also have a station in my area that plays classical in the day and jazz in the night.
>>
>>60749718
This
>>
File: 145388375769.png (318 KB, 752x528) Image search: [Google]
145388375769.png
318 KB, 752x528
>>60749700
>r/music
>>
File: DOGEWOWVERY.png (983 KB, 720x720) Image search: [Google]
DOGEWOWVERY.png
983 KB, 720x720
>>60749718
>I didn't even look at the link
There's some great suggestions for a newcomer but you're too scared of le leddit boogeyman to understand that
>>
>>60749793
I did you nigger, the most upniggered answer was a love supreme, then chet baker. wtf also the chart in >>60748936 is all you really need
>>
File: 45102-Fml.png (28 KB, 500x173) Image search: [Google]
45102-Fml.png
28 KB, 500x173
>>60748850
>tfw public jazz radio where i live shares time with movie soundtracks
>>
You stupid faggots, stop arguing about Reddit and talk about jazz. The threads we have are too sparse to waste posts on dumb shit.

Anyway, can anyone rec me some more hip-hop-based jazz? I've been really digging Robert Glasper, Roy Hargrove, and Esperanza Spalding. Maybe Trombone Shorty too, but I'd call him more of a funk guy.
>inb4 BBNG
>>
>>60748919
>Wynton Kelly plays a very memorable and fun blues piano solo.

I don't know much about it but I thought Bill Evans played piano on Kind of Blue?
>>
What's going on with jazz in the last 5-10 years or so?
>>
If you're trying to get into jazz don't start with the classics imo
You might really enjoy Snarky Puppy or Hiromi and find out you're really into jazz fusion and so Kind of Blue would be a stupid place to start for you. You might really dig avant-garde jazz or spiritual jazz, so Duke Ellington would definitely be a horrible place to start for you.

From this year, listen to:

Bill Laurance - Swift
Tigran Hamasyan - Luys i Luso
Vijay Iyer Trio - Break Stuff
Omer Klein - Fearless Friday
Kenny Wheeler - Songs for Quintet
Christian Scott - Stretch Music
Mark Guiliana Jazz Quartet - Family First
Makaya McCraven - In the Moment
Michael Wollny - Nachtfahrten

These are all albums from 2015 alone that I've enjoyed and there's enough diversity in there for you to really figure out what you're into and then go backwards from there. Pretty much all these artists have released other albums within the past five years as well.
>>
>>60750037
>talk about jazz
> hip-hop-based jazz?
kill yourself irl not even joking literally do it
>>60750765
Freddie Freeloader is the one track on the recording featuring Kelly on piano. You can tell if you pay attention that it's obviously not Evans. Davis really is a genius for putting the right people in the right places, because Kelly's jaunty solo really makes that track, which is saying something considering how much I love Freddie Freeloader

>>60750816
jazz has been going through some crazy prism refractions since 1970.

todays jazz musicians are more talented technically than ever before, I think, although prodigious has become so common that greatness means less, or that there is a different kind of greatness that is lacking, or maybe that the idea of greatness is lost

check out Cuong Vu is what I'm trying to say.
>>
>>60750936
>kill yourself irl not even joking literally do it
>being an elitist
everything has its place under the sun, anon
Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.