[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
why is future bass so shitty? is there anything positive worth
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4
File: maxresdefault.jpg (158 KB, 1280x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
158 KB, 1280x720
why is future bass so shitty?
is there anything positive worth noting in the genre?
i haven't listened to a ton of it but it seems like an adhd teenagers summer fantasy.
nothing but poppy 808-tier synths and constant random vocal slices, all wrapped in a childish self-conscious shell. i feel like there is something of worth in the genre, but its so specific that you can't really think outside of the box and still be 'future bass.' also it makes me gag just thinking abotu the genre. maybe i just need to listen to more of it, and find some aspect to appreciate? it seems like there isn't enough depth to it to even start to dig deeper into it.
>>
>>60748734
>808-tier synths

The 808 is a drum machine
>>
because its made by edm kiddies
>>
>>60748734
It's okay to not like a genre, anon.
>>
>>60748756
i'm talking about the 808 sound you dork.
punchy with a tail. that's it. not much room for tail in future bass, tho.
>>
its like vaporwave or nightcore or any other shit genre that's based on "aesthetics" more than music
>>
>>60748775
but i want to like it. i can sit down and listen to it and appreciate the technicality, but it's one of those genres where you need to make the track fit into it, rather than finding a genre to fit your track. i don't know what to look for in it, because it all sounds the same, has the same goals, with the same structure and sounds.
>>
>>60748779
Do you mean 303 sound?

I think you have no idea what you're talking about tbqh senpai
>>
>>60748817
i can appreciate some vaporwave, though. it's a unique sound. but i agree with you. nightcore to me sits in the same pool as future bass, where there's absolutely nothing new that can be done to it because of how specific the sound is, and how there's no room for unique sounds to play out. the core of the problem might be how fast it is, but if you slow it down, it's no longer the same genre. in some ways, future bass is just a nightcore version of some other genres, i guess.
>>
>>60748849
have you ever heard an 808 kick?
feel free to school me.
>>
>>60748849
by 808 i meant more the overall design. you're probably right.
>>
>>60748885
Are you relating the envelope of an 808 kick to a a synth sound?
>>
>>60748950
basically? i probably shouldn't have used 808 to describe it, but the punchy head is what i had in mind. 303 synths are far more sustained than what i'm thinking of.
>>
>>60748847
I suggest you find a different genre to like then because future bass is on the same level quality-wise as all the other YouTube trap made by 15 year old rappers who are struggling to make it in the game and would really appreciate if you checked out their freestyles and gave them a chance.
>>
>>60748984
this to be quite honest
>>
>>60748984
yeah, i'm not trying to justify it. just trying to get a better understanding and maybe an appreciation of it. everything about future bass so far just makes me sick, and the fact that it's so hugely popular now is ridiculous. the people who listen to it are pretty unbearable, too.

thanks for easing my mind on this
>>
>>60749035
just listen to /bleep/ stuff family
>>
>>60748982
303 are just generally used that way, not the only sound. 808 kicks are variable too, in terms of 'trails'.

Don't try talk smack about sounds when you don't know the gear breh.
>>
>>60748734
>>60748765
>>60748984
I'm curious to hear what you guys are listening to, because the majority of the 'future bass' I've listened to has actually been really impressive in terms of production. Way, way better than vocaloid and soundcloud trap and other stuff that's mostly made by kids.
>>
>>60749035
There's nothing to appreciate, it's just music to be played in clubs and in the background of pewdiepie videos, just like electro-swing.

There's plenty of good techno but future bass is not it.
>>
>>60749070
Granted I don't care enough about it to listen to a lot, but the majority of stuff that I've seen on YouTube or that this über plen I know has shown me is just bland edm that really doesn't have any substance to warrant making a whole new genre out of it.
>>
>>60749070
i googled 'future bass' and this was the first youtube result: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rI-t2M0t63s
this is 'chill' in comparison to the adhd soundcloud candy pop ass vomit i'm thinking of, but i don't have any good samples on hand.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIx46qOjjAM
i guess there's a reason its all on Monstercat
>>
>>60749070
are you sure you arent just listening to bass music, not future bass?
>>
>>60749064
yeah, sorry about that cowboy. i'm not as big on sound design buzzwords as i'd like to be.
>>
>>60749211
>buzzwords

kek, you're funny my nigs
>>
>>60749182
as far as i'm concerned, all EDM is garbage, because to be danceable you have to be predictable. furthermore, i'd like to compare 'juke' to future bass: https://soundcloud.com/addisongroove/headhunter-juke-mix-december-2009
in that it's got some of the same goals in mind, but it's not coated in pop rock. it's also designed to be danceable; look up juke footwork.
>>
>>60749271
would you rather i said terminology? buzzword in itself is a buzzword, so it's kind of funny to use that way.
>>
>>60749305
i know what juke is senpai, but for all music to be labelled within genres there has to be some sort of identifiable/predictable feature
if youre talking about the generic monstercat type EDM then i agree with you, but there are heaps of great dance music genres e.g techno, house, juke as you mentioned
>>
>>60749175
Yeah, I wasn't listening to this. These tracks are more or less alright, but yeah most of the stuff said in this thread probably applies.

>>60749182
I've had some japanese internet friends I made through producing and sharing that started making this stuff and ended up getting really popular. Their music is pretty technically impressive for what it is, way better than anything I could do.

>>60749145
Maybe not. The tropes are pretty recognizable, but that's also because it seems like a lot of it is the same thing.

Well anyways, I think it's safe to say that this is better than nightcore or bad vaporwave or like shitty porter robinson brand EDM.

>>60749305
>as far as i'm concerned, all EDM is garbage, because to be danceable you have to be predictable
This isn't banging out rhythms on drums or something, anon. EDM artists are free to build tracks with any level of detail and craftsmanship, the problem is that lots of time they make it skin deep and people eat it up not knowing the difference. Talented producers with a good ear could in theory make great EDM, but often those guys are off doing other stuff. Still though, there are plenty of really good artists that kinda border the EDM genre. Usually they get called tech house or deep house or something stupid like that, but the rhythms are unmistakably 4 to the floor.
>>
>>60749324
>buzzword in itself is a buzzword
Whoah.

But, yeah. Saying '808-tier synths' makes no sense, because an 808 is a drum machine. Trying to relate the sound of an 808 Kick to a synth sound is pretty abstract and again, makes no real sense, especially because you can control the decay of it, which is probably what you meant by trails.
>>
>>60748734
EDM is the most subjective form of music. So you literally just verbally diarrhea'd into a post with nonsensical drivel.
>>
>>60749372
i don't listen to EDM, but i can agree there's plenty out there that's worth listening to. EDM on the surface is just cookie cutter monstercat stuff, which is what i was referring to.

>>60749403
i don't really see a lot in the house subgenres either, because the basic structure of it is defined by the genre. if i listened to more of it, i probably would be able to say something positive.

>>60749418
personally, 808 to me is specifically the bass type.

>>60749468
EDM has some very strict rules on how it should sound. being subjective doesn't mean a lot when the end result is always going to be boom crash untz untz
>>
>>60749305
but footwork is shit, you fucking prefresher
>>
>>60749518
i think it's hilarious to look at. pretty interesting dance and genre.
>>
>>60749527
Footwork is LITERALLY sped up trap
>>
>>60749552
its more focused on percussion than boom, and it also depends on what kind of trap you're talking about. i'd say they can't be compared so easily.
it kind of pulls from glitch hop or something of that sort, but has a more traditional structure, and minimalistic sound design.
>>
>>60749494
>EDM has some very strict rules on how it should sound.
Oh ok good to see you're literally retarded, makes this thread a bit more bearable. We should all be nice to the mentally disabled.
>>
>>60749585
spotted the pardner
>>
>>60749588
please explain? i'm ready and willing to be proven wrong.
>>
>>60749588
also: if we're using EDM as an umbrella term that includes virtually every electronic genre under the sun, like dnb. then yes, it was a completely retarded statement. if we mean specifically ELECTRONIC DANCE MUSIC aka house and 4 on the floor shit, then i hold my ground.
afaik there isn't a good term for strictly 'dance music' that isn't EDM
>>
>>60749609
EDM is an umbrella term for a fuckton of subgenres that all have their own unique sound. And you just said it has strict rules on how it should sound.

Electronic music in general has no rules, it's just given labels (subgenres) based on how it sounds, usually determined by BPM
>>
>>60749585
No, you're fucking retarded and don't know shit about footwork and juke.
Please just stop talking, you are embarassing yourself.
>>
>>60749494
>808 to me is specifically the bass type

This is using 808 as a buzzword without understanding what an 808 is, and just associating it with whatever you mean. This is nonsensical.
>>
File: 7rk895L.jpg (74 KB, 600x401) Image search: [Google]
7rk895L.jpg
74 KB, 600x401
>>60749685
Not him but honestly most people recognize 808s as a bass type, the hollow bassy sound you hear in Trap bangers.

Sure they don't know the ins and outs of the creation of it and w/e but it's a buzzword that just relates to a sound.
>>
>>60749660
good. i was wrong and you were right.
clarifying: i included dnb as i feel it's less designed for dance, and more for just groove if at all.

>>60749677
ok dad.

>>60749685
but its literally an 808 kick with the decay cranked up.
>>
>>60749713
>i included dnb as i feel it's less designed for dance, and more for just groove if at all.
JUST
STOP
POSTING
>>
>>60749713
please just keep to your guitar music threads
>>
>>60749729
ants in your pants?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UDwRgJhdxl4
PLEASE dance to this for me. i beg you.
>>
>>60749709
>>60749713
Except the 808 is basically an industry standard drum machine since the late 80's. Relating it back to trap is ridiculous.
>>
I remember the day this happened
>>
>>
>>60749755
yeah, bad on my part, but we were talking about a very modern type of music here. still should have been more specific and clarified, my bad.
is there anything else to call that type of bass besides '808 bass'?
>>
>>60749751
The basic pattern you want to focus on when dancing here is kick-snare kick-snare with a slight break between the first coupling and the second and a bit of syncopation.
You bounce down on the kick and up on the snare.
Add flavor as you like, throwing gunfingers are usually pretty good idea when you hear a banger like this.
>>
im not one to listen to edm very much but iirc most future bass is shit. i remember find some of grant bowtie's stuff to be decent though.
>>
>>60749802
thanks for the reasonable response. i still see it as something more to groove around to, rather than specific dance moves. but idk shit about dancing. i even brought up juke earlier, which is pretty ridiculous when it comes to dancing to it, but plenty possible.

>>60749807
me
>>
>>60749783
Are you talking about the basslines or the bass drum?

Again, relating percussive sounds to melodic sounds is abstract. In terms of the bass drum, alot of this has different clicky kick samples, different from an 808. This might have 808's under it though.
>>
"Future bass" or just future music, I believe is worth a shot. You're probably just not looking hard enough.

I would start people off with stuff like Maxo, Grynpyret, Diversa, KRNE, Tennyson, ABSRDST, Lindsay Lowend, Diveo, Jonah Baseball, Holly Waxwing.

It's difficult to start a dialogue when the only reason people know what it is (including OP) is because of fucking Monstercrap, but the guys above continually impress me.

t. I was a """ future""" producer for a year, with many many close friends in the scene.
>>
>>60749851
bass line. 808, as in the bass drum (what you took it as), is what caused the confusion.
>>
>>60749844
Yes, but footwork is shit.
>>
>>60749844
dancing isnt just limited to pumping your fist and jumping up and down to some festival house, you just gotta feel the music and move to it, in however fashion you see fit
go to a club and you'll notice half the people cant dance for shit in a technical sense, but they are all still moving and stuff to the music
>>
>>60749878
it's shit, yeah, but i find it hilarious. that's the value in it for me.
>>
>>60749876
The basslines vary. I dunno if I can pin down a sound that's consistent.
>>
What is "future bass"?
Is it like EDM grime?
>>
>>60749866
get out of here plorf
Thread replies: 64
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.