[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
is there any other album like pic related? is there anything
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2
File: image.png (159 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
159 KB, 300x300
is there any other album like pic related? is there anything else that blends blues, avant-garde, free jazz and other genres of American music, as well as atonality and polyrhythm vocals?

if there is, please share it here, I need more.
>>
>>60747442
Meshuggah - I
>>
>>60747474
that is not at all similar to trout mask replica.
>>
>>60747501
Has poly rhythems, close enough.
>>
>>60747442
Record yourself taking a shit and then add tons of reverb

That would sound a lot like this faggot record, as a matter of fact it would probably sound better
>>
>>60747501
you're looking for Exuma

he's much less rough but you'll enjoy
>>
>>60747474
actually this guy might be right...
>>
>>60747551
:^)
>>
I'm gonna take a leap and recommend you this band. Sax and really discordant guitars, the instrumental freak outs bring tears to my eyes. A virtuosic display of not giving a fuck.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fUoUvFHNPtY
>>
>>60747442

Check spock-core on archive
>>
>>60747702
Spock-core?
>>
>>60747554
Exuma is pretty fucking sweet but I don't think he's really much like TMR
>>
>>60747554
which album?
>>
File: folder.jpg (164 KB, 350x350) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
164 KB, 350x350
instrumental and a lot more repetitive, but follows the same idea
>>
>>60747442
quite a few

Tom Waits later catalog, specifically Swordfishtrombone, Rain Dogs, & Bone Machine, although Alice is his true masterpiece

John Zorn's 80s experiments have a lot of those elements. Try Spillaine and the Big Gundown

Eugene Chadbourne's discography has some good similarities. His band the Chadbournes is the most free jazzy, his band Shockabilly is generally country, and he's got a ton of collaborations from across the past three decades that cover a huge body of work.

There's a ton of free improvisation that touches upon the chaotic sound of TMR. Try Derek Bailey's album Yankees, the Marc Ribot Trio live at the Village Vanguard, and the ensemble the Shaking Ray Levis.

There's a bunch of radical progressive music heavily inspired by Beefheart. Check out Amy Denio's records (they're all fantastic so check out a good degree of her discography). The Band Zs uses his bizarre stop-start rhythms and extreme dissonances to craft long-form rock compositions. The band the Ambitious Lovers applied his avant-garde folk songwriting to a new wavey pop setting. And there's a band French, Frith, Kaiser, Thompson, with Fred Frith of Henry Cow and John French (Beefheart's drummer) who just in general took a lot from him.

There's a reason the album is consistently called incredibly influential. It's just that /mu/'s generally too pleb to know about the music it influenced.
Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.