[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
¿What's an easy and cheap way of achieving multitrack recording?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5
File: tascam-portastudio-144-24895.jpg (274 KB, 1600x1199) Image search: [Google]
tascam-portastudio-144-24895.jpg
274 KB, 1600x1199
¿What's an easy and cheap way of achieving multitrack recording? Like what you would get back in the day with a tascam portastudio, I want to be able to record many tracks at the same time.
>>
I use this
>>
>>60738213
Looks expensive
>>
what is multitrack recording ? What is it for ?

Do you have example of music with multitrack recording ?
>>
>>60738236
weak b8 man
>>
>>60738181
buy a tascam portstudio. honestly, if you're going the digital/computer route, a USB/firewire interface with 2 inputs will cost about as much as a low end 8 track recorder.
>>
>>60738234
for an 8 track it´s the cheapest you´ll get
>>
>>60738265
wait, i assumed by 'many tracks at the same time' you meant you want to record a live performance with multiple mics at once. if you just want to multitrack record on your computer by overdubbing, then something like an avid mbox or m-audio fastrack with 2 inputs will be fine
>>
>>60738236
this a joke post? almost all music you will ever hear is multitrack recording. I have met so many people irl who don't understand the concept.
>>
>>60738362
this is not true
most music is distributed in the stereo format and consists of two channels only
>>
>>60738415
>>
>>60738415
see
>>60738258
>>
File: 1442377119787.jpg (9 KB, 374x227) Image search: [Google]
1442377119787.jpg
9 KB, 374x227
>>60738415
>>
File: stupid.jpg (24 KB, 400x276) Image search: [Google]
stupid.jpg
24 KB, 400x276
>>60738438
>>60738460
>>60738485
>there are more than two channels of audio in a stereo recording
>>
>>60738511
now you're just contradicting yourself
>>
>>60738511
an audio channel doesn't = a track. a multitrack recording in stereo consists of tens or hundreds of tracks, panned into the left and right audio channels. it is then bounced down into a single stereo audio file.

now excuse me whilst i an hero to make up for taking your shitty bait
>>
I take a mixer table and record two channels panning one all to the right and other all to the left so i get two pure mono signals, i want to have more channels than only two mono, four would be right as i don't plan on recording a fucking orchestra
>>
>>60738644
nothing is bouncing around unless you use an autopanner and even then it is still stereo

there might be hundreds of sounds but they are all somewhere in the stereo field
>>
>>60738660
actually they usually only use 2-4 mics to record orchestras with maybe an extra if there is a solo piece
>>
>>60738660
the fuck you talking about? you want to record music in surround sound that only people with home cinemas can listen to?
>>
>>60738700
stereo is still more than one so even my your flawed logic its still multi
>>
>>60738741
damn...
>>
>>60738700
nobody said it wasn't m8
>>
Fuck it I just use a $100 stereo recorder and run mics/pedals into the thing then track over overdubs or shit like that.
>>
I had a 144 too, but it pretty much died so I bought a 644

If you're gonna stick with portastudios, don't get one of the midi ones, they're way too complicated.

Check out the 488, it's like the 424 but 8 tracks, or the Yamaha mt8x
>>
>>60738181
i bought a mixer for 25 dollars, it has 8 channels, i can route that stereophonically into any source. get educated and lurk around if you dont have the big benji's
>>
Depends on what your budget is/how many tracks you want, but you can get used Tascam portastudios for very reasonable prices on Ebay.
>>
>>60738511
We get it

You're retarded
>>
>>60738733
No, I want to record drums, bass, guitar and voice and then have four separated tracks (I do know that if I do this i will get sounds from the other instruments leaked in the final tracks)
>>
>>60738879
this is fine but it doesn't allow you to edit the tracks separately later in a DAW or something. but yea, its cheap to do
>>
>>60738924
yes, you will get bleed if all that is happening at once in the same room. this is ok though, a lot of old recordings have this.
>>
Tascam US-1200, up to 6 24/96 tracks at once into a DAW and you can record unlimited tracks and do whatever the fuck you want with them because it's a computer. Can be had for as low as $99, though I think average is $169
>>
>>60739116
Forgot to add, I and 3 of my friends all have these because they're so handy and great. Guitar Center has been carrying them recently.
>>
>>60739246
honestly how are the preamps on them? are they noisy? do they have a decent amount of gain?
>>
>>60738924
okay so why do you need the desk to have more than two audio channels? if you need to get each of the four tracks to a computer for mixing then you can just mute the other tracks whilst bouncing them
>>
>>60739540
to record all at once presumably. that or he could sing through the drum set and use the mics to play the bass
>>
I use an old Fostex X-18 thing that I got for about 20 bucks a couple years ago, and never looked back.
Works surprisingly well. Definitely going to upgrade in the future
>>
>>60739587
Oh, and if you want to achieve multi-track recording, record a demo of the song. Usually you start with the rhythm guitar or the main instrument of the song, and just build from there.
Once you know what you wanna do, once you notice the flaws and strengths in the demo, re-record it playing to them. It's recommended you record a metronome or drum machine on track 4 though.
>>
>>60739274
There's a tiny bit of hiss but honestly it's way less than what you inherently get with analog recording methods.
Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.