[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>This, basically
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: picc.png (65 KB, 371x448) Image search: [Google]
picc.png
65 KB, 371x448
>This, basically
>>
>>60731200
It's accepted fact that Scaruffi is a hack already

We've known this for a long time
>>
>>60731200
>"He disagrees with my opinion"
>"He obviously couldn't have listened to it, because my opinions are perfect, and it's impossible for someone to have different tastes than me and not be a complete hack"
Ok OP, have a nice life
>>
>the most important reviewer of all times
>not capable of hearing rarities
>>
>>60731264
You say this because you don't know the story behind those eps. :-)
Little hint: no one heard them.
>>
What if he's one of the very few in the world that has them?
>>
Scaruffi was the only critic to give The Downward Spiral an appropriate rating (8.5 - which from him is equivalent to about a 27.5/10 from other critics).

He's fine by me. I mean, he has a bias towards rock and jazz but he's admitted that's his thing. I could bitch about the scores he's given to Boards of Canada but I'm pretty sure a lot of the music he reviews just doesn't really appeal to him. I can accept that.

I accept a lot from anyone who uses a 1-10 rating system properly, where a 5 isn't bad but just dead average and a 7 is really good, just not remarkable. I don't think I've ever heard a legitimate "10" and I respect critics who acknowledge that if they feel the same way.
>>
>>60731272
>>the most important reviewer of all times
>>
>>60731311
It's a well known fact that those eps were released in an extremely limited edition and only friends and relatives listened to them. They are not even available on the internet.
>>
>>60731311
this, he's in with the elite of the music and film industry, he's even seen the new Star Wars already, rated it 4/10!
http://www.scaruffi.com/cinema/best15.html
>>
>>60731322

Wow. I typed all that out not even realizing that the image WAS BoC-related. I was just remarking on Geogaddi having a 7/10. On a side note, I'm glad he gave TH an appropriate score. Hype and elevating BoC to musical god status over the years had everyone too afraid it seems to call that mediocre record out for being a massive disappointment.

Anyways, I don't know if he's heard the old stuff, but you do realize that he's lifting words from the guy who used to run that old website that documented all the unreleased stuff (same guy who distributed some of the original 100 pressings of Twoism through the IDM list many, many years ago), correct?

He's also not rating any of those old releases. There are no descriptions he's using that are in line with what was already available from more than one source. ILOC7s, btw, is available to the public like a lot of old BoC tracks. The R35TT is full of old shit. Infinite Lines is track 08, cut down slightly.
>>
>>60731200
Man better know
>>
>>60731383
TH is great.
>>
>>60731311
I'd always thought that unlikely but knowing what he *does* have (fucking insanity, this guy's collection), I wouldn't put it past him. Most of the releases were given only to family/friends and yet, some have still leaked. I know one person from the twoism.org forum who has an actual copy of Old Tunes 1 in his collection. I don't even think it's the tape that one guy attempted to sell on eBay however many years back. That was likely a different copy. I also know one guy with one of the CD-Rs of their Peel Session that provided good scans of the artwork to discogs. Then there's the guy on YouTube that fake or not uploaded a track claiming to be from Play By Numbers with a good scan of the cover at a much higher resolution, staple mark on the side included.

I'm not going to assuming Scaruffi has any of these by default, but my point is that some of the Music70 releases have fallen into public hands. If some random anonymous who just spends way too much collecting BoC happens to have an Old Tunes tape that I'm sure he spent a stupid amount of money on of all people, why rule out someone like Scaruffi who spends his life obsessively trying to get nearly every fucking every notable piece of music in existence having copies of the tapes?
>>
>>60731200
Has anyone ever tried emailing him about this?
>>
File: bocsmokeweed.png (157 KB, 305x305) Image search: [Google]
bocsmokeweed.png
157 KB, 305x305
>>60731473

75% of it is pretty much one song. I think Sundown covers almost every single note those songs hit. I can layer a bunch of them together without them clashing (it's more fun to play around with rearranging and changing the album than it is listening to it). Between even more SH-101 wankery and that ugly, texture-less sound they have on half the tracks, there's about three things I like. Palace Posy is actually one of my favorite BoC tracks and deserves to be on a much better album. I mean, I've probably given it 500 listens now since its release. I tried really, REALLY hard to make myself like it. I can appreciate its whole soundtrack concept/theme but it comes at a cost. It's too uninspired for me to enjoy, probably should have been an EP at most. Cold Earth is painful. Sounds like BoC trying to sound like someone trying to sound like BoC. I really miss the sampler work that made Geogaddi so great and don't care for the arps past the first bit of the album.

So yeah, no hard feelings towards them (besides, it was going to take them time to get back into the studio and warmed up again after so long, their next will no doubt be better), I'm just not going to pretend to like it as it is.

For what it's worth though, I do really like the beginning of the album. Gemini through White Cyclosa (stronger without RFTD in there but whatever) form a really fantastic opening to an album that I never got to hear, because the momentum slams into a brick wall the moment Jacquard Causeway starts.
>>
>>60731569
Yup. He changes his email though so when I tried last he hadn't updated it to the current one and so the message never went through. I may try again...question had to do with Hooper Bay. I doubt he'd take the time to actually go dig up the tape if he did in fact have it.
>>
>>60731322
Why do people take rating systems so seriously?
>>
>>60731709

I have no idea. I actually don't, but that was kind of the point. I appreciate that if he's going to rate shit he rates it according to how he feels and not obligation. Ends up pissing people off who find it overly contentious (Beatles page springs to mind) but it's the people who actually get angry about album ratings that give critics any actual power to begin with.
>>
>>60731200
hasn't he admitted that he doesn't listen to them music and just wants someone to discover the music?

I mean, i don't even fucking believe Scruffy has consumed as much media as he has, much less review it properly.
>>
I enjoy Scaruffi's lists a lot, because it's brought to light some great musicians that I never would have found otherwise (e.g. Bill Laswell, Fred Chalenor's projects, Back Door, Denison-Kimball Trio, Ui, Birdsongs of the Mesozoic, Rake come to mind today), but I am 100% positive that he listens to many albums just once before assigning a rating. The sheer amount of albums on his site and his ultra-vague reviews, often relegating a sentence to an album with one or two barely relevant descriptors, are what really drives this thought home for me.
>>
>>60731859
I'd guess anything he rates eight or higher he's given a few listens at least, just to be sure.
But yeah, probably most of his sub sevens are a one shot affair.
That's why it's probably best to give his highly rated albums a try but also to not necessarily avoid his low rated albums.
>>
>>60731808
I know that he doesn't actually watch any of the movies he gives numbered scores to. He just reads reviews of people he likes and then bases his own opinions on that. He actually admits that on his movie pages.
>>
Scaruffi is the best contemporary critic: P4k is full of feminist swj poptimism, Allmusic is utter shit, Rolling Stones is a living meme. Christgau is a delusional dadrocker and The Needle Drop is too arbitrary to be considered good
>>60731859
I prefer those vague 2 sentences instead of a clusterfuck of buzzwords that have nothing to do with the album.
>>
>>60731493
Damn, if these people have these things why wouldn't they have ripped them?
Especially for the Peel Sessions CD-R, there's no FLAC of XYZ out there yet.
>>
>>60731859
Vampire Rodents, Lisa Germano, and Sandy Bull too.
>>
I was planning about doxxing the Sandison brothers and doing a witch hunt on Scotland.
Maybe if we all try to discover possible links to them we could find the tapes.
Ayy lmao
>>
>>60732087
>The Needle Drop is too arbitrary to be considered good
>too arbitrary

That's your main criticism with him?
>>
>>60732532
>TPAB 10
>just days after that, TPTB is released
>he gives it a 9 because 'hurr two 10 scores'
Nevermind that he loves def greapes, but he rated it a 9 just because he already gave a 10 that month
>>
>>60732573

I see what you mean, but considering that his reviews are just long boring descriptions without any depth, and considering his terrible meme humour, you're picking on his ratings?
>>
>>60731357
>>60731359
it's actually well known that scaruffi gets records earlier than most people
most of some of his reviews back in the day would come some days before the albums came out, because they were distributed to reviewers first
this was back in the day when people actually cared obviously. i wouldn't be surprised if he got a hand of those ep's via a friend of BoC that sent them to him
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.