[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Your thoughts on Resident Advisor's highest rated album
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4
File: sophieproduct.jpg (95 KB, 472x472) Image search: [Google]
sophieproduct.jpg
95 KB, 472x472
Your thoughts on Resident Advisor's highest rated album of 2015?

http://www.residentadvisor.net/review-view.aspx?id=18151
>>
>>60715046
RA just flushed the little credibility they have down the shitter
>>
honestly it's the most pretentious music i've ever heard
>>
>>60715046
But this album is trash
>>
>>60715146
>bouncy happy club music
>pretentious

jesus
>>
I'd rather listen to this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19HT0w1uW4A
>>
File: full.jpg (41 KB, 600x583) Image search: [Google]
full.jpg
41 KB, 600x583
I liked it
but the sound design still needs work. like the direct songwriting on goodbye

sophie is qt pic related
>>
i like it, it's really good pop music imo, but the whole agenda or statement behind it is so played out. okay, man this shit got explored thoroughly in the 60's and the whole culture jamming idea is old too. i get that it's sort of new to relate these ideals to pop music - especially with the new technology available - but subverting expectations with pop music has roots with the plunderphonics movement, particularly jon oswald's work. it's just not as revolutionary as everyone's making it out to be.

there's nothing wrong with making good old dance music and i don't think you need some tmt approved philosophy behind it to lend it credibility. i do like how mad people are getting tho tbqh lol

>>60715322
i'm the opposite of you. i think the sound design is out of this world, but the songwriting could be better
>>
>god tier
Hard
>great tier
L.O.V.E
Bipp
>okay tier
Vyzee
Just Like We Never Said Goodbye
Lemonade
>bad tier
Elle
>shit tier
MSMSMSM
>>
>those comments
>>
proangelwings gets it

someone get sophie in the studio with elysia crampton

just like get them in the studio for the ultra political dance music.. stsyatements.. the systems,... the corporation marxism.,.

dildo represents... repeerestnation of the systems of capitalistic socio anarchy culture socIO economics... economys of yhss stytem

u can just get like sophie to do a very controversial sexual cover maybe a three pronged dildo with rocket boosters and some post-internet branding (is putting MONSTER energy on tshirts still the in thing?) and elysia can write the essay in the album insert about w/e... then on the record for the ULTIMATE statement just make it like a blank record. no music at all.

no music. no life. the agency of the statement of cultural systematics
>>
>>60715046
Dank/meme
>>
>>60716877
Fire Andrew Ryce and hire proangelwings.
>>
>>60715884
This is completely right except Lemonade is god tier as well admit it
>>
>>60715884
>god tier
L.O.V.E.
Just Like We Never Said Goodbye
>great tier
Bipp
Hard
Vyzee
>okay tier
Lemonade
MSMSMSM
>bad tier
Elle
>>
there is a degree of effortlessness to those early singles that is admirable.
it's hard to deny how defly executed something like lemonade is. whether this slight of hand is attributable to sophie's chops or just naive, dumb luck only time will tell - or not really.

this music will, perhaps by design, age very poorly and because of that gambit it's very hard for anyone to judge its merit, right now or even in the near future.

as someone with an objectively accurate opinion that transcends time and space however, i can tell you that this is a solid 1.9/5
>>
>>60717898
lol
>>
rofl so progressive so SEX POSITIVE

guys my album cover is a double pronged & ribbed anal FUCKING anal fuck anal pussyfuck uGHHhghghgh sex culture yess fuck yes ohhh

what a statement

what a statement sophie what a steaetment, the .. muh .

culture... sex,, yea dude the sex fuckk uhh.. the agency... the culture..... that wherewithin the strucutres of societal institutionalized systems..
>>
>>60718978
you're lame if you thought any bit of that back and forth was funny
>>
>>60719055
ok
>>
>>60718978
Does proangel browse /mu/?
>>
>>60719097
probably. i like his shizuka avy and zany comments
>>
AOTY desu.
>>
>>60715211

not him but the pretentious part is the "MUH IRONY / MUH POP MUSIC COMMENTARY" that permeates it
>>
>>60715884
>>60717476
Vyzee is god tier lads
>>
>>60719320
seriously
>>
>>60719307
do you accept any kind of social commentary presented through music?
>>
>>60719353
ye
>>
>>60719357

no

however, the fact that this pseudo-deep drivel has to be brought up every time anyone talks about the "music" tells you a lot about the quality of the music itself
>>
>>60719392
are you comfortable with the fact that practically every piece of music that has ever been produced is an extension of an artist's belief system including, but not limited to, social commentary an criticism?

if you are aware of this, then surely you can separate the artist from the music. i get the feeling that you're saying this about sophie simply because you don't like the music.
>>
>>60719385
i was agreeing with you mate
>>
nightcore + le sound design dissonance and dynamics
>>
>>60719453
>are you comfortable with the fact that practically every piece of music that has ever been produced is an extension of an artist's belief system including, but not limited to, social commentary an criticism?

you are so fucking stupid, but the cute part is you think you're so smart

RA reviews plenty of 4/4 kick-hi-hat snare releases and all they will talk about is the production and the sound. The music is good, so whatever beliefs or "social commentary" the producer has is completely irrelevant

the fact that "MUH SOCIAL COMMENTARY" has to be brought in any PC music discussion tells you so much about the music itself. Absolute tripe that relies on 'irony' and uni freshman social studies
>>
/mu/ is so uncomfortable with anything slightly political or mildly polemic
>>
>>60719453
>the fact that practically every piece of music that has ever been produced is an extension of an artist's belief system including, but not limited to, social commentary an criticism?
kill yourself soon please
~~woW YOu're s0 enLigHtenED~~
no you're just an unbearable cretin
>>
>>60719554
that's your fault for caring about what review sites have to say. i've been listening to sophie for three years now and have only ever inferred their aesthetic from the music itself. sorry some nerd on a mediocre review site got your panties all in a wad.

>>60719561
i'm not saying i'm woke, dude. i'm just letting you know how obtuse you're being.

>>60719557
neo-/mu/
>>
>>60719557
i don't have an issue with it, it's just this "LOOK HOW CORPORATE POP MUSIC IS" critique has kind of been beaten to death.

that being said i really dig SOPHIE from a pure sound perspective.
>>
File: Untitled-1 (3).jpg (262 KB, 2670x2832) Image search: [Google]
Untitled-1 (3).jpg
262 KB, 2670x2832
>>60719638
>i've been listening to sophie for three years now
>>
>>60715146
No one loves it for how it supposedly speaks against the music industry. But I think it can be very impressive thematically, through the way it manages to be meta-linguistic without directly addressing it's medium and, through tone and production only, uses the listener's notions and cultural placement to enhance it beyond what you're listening. Also it's just bright and glossy as fuck. In those warped staccatos SOPHIE found the logical antithesis to Drone, cramming lots of information into one, uncluttered and digestible element. It is immediate and hyperbolic yet perfectly discernible, which creates a very dope sense of enhanced reality. I don't think there's any clear indication that the cynicism people project onto this creation was intended by the artist. To me it's more of a highly creative representation of the music industry than a criticism
>>
>boop boop boop
>beep beep beep
>wee wee wee
>pitch shifted vocals

10/10
>>
>>60719659
the concept of applying accelerationism to music is legitimately interesting
>>
File: not true.png (8 KB, 148x25) Image search: [Google]
not true.png
8 KB, 148x25
>>60720483
>>
>>60720092
the "isn't this a chipmunked version of a song we'd otherwise shrug our shoulders at" argument is pure shit
much of the music in the album is not even that extraordinarily high-pitched. Take Chandelier, Latch or Problem, and you'll see that the high pitches are just another way PC Music/ SOPHIE mirror and extrapolate pop conventions.
Instead of thinking in high vs low-pitched, think of sung in high pitches vs artificially elevated pitches. I think this highlights what effect the chipmunked vocals can pose more effectively
>>
I love this shit so fucking much, I'm sorry.
>>
>>60720596
i think often about retarded pop music when i can't sleep @ night too
>>
>>60720724
I'm right and you're wrong tho
>>
>>60720483
is SOPHIE successful in doing this though? look at the soundcloud comments, most people aren't really getting that, it's all "this bumps" - it's just becoming something that people are mindlessly consuming.
>>
I'll take whichever thread where I can spam this https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JDg80sgiB8A
This is among the best music of the year and places A.G. Cook as the bubblegum god
>>
>>60715046
It's great. It's hilarious how much bleep tards get offended by it as well.
>>
>>60715046

Isn't this just a compilation of singles?
>>
>>60721022
Well four of the tracks are new so it is half compilation/ half album I guess.
>>
>>60720859
as long as he's influencing mainstream pop artists to become more and more extreme, he's successful. and it's working so far considering who he's collaborated with and how much play his music has gotten in places like trendy clothes stores
>>
>>60715046
It's funny how negative all the commenters are. Also it's a great release, it's really funny all the /bleep/ idiots and average /mu/tant hate it, which just proves how great it is.
>>
why the heck do you guys hate sophie so much? his music is great. i don't think this is the best album this year, but it's still some really interesting and well-done conceptual pop music
>>
>>60721165
>>60721107

>hurrr if you hate it = must be good

neo /mu/ everyone
>>
>>60721279
No, if most people that hate it are idiots that only like 4/4 techno bangers and not much else aka /bleep/, then it is probably good.
>>
>>60721107
i suppose you're right. i just have my doubts, and i don't think it should be taken lightly that the music industry has the power to commandeer the whole thing and could probably easily sell it to the public and have it just as easily consumed, all while the political message goes unnoticed.
>>
>tfw listening to L.O.V.E. in sister's headphones with ridiculously obstructive levels of bass
hnngggg
>>
>>60715046
i actually thought PC music was considered dead in the water.
>>
>uhhhhhh durrrrrrrrrrrr techno sucks its not adhd enough for me
enjoy your happy meal, mong
>>
>>60721500
i'm willing to bet that there is significant overlap between those who listen to techno/house and those who listen to sophie casually
>>
>>60721542
specifically addressing retards here and on RA who go on about rants about how boring it is, even going so far as to call people misogynists for not liking adhd pop
>>
>>60721446
also
>it's the best of the newer tracks
>has the fewest likes on soundcloud
i am a pretentious faggot among pretentious faggots
>>
>>60721446
>tfw i'm in your sister while you are listening to meme music on her headphones
>>
>>60721595
It's really underrated, one of the best Sophie tracks for sure.
>>
>>60721598
Is that supposed to bother me?
>>
>>60721446
that's the best track on this album. i don't like listening to it as much as the others (for obvious reasons) but i love the message that it sends.

up until that track i wasn't sure what sophie was trying to do with his music. For the most part it sounded like innocent, whimsical pop music. But on the other hand, sometimes it sounded really evil and menacing, in an uncanny valley sort of way. I wasn't sure if the subtle dark undertones were intentional or not.

after hearing l.o.v.e. i was assured beyond the shadow of a doubt that sophie's music is in fact intentionally scary sounding.
>>
it's good
Thread replies: 68
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.