[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
2016 AOTY disussion thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7
File: AnCo2016avey.jpg (120 KB, 900x900) Image search: [Google]
AnCo2016avey.jpg
120 KB, 900x900
FLORI-HYPE HYPE

FLORI-HYPE HYPE
>>
FLORI FLORI FLORI FLORI
>>
SONGLE
OF
THE
YEAR
>>
Single of the year if you are a mindless fanboy and will eat up anything. It's literally a 6/10 song. Get over yourself. AnCo peaked a long time ago.
>>
File: Blackstar.png (1 MB, 1500x1000) Image search: [Google]
Blackstar.png
1 MB, 1500x1000
More excited to see Bowie crush these amateurs with his sparkling return to form
>>
>>60711723
As if

Anco is gonna outshine Bowie to the moon t b h

>>60711682
Epic post, m'friend! Have an upvote !!! xDDDDD ;3
>>
>>60711682
Why are you upset?
Let us enjoy the new songle desu
>>
>>60711682
see >>>/trash/
>>
>>60711682
I'd give it a strong 8-9 which is so nice since everything they've been putting outlately has been 7 and below for me
>>
>>60711723
father
>>
>>60711723
Excellent opinion right here.
>>
>>60711723
>Scott Walker wannabe

Nah I doubt he's gonna be crushing anyone. He's literally a copycat. Maybe that's his greatest asset. He can copy true artists and get away with it.

Also, I've heard multiple times he bummed a 14 year old girl. So yeah.
>>
>>60713375
Give me a break. He's literally copying Scott Walker except without anything truly shocking or artful.

Blackstar is the work of a hack and if you think the song is challenging you should stick to Kid A you utter utter plebeian.
>>
>>60713467
Can you come up with opinions of your own for fucks sake? You're obviously just parroting what some anons around here have said.
>>
>>60713432
He's not a copycat. He blends his influences into strong pop songwriting, that's his greatest asset. There's still no album around that sounds like Scary Monsters
>>
just listened to this not knowing what to expect. ive listened to it two times now and so far it sounds like it could be the single for a new vampire weekend album. not a bad listen but a little boring. hopefully the new album will deliver
>>
>>60713524
Just because someone else has said it doesn't make it any less true.

Scott Walker is pop's true artist. David Bowie is just a kiddy fiddler with no originality in him.
>>
https://soundcloud.com/hereliestime/floriweather-dadavillion

for you faggots who can't handle progression
>>
File: painting with.jpg (9 KB, 394x128) Image search: [Google]
painting with.jpg
9 KB, 394x128
>>60713277
Totally agree. Tomboy and Down There had it's moments, and I liked Honeycomb/Gotham, Crimson, and a few tracks on CHz, PBVGR, and Slasher Flicks, but this has the production value of Grim Reaper, but with much better songwriting. I looks like Deakin's out on this one again. Haven't seen him in the very pretty artwork accompanying the single.

The lyrics on the chorus are a little silly, but other than that it's like what CHz could've been if it had better production.
>>
>>60713671
more like regression to be honest family
>>
>>60713671
So it's just the song slowed down? I don't understand what you're getting at with this post.
>>
This single is extremely meh

Hopefully they're just keeping the mind blowing shit in the back until the release
>>
I liked it but it's a pretty weak intro/first track for AnCo standards
>>
>>60714006
lol no

it's really great
>>
what a shit single
>>
>>60714006
What do you not like about it? Basically I think the progression of the song keeps things fresh, with lots of different ideas introduced at a pace that's not too fast to catch but all given enough time to breath, I think the melodies are pretty interesting, and the speed and bounciness are quite a bit like SJ, something only AnCo really does, and I think the instrumentals are pretty disjointed and weird. As far as criticisms, the lyricism is a little uninspired, they basically rewrote California Girls or Back in the USSR, and the percussion is a little static. Still think it's good though. Certainly on par with plenty of stuff from SJ. Better than Winter Wonder Land or Chores, which I never really cared for.
>>
honestly i don't know
>>
>>60714085
Come on dude, you cannot be this delusional. When looking at everything AnCo has released you have to see that its a massive decline in quality. The production is good sure, but the lyrics are lame as fuck. It just doesnt have that super surreal AnCo feel, it just feels like a more generic pop piece than anything.
>>
>>60714175
what a shit opinion
>>
>>60713849
>it's like what CHz could've been if it had better production.
I hear that, but I also hear a lot of FBK in this, which is exciting because I wish they explored those sounds a little more.
>>60711682
Have to agree with this, on it's own it's not a particularly exciting sound but I didn't really like Peacebone the first time I heard it and SJ is my favorite AnCo album with Peacebone being one of the highlights so idk what to really think yet.
>>60714222
>Better than Winter Wonder Land or Chores
Take that back you shit eating pleb
>>
>2016 AOTY
>not the new album by The Wrens
>>
I mean, I wasn't that stoked on Today's Supernatural when it came out either. Now I think Centipede Hz is extremely underrated. I like this song, I don't think it's SONGLE OF THE YEAR but it's pretty good, and I'm sure this album will be quite splendid indeed
>>
>>60714235
I wouldn't say SJ was particularly surreal. People were expecting CHz to be a return to SJ era, but this is closer imo. Their lyricism has always been a little goofy like this. I'll grant you that this isn't enough to know whether the album will be great or not, but the writing and production are there, which I wouldn't say about most of the stuff since MPP era. I'm looking forward to it.
>>
people that don't like it, what's wrong with it?

>gorgeous sung tongs esque harmonies
>panda literally sounding like an angel
>nice drums (the ones in the intro that sound live are better than the electronic ones used in the song proper though)
>bretty cool digeridoo / kazoo sounds
>call and response vocals
>catchy as music gets
>>
I like it. Really feels like their radio single. I wonder if the new album will have a poppy tropical feel to it or it will be more diverse. I'm hoping for a warm feeling album.
>>
>>60714235
Yea, generic pop, you hear songs like this all the time in the top 40
>>
>>60714263
>Take that back you shit eating pleb
If you don't believe it's raining I won't tell you that it's raining
but do you not believe it's raining just because it gets you down?

Seriously not that good of a song. I like the verse a lot but the chorus is fucking retarded and belongs on CHz.

As for Chores, they will never do anything as obnoxious as If I :ll ad nauseam.
>>
>>60714372
I hope they don't try to make every song a single. I miss the days where they had the balls to make half the tracks completely arrhythmic or slow and dreamlike. Like Sung Tongs had The Softest Voice, fucking Visiting Friends, Mouth Wooed Her, Good Lovin' Outside (not as big a fan of that one), and the completely underrated Whaddit I Done. Feels had Daffy Duck, Flesh Canoe, Bees, and Loch Raven. I'm not saying I love all those songs to death, but it was nice that they were casual enough to say fuck it and put them out in the first place. Their philosophy on music seems to have changed, and that's the thing that's keeping them in a box lately. Forget the pop, go back to just fucking around and not giving a shit what people expect.
>>
>>60713671
That's actually a 10/10.
>>
>>60714271
> The Wrens even admitted it was shit
Probably not friend. We can live in hope though.
>>
>>60711723
>scott walker ripoff
>not even good scott walker ripoff
embarrassing
>>
this is the best opener song since leaf house, it starts off the album with no bullshit
>>
>>60714588
I sometimes miss full on-experimental AnCo too

They should really fuck around and go do stuff outside the box like some of their earlier work but I guess they're really sticking with the slightly 'weird' electronic pop thing. I hope Im wrong tho.
>>
>>60711682
haha, fuck. this AC discussion is a reminder why I hate this site sometimes and why I haven't posted here since I was a teenager. I think it's good bye for ever now. have fun guys. don't take music too seriously.
>>
It sounds like a psych version of a song that would be on remain in light by the talking heads
>>
i think the songle is nice i like it, fun fun track, love the panda vocals, hyped asf, this is what hz should have been (no shade to hz tho)
>>
>>60711723
Blackstar was pretty bad.
>>
>>60715080
Agreed.

But I don't care for this either
>>
>>60715128
then why are you here 2bh
>>
>>60715128
Agreed

FloriDada is a nice single but I can't help but feel it's missing something
>>
>>60715190
>>60715128
you niggas trippin
you are just not opening your heart and just want something to hate
is a nice song, fun percussion, really cool synth work, best vocal work we've got in years, it aint no brothersport but im happy
>>
i dont really get the sung tongs vibe everyone is talking about, for me it feels a lot like strawberry jam + MPP and Hz stuff.
lovin the songle
i feel sad for all the hotheads who cant into fun
go listen to swans or some shit
>>
So what does this song have to do with Dadaism other than the title?
>>
File: 62361_0316et.jpg (400 KB, 1811x2346) Image search: [Google]
62361_0316et.jpg
400 KB, 1811x2346
Leave AOTY to me, lads
>>
>>60715300
nothing
>>
i know everyone hates them but i miss avey vocal fx's :(
>>
Everyone already knows it will be Radiohead
>>
>>60715441
i feel this
>>
>>60711723
I liked both singles, don't know what your and everyone replying's problems is
>>
>>60715300
Literally nothing
>>
>>60714287
SONGLE OF THE YEAR
>>
Track lengths.
>>
>>60715885
so many short songs, but im still hype i think floridada is great
>>
>>60714700
THIS BOY IS EXHAAAAUUUUUUUUSTED
>>
I actually enjoy it. Really catchy, Sung Tongs meets MPP.
>>
>>60715979
it gave me so much nostalgia. its catchy as fuck, but also has a lot of the things that made sung tongs, mpp, strawberry jam awesome. the weird sound effects and vocals harmonies. god some anon said this is what chz should have been and i 100% agree. its poppier than their old stuff, but at the same time is so similar to the old stuff.
>>
>>60715300
Dada or Dadaism was a form of artistic anarchy born out of disgust for the social, political and cultural values of the time. It embraced elements of art, music, poetry, theatre, dance and politics.

Well they were saying the album in general is a reaction to everybody's reliance on reverb, and it does have a chaotic energy. Also, it's just wordplay. At first I thought it was like what a flower would call it's dad. It's a little trite, but then, they've always sang about elephants reaching for their purses, and frightened babies that poo.
>>
>>60716230
It doesn't really have much to do with Dadaism though - especially since this song really encapsulates AnCo and they aren't really subverting anything they've done.

AnCo have used pretty loose base "themes" for albums since Feels, and I think the painting thing is the inspiration for this album, but the direct connotation to the movement is a stretch.
I dunno, they seem a bit confused lol - they've called it both cubist as well as their straightforward all killer "Ramones/Beatle album" which seemingly contradict but we'll see.
>>
>>60716396
I'm just working with what I got. It might be a lyrical theme they work with throughout the album, or just a reference to the album as a whole. Or maybe it really is just some wordplay that references stuff they like. Idk.
>>
>>60715979
i think it sounds like all their stuff since ST except for MPP tbqhwyl
>>
>>60716448
Oh yeah, sorry mate didn't mean to hammer ya, lol. Just trying to deconstruct it myself and voicing (typing) my thoughts out loud.

Normally I'd just wave it off (like I did with the alien broadcast CHz thing), but going from the art, promo pic, press release, ect, they really seem committed to this art theme.
>>
File: 1419254216138.gif (911 KB, 171x141) Image search: [Google]
1419254216138.gif
911 KB, 171x141
>>60710657
So another beach boys rip off album, great.

When are they going to bring back STGSTV sound.
>>
File: 1447657393094.png (174 KB, 591x392) Image search: [Google]
1447657393094.png
174 KB, 591x392
Reminder that MPP is their worst release and signaled the death of AnCo.
>>
>>60716620
CHz is so much worse

They were on total autopilot there
>>
MAJOR DISAPPOINTMENT I AM SAD
>>
>>60713671
this is hilarious

>>60713914
slightly slowed down and added reverb, sounds exactly like every MPP song.
>>
>>60714396
>What do you not like about it? Basically I think the progression of the song keeps things fresh, with lots of different ideas introduced at a pace that's not too fast to catch but all given enough time to breath, I think the melodies are pretty interesting, and the speed and bounciness are quite a bit like SJ, something only AnCo really does, and I think the instrumentals are pretty disjointed and weird. As far as criticisms, the lyricism is a little uninspired, they basically rewrote California Girls or Back in the USSR, and the percussion is a little static. Still think it's good though. Certainly on par with plenty of stuff from SJ. Better than Winter Wonder Land or Chores, which I never really cared for.

who cares about lyrics anyway.
>>
>>60713671
much better 2bh
>>
i appreciate the clean production of this, as opposed to mpp
>>
>>60714235
The only decline in anything is my intrinsic value after reading this post. It's hugely surreal. It's bouncy and playful, with wonky, somewhat schizophrenic production. The lyrics don't lack that much either, and they aren't lame. If you took time to read them you could see that their even a pretty nice step in the right direction.

>generic pop

I don't know if you're serious, so I'm not going to back myself into a corner by attacking that statement as well.

>>60711682
Yeah, I wouldn't say it's single of the year but I seriously disagree with this being an outright terrible song.

>>60715300
>>60716396

>Old demented men, where is the place we can extend/Crooked state line, polka dot signs say that this place is, a state of mind/Pretty lip girls, paint me the halls/Not on a street, not near a mall/Raise me a thumb from human skin, that isn't judged by where it begins.

^I feel like that's the dosage of dadaism you two are probably looking for.
>>
>>60717539
How is that line dadaist?
>>
imo floridada was one of their best psych p op offerings yet. dem vocal harmonies and drums. better than pretty much all of mpp.
i just wish they would make more ambient folky stuff again tho
>>
>>60714588
>Forget the pop, go back to just fucking around and not giving a shit what people expect

MPP's success killed any chance of this happening anytime soon. If they're around for a while longer I could see them doing this eventually. If they only have a couple albums left, probably not
>>
>>60718339
Hi there!

You seem to have made a bit of a mistake in your post. Luckily, the users of 4chan are always willing to help you clear this problem right up! You appear to have used a tripcode when posting, but your identity has nothing at all to do with the conversation! Whoops! You should always remember to stop using your tripcode when the thread it was used for is gone, unless another one is started! Posting with a tripcode when it isn't necessary is poor form. You should always try to post anonymously, unless your identity is absolutely vital to the post that you're making!

Now, there's no need to thank me - I'm just doing my bit to help you get used to the anonymous image-board culture!
Thread replies: 84
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.