[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinion Thread
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2
File: folder.jpg (152 KB, 1035x1035) Image search: [Google]
folder.jpg
152 KB, 1035x1035
Thoughts in Mike Patton's work? Especifically Faith No More, Mondo Cane and Mr. Bungle
>>
this album left me very flat to say the least but all the live performances I've seen for it have been a surprisingly significant improvement most due to patton
>>
Thoughts on Mondo Cane?
>>
File: image.jpg (101 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
101 KB, 600x600
Angel Dust and King for a Day are great albums

Mr. Bungle are an amazing band thanks to Patton, Dunn and Spruance all being great songwriters. Disco Volante and California are both 10/10's

Mondo Cane is alright
>>
I've always seen musicians saying things like "Mike Patton is the best" and stuff like that, but I've never seen normal people say it, is he underrated or am I just being a fag?
>>
>>60702816
maybe you're talking to older people? He hasn't been relevant in about a decade
>>
I only ever liked Disco Volante for some reason
>>
I mean, Peeping Tom, Fantomas, Mondo Cane, Tomahawk, Collaboration with John Zorn and Morricone and the latest album from Faith No More "Sol Invictus" are from less than a decade
>>
>>60702895
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Patton_discography#Moonchild_Trio

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Patton_discography#As_composer
>>
>>60702956
fantomas last new material as I understand it was suspended animation at just over a decade ago

and tomahawk was never relevant

neither is sol invictus
>>
new bungle when?
>>
>>60703109
Probably never sadly
>>
I don't think Mr. Bungle is dead, Puffy and Billy Gould are good friend of the integrants of Mr. Bungle, so they influence Mike on getting on work with them, HOPEFULLY
>>
>>60703194
It's more like Patton and Spruance don't get along all that well. Plus Trevor Dunn has mentioned before he's against the idea on his twitter
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jt856_nRxQk
GOAT performance
>>
Patton is a hack but Trey Spruance and Trevor Dunn are good enough that they managed to make Mr. Bungle listenable.
>>
saw bungle when they toured for california. played the album straight through. good times, good times.

don't even have the album anymore. still listen to secret chiefs once in awhile, but that's not patton related, and i think this tangent's gone far enough.
>>
>>60702816
As a singer, I'd say he probably is one of, if not the best singer around, he has incredibly versatility and range.

Plus, he's the king of /fit/, so that has to count for something.
>>
I love the EP he did with Dillinger Escape Plan

>CHINGA
>your mother
>CHINGA
>your father
>CHINGA
>your brother AND THE THING UNDER THE COVERS
>>
>>60703353
Honestly, I kind of agree. I find Patton himself very hit and miss - I wouldn't call him a hack necessarily, but certainly unreliable - but to me that's not where his talent lies anyway. In my eyes, Patton's very similar to John Zorn, in that neither of them are reliably any good on stage (Zorn's sax-playing is among the worst I've ever heard), but both are astoundingly talented at collecting genius musicians to surround themselves with, and getting all of those masterful players organised onto a really quite musical or interesting project.

I don't think of either of them as musicians so much as art-directors and producers - but I don't think that's something to sneer at: I think we'd have missed out on a lot of good music without them.
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.