[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Drummer here, looking to improve, but there's such an information
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
File: 4050661788_696ae2f47c_b[1].jpg (406 KB, 1024x685) Image search: [Google]
4050661788_696ae2f47c_b[1].jpg
406 KB, 1024x685
Drummer here, looking to improve, but there's such an information black hole I don't honestly know where to start. Been playing for about a year, started out with no guidance, shit gear, and a want to go fast. Now I'm fast but I still have shit gear and no guidance.

I can lay down a rhythm and "jam" but on a technical level I'm trash.
I don't know more than 5 rudiments, can't keep time, my gear is shit, I'm discouraged, and I don't know where to start.
>>
I have reach, but no grasp.
>>
At least buy a book that contains fundamentals if you're not going to get any lessons. There should be plenty of lessons on youtube. I'm primarily a bass player, find a beginner bass player to jam with.

PROTIP: if you can't play slow, you can't play fast. Get a metronome.
>>
>>60700525
learn more rudiments and practice them to a metronome.
>>
If you don't understand why this is the greatest rock drumming in the history of the world, one more year practice.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q8fZeaUHsjw
>>
I attempt to use a a metronome app on my phone, but I can barely hear it even with decent headphones.
>>
>>60701463

Just get a good metronome like a dr beat. it'll come in handy in the future.
>>
>>60701463

Good metronomes have a visual mode.
>>
>>60701706
but how will I hear it once I'm playing faster?
>>
>>60701961

See

>>60701763

But really, practice slow and get a feel for the beat. What sort of drumming are you into, Pete Sandoval blast style? If you have good rhythm you can hear the beat pulse in the blast, If you don't it would just sound like a guy playing fast.

A good sense of rhythym means you can hear any beat and instanly know how it counts, like hearing a death metal blast and being able to slow it in your head and count every beat. That only comes from slow practice and building up.

Take it or leave it, but if you can't walk you'll fall on your face.
>>
So you know 5 rudiments, but how well do you actually know them and can you even conceptualize how they might be applicable to a drum set?

Don't just learn rudiments. Learn them backwards and front. Practice them until you're seamlessly able to alternate hands and play them at any tempo for extended periods of time. Rudiment practice is so important. I've been playing for 9 years and I still take at least 2 days a week to practice nothing but rudiments.
>>
>>60702063
I'll definitely try this, I'm watching a video on common drumming mistakes and it is really accentuating how much you need to slow things down and really understand their mechanics. I'm into black metal type blast beats, basic jazz, and psychedelia/raga rock. I set out to play math rock but never learned much about timing. Never considered lessons before but now I'm highly considering it if only for direction in itself.
>>
I think some people just have it and others don't.
>>
>>60702520
Very true, I don't know if I have it, I like to think that for playing less than a year and having only my internal time to guide me what I can pull off is surprisingly passable. I'll try and get a decent quality video uploaded, only people who've seen me play are local musicians I jam with.
>>
For rudiments, I recommend watching drumline snare drummers. Also, Jojo Mayer has a very good video series about hand/grip technique (i.e. the difference between matched grip and traditional grip and finger/wrist motion).
>>
>>60702601
I'd like to see that video.
>>
How do I find a solid instructor? There's a music shop that charges $20/half hour one day a week, seems fucking expensive but the teachers are certified and such.
>>
>>60702762
I'll try to get it setup tomorrow so /mu/ can rip me to shreds, I could use the humbling.
>>
>>60702517

Cool well listen to Altars of Madness by Morbid Angel and Reign in Blood by Slayer until you start to click to the pulse in the blasts. Those two albums are pretty much perfect.

FWIW I've played bass with decent math rock drummers and sometimes it's like playing with a Dr Beat with the 4/4 accents busted. Seriously if you can play 4/4 like on these two albums, you can only play that complex stuff with real feel. And once you nail that feel, you'll feel good man, just like the fuckin frog.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vo5DqOTRs18

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m3BdOwf2nUg
>>
File: 1383501740324.jpg (81 KB, 400x580) Image search: [Google]
1383501740324.jpg
81 KB, 400x580
>>60702830
i feel it
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.