[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Instruments that make sense
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6
File: GP215EP.png (216 KB, 530x537) Image search: [Google]
GP215EP.png
216 KB, 530x537
Instruments that make sense
>>
it took me a while to decide this, but i think the piano really is the best instrument.
>>
>>60699584
Welcome to the club hows your sight reading?
>>
>>60699591
None of your business.
>>
I like guitar and piano

piano makes more sense when reading music notation imo but im worse at it than guitar
>>
>>60699549

uM exCusE mE
CoNtrAbAss ObOe makeS pErfeCt SenSe

but in all seriousness piano really is nice
i can say i play one of the lowest instruments and one of the highest
>>
>>60699591
>sight reading

Nigga, who needs notes when you can just improv shit
>>
As in they have an obvious place in music? I don't get it
>>
File: Trypophobia.jpg (302 KB, 1023x652) Image search: [Google]
Trypophobia.jpg
302 KB, 1023x652
Modular synth t b h
>>
>>60700878
They make sense
>>
>>60700894
Ohhh ok xd
>>
>>60699629
compared to piano a guitar is a fucking mess

lots of patterns and sight reading music with guitar is an absolute nightmare just due to the fact you can play the same note in multiple places.
>>
File: media[1].jpg (41 KB, 600x241) Image search: [Google]
media[1].jpg
41 KB, 600x241
Do you understand tubes? Then you understand the trombone. No complicated fingering charts or stick-your-hand-in-the-bell-to-change-the-pitch shit, just tubes.
>>
drums, cymbals, blocks, shakers
>>
>>60699549
what are some instruments that don't, OP? i'm curious
>>
>>60700890
>small system isn't flexible enough
>large system isn't controllable enough
>>
File: nico5.png (346 KB, 600x664) Image search: [Google]
nico5.png
346 KB, 600x664
>>60701456
>that's the charm of it
>>
>>60701456
It's just math though
>>
>>60701439
I'd totally cut the fat out of the wind ensemble woodwind section. English horn, bass clarinet, and those honking abominations called saxophones can be replaced by oboes, bassoons, and clarinets, which are instruments actually capable of sounding beautiful.
>>
>>60700890
kekked at the filename tee bee æych
>>
File: maxresdefault.jpg (62 KB, 1286x720) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
62 KB, 1286x720
>>
>>60701829
It's nonlinear math though, so it can be intractable.
>>
>>60700956
I completely agree with this statement. Guitar is definitely more fun for me though because I guess im a retard and i can't play more than one ryhthm at once for more than 3 minutes. I've just been starting to delve into music theory, and scales have been a lot of fun for me with guitar.
>>
>>60699591
Dece, like I can read it at a slow-moderate pace but nothing too fast. Plus rhythm fucks me up sometimes
>>
>>60699549
Joe satriani says piano can be awkward for the hands. He is right in a sense, guitar is much more streamlined, though fancy chords are very awkward.
>>
>>60700878
I think they mean that they are laid out in a way which is simple and intuitive.

>>60703982
Funny, I would have said the opposite, that guitar can be awkward for the hands compared to piano, and that the piano is certainly more streamlined, but that fancy voicings are occasionally easier on the guitar.
>>
>>60703982
hard-to-play chords rarely sound nice anyway. leads and single note riffs are a different story.
>>
>>60699584
acoustic guitar is on par imo. they're a perfect pairing too.
idk man you play whatever you like, there's no right and wrong. can't please everyone.
>>
>>60704780
In what way do you perceive an acoustic guitar to be in any way on par with a piano? A guitar is less intuitively laid out, speaks slower in it's middle register, requires twice as many fingers to play the same amount, has no significant sympathetic resonance of it's strings, is harder to play polyphonically, is impossible to play more than 4 voices on simultaneously with any sort of versatility, and absolutely impossible to play more voices than you have strings, has a smaller pitch-range, has a smaller dynamic range, has a smaller range within which chords can be voiced (due to hand-span covering fewer intervals, and being unable to voice a chord with both hands), requires notes to continue being depressed in order to sustain, and has greater levels of inharmonicity inherent in it's strings.

Don't get me wrong, the guitar is a great instrument, and certainly has some advantages over a piano: it's easier to tune and retune, it's more portable, it allows the same finger-shapes to be slid up and down the fretboard for easy transposition, it's particularly suited to chords that are voiced primarily in fifths, it's particularly good at rapidly alternating between melody-tones and pedal-tones (so long as an open string is tuned to the pedal-tone), and it's suited to more expressive techniques more easily; but it's not even close to being on par with a piano.
>>
>>60704780
Also, they're a terrible pairing, since the registers which they both have their richest tones are in the same rough area, and the piano will almost always completely drown the guitar out.

If you want something that couples well with the piano, you need something with either a vastly different tone-colour, or else whose most sonorous register sits outside the pianos.
>>
>>60701302
All pay homage to the brass slide whistle
>>
>>60699584
>it took me a while to decide this, but i think the piano really is the best instrument.
the best one is a instrument that is of the Continuous pitch instruments types
>>
>>60699549
Hurdy gurdy
>>
Slide bass trumpet with double reed mouthpiece
>>
Harmonica
>>
>>60699549
What? How can an instrument don't make sense?
>>
>>60706877
when they get older
>>
>>60700823
>who needs notes when you can just improv shit
People who don't suck. Any self-respecting ensemble would kick your hack ass if you started improv-ing.
>>
>>60706877
By not being laid out in an intuitive way.
>>
>>60699584
>No expressive techniques outside of dynamic control
>best instrument

Yeah, right.... Try again.
>>
>>60707182
>>No expressive techniques outside of dynamic control

But that's just not true.
>>
What's stopping me from stealing someone's riff and then putting it in a constant loop and I just reverb the fuck out of it and feed it plugins until it sounds like popcorn in the microwave and then I just record myself screaming and layer it 3 minutes in and finish "my song" and then I photoshop a picture of wooden baby blocks next to a pyramid and slap a name on it like "nutseed library" and then I keep doing this until you faggots find my shit and start eating it up
>>
>>60707274
Absolutely nothing. So why aren't you?
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 720x405) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 720x405
>>60700890
Using my modular is really an experience totally different from any other I've had at any level of interaction with other instruments.

It is completely tasking and profoundly more rewarding.

Also
>Pittsburgh
>>
>>60701302
Yeah but you have to learn all kind of lip syncing and tongue jobs to be good at it.
>>
The piano? Really dude? What are you, some kind of kek? s
Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.