[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
My mom just did the "sampling is stealing" routine
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4
File: 1440272848514.jpg (76 KB, 360x480) Image search: [Google]
1440272848514.jpg
76 KB, 360x480
My mom just did the "sampling is stealing" routine on me in a conversation about hip hop. I can't refute this and elaborate without being shot down by rockist talking points. What can I say that will make her understand?
>>
>>60697161
"you are old and stupid"
>>
technically, recording anything is stealing sound.
>>
>>60697161
She's right
>>
Memerap is trash.
>>
>>60697190
This.
>>
>>60697161
Show her this

http://youtu.be/tIoR3PYpduo
>>
>>60697232
T H I S
H
I
S
>>
talking with your mom
talking about music with your mom
talking about hip hop music with your mom
talking about how sampling in hip hop music is stealing with your mom

fucking normie ree
>>
Music changes, get used to it
>>
File: what the fuck bro.jpg (34 KB, 505x479) Image search: [Google]
what the fuck bro.jpg
34 KB, 505x479
is your mother 80 years old?

i thought this argument died by the time Fresh Prince of Bel Air started airing.
>>
>>60697161
Sampling is stealing only to the same extent that any derivation without compensation is "stealing." The point is that it's derivative, not duplicative. A sample conjures the original work and may transform it or recontextualize it. It's like allusion in literature.
>>
she's right tho
>>
>>60697326
MODS
>>
>>60697326
cute penis. is the owner a she perhaps?
>>
File: 1442437472613.jpg (19 KB, 453x470) Image search: [Google]
1442437472613.jpg
19 KB, 453x470
>>60697362
>>
Read lessig's remix
>>
>>60697161
If you can talk her into spending 16 minutes I think this talk is perfect

https://www.ted.com/talks/mark_ronson_how_sampling_transformed_music?language=en
>>
Stealing is using the samples with your shitty vocals over it

Just like with images, plagiarism is avoided by editing the image into something else
>>
>>60697161
oh yeah she pulled that line with me last night in bed, i shut her up by putting my dick in her mouth
>>
>>60697161
kill her
>>
>>60697235
Not all rap is memerap newfag.
>>
>>60697392
This, and pierre leval's writing on fair use
>>
>>60697248
This
>>
your mother is right you insolent little shit
i get chopping a drum beat just by the means of emulating the recording engineering (you probably won't get a late 60s funk snare sound in any modern studio), and it has little to do with the actual musicians
but just lifting and looping other musician's compositional ideas to use in your own is musical plagarism, it's stealing
>>
I normally show someone a video from this series

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1w0vv8BqRcw

Shows come of the effort behind it and if nothing else they can get a feel for how sampling actually work
>>
>>60697556
>unomsayn
>>
i don't know, it's hard to change someone's opinion on this sort of thing.

the best thing to do might be to show her an example of a track built around a sample and that uses it inventively, and then show her the original source. maybe try some madlib.
>>
>>60697248
kek Steve Albini
>>
>>60697417
All rap IS memerap though, as it's objectively inferior/cheaper music. It's our degenerate plebeian /mu/ that has tried to make us believe rap is an "essential" genre and that if you don't like it you must be "narrow-minded", a "redditor" who is "born in le wrong generation" and there's probably some racial element to it too. Rap music has no staying power. All of rap is just a neo-rockist sub-genre of top-40 pop, with a "urban" paint job. This music doesn't stand the test of time, it's a fad. That's why rappers are discussed about like fashion. Image/fashion/numbers sold are actually considered when talking about them. Rap is just a really cheap/lazy form of music anyways. The majority of rap beats are just stealing (MUHH "SAMPLING") another artist's music, looping it over a generic drumbeat while someone "raps" over it. The "technical aspects" of rapping are not hard at all. That's why there's 14 year old white girls on YouTube uploading themselves flowing with ease and speed, dropping multis like it's nothing. But because they don't fit the image of a "rapper", no one would take seriously. I've listened to it all from backpacker shit like cLOUDDEAD and Atmosphere to the "golden days" of Public Enemy and Eric B. and Rakim to instrumental stuff like J Dilla and DJ Shadow to the 90s with Nas and Mobb Deep to the CLT approved A Tribe Called Quest and Digital Planets to today like Kendrick and Kanye. All rap is meme rap. All of it. Stop spamming it. Either keep it contained into one threads or request a containment board. I'm sick of coming on /mu/ and seeing a million Kanye threads (none of which are about music btw).
>>
>>60698724
Lmao is this a pasta?
>>
>>60698724
PASTA
A
S
T
A
>>
>>60698749
https://rbt.asia/mu/?task=search&ghost=&search_text=hownew.ru
>>
>>60697470
This. Sooooo much. I'd even give some more leeway and say you can borrow phrases, so long as you mix them in an innovative and creative way. But taking a full 4 bars, looping them as-is for a whole song and adding a "beat" without really changing anything? That's bullshit, there's no art to it.

Same as in any other medium. If you do a cubist interpretation of mickey mouse, or use 1000 prints of him in various poses to re-create a historic photograph, then you've made something original. If you take a still from Steamboat Willie, don't even take the fucking time to cut mickey out of the scene or anything, and then draw a pair of Air Jordans on him, then you're stealing.

This is not sampling.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=grPfVlj7Go4
>>
>>60697161
She's right you know.

Now for some straight shota mom-son incest
>>
>>60697161
>Artist who wrote the song being sampled gets a royalty
>Stealing
>>
>>60697232
that's retarded.

Just say stealing is cool and show her some pleb plunderphonics like SILW
>>
>>60697470
>(you probably won't get a late 60s funk snare sound in any modern studio)
why the hell not?
>>
>>60699487
I thought we were discussing artistic integrity, not business. Just because you paid the necessary fees to make your hack music doesn't mean you're not a hack.
>>
>>60699433
This song was released for free on a mixtape though. The purpose of a mixtape is for a rapper to show off their abilities and hopefully get signed by a label or get some buzz so that they can work with actual producers. If they're trying to sell their work or get noticed as a producer I can see your point but I don't see a problem with a rapper throwing together a lazy beat if they're just trying to get noticed.
>>
your mom is right.
>>
>>60697161
shes 100% correct. the melodies and harmonies are the most important part of music. they are the lyrics in my opinion. that and the vocal melody

sample music is only good because of the sample. people who say they like rap are delusional, they actually like jazz and soul, but theyve been coniditoned into believing the edgy lyrics on top add something important to the mix, the truth is it doesnt at all and they could get the same feelings just listening to the music thats being sampled
>>
>>60699555
mixing good is harder and more expensive than writing good music
>>
File: hankdone.jpg (30 KB, 343x315) Image search: [Google]
hankdone.jpg
30 KB, 343x315
>>60700509
I don't even know where to start with this. There's so much fucking stupidity contained in these eleven words it's almost poetry.
>>
>>60700470
you have a supremely narrow view of music
Thread replies: 45
Thread images: 4

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.