[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
FORMULA FOR /mu/ TRIGGER ALBUMS
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2
File: platform.png (2 MB, 1000x1000) Image search: [Google]
platform.png
2 MB, 1000x1000
1. release album that is kinda experimental
2. have it get really really popular
3. watch as /mu/ gets triggered by it getting popular instead of REAL experimental music
>>
>tfw Lonely at the Top genuinely triggers my ASMR
It's weird though, not like the usual tingles, a lot more chilling. Also this album really isn't that popular is it? I remember it being in the RYM Top 50 for the year months back but thought it dropped out
>>
>>60696306
I remember it being really popular but w/e the point still stands
>>
>>60696248
can you blame /mu/ really? i mean most people on this board have >>>average taste, and this is a pretty average album
>>
That album cover is so fuckin' original.
>>
>>60696404
It's more unique than a lot of people think.Yeah its kinda derivative of IDM like autechre, but those vocal manipulations are tight af.

Her first album is way more original but it didn't get as popular so im not mentioning it.
>>
>>60696494
ill check out her first album, thanks!
>>
>>60696248
Think arca, not platform. This was a fantastic album that got a bad shake because of it's silly ASMR gimmick track, positive pitchfork review, and ugly cover. In fact, this is easily one of the best electronic releases of the year.

>>60696494
This too. First album was really really experimental but not that of a listen.

>>60696404
Nah, the bad taste came out with all the poor arguments about how this album was bad.

The formula for trigger albums works just as well with those meme records like zachariah holte that get a ton of attention for a stupid reason.
>>
>>60696248
yeah its okay
hope her next release is better. still feel likes shes testing the waters on what she can do
>>
>>60696674
I remember seeing threads calling her "pseudo experimental" more than once.
>>
Any alt covers? If I try this out, I'd rather not have that ugly ass cover
>>
Nah its easier than that. It just has to be an album that /mu/ likes, that people /mu/ doesn't like also like.
>>
eh, I really liked this album. Holly is really nice and talented - I thought people here liked it, though?
>>
>>60696768
the album art is good you plen

>>60696674
i enjoy it, but i wouldn't call it fantastic. it's spotty and disjointed. doesn't know whether it wants to be quirky pop or serious electronic music
>>
Such a shitshow of an album. More faux-avant garde than radiohead
>>
oh so /mu/ did not forget about it
>>
>>60696248
It's actually a mess of an album though compared to people like OPN, giant glaw, and saiba 98 who all did the same kind of music before and better than her
>>
>>60696494
Car?
>>
>>60696742
/mu/ is the worst
>>
>>60698096
How does one fake avant garde?
>>
>>60698276
Oh fuck I forgot about that one

I was thinking of movement sorry
>>
File: $_12[1].jpg (32 KB, 500x492) Image search: [Google]
$_12[1].jpg
32 KB, 500x492
>>60696768
the limited edition has a really cool cover, but I can't find a scan.

The obvious artifice of the normal cover is perfect for the music though
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ybzSWlpgJOA
>>
>>60696674
mutant is a pretty average release and it's better than platform. Stretch II is way better than anything herndon has ever done.

>>60698255
This is accurate. Herndon doesn't make bad music she just makes music that is extremely derivative of others and not as good as the work she is being influenced by. The only reason she gained real traction in the first place is the fact that she's a woman making experimental electronic music.
>>
>>60698871
I don't think too many people would really argue against her being obviously below her influences but "extremely derivative" is a bit harsh, the better tracks on Platform are definitely distinguishable as her own take on the style.
>The only reason she gained real traction in the first place is the fact that she's a woman making experimental electronic music.
I don't see any reason to believe that this is true in any way.
>>
>>60698356
movement is worth your listening time
>>
>the people in this thread
proving the OP right desu

the influences from other post-internet artists like OPN show up but are not at all important to her very specific style or really variety of styles that she displays over the LP. in particular her fascination of the melding between human voice and electronics is very unique to modern artists (granted Stockhausen predated her; but if we were to talk about popular musicians not innovating like that we'd be here all night)

point being don't be such shallow bitches, just admit it's a good record
>>
>>60699530
preach
>>
>>60699530
fckn word
/thread
>>
>>60699530
this

Platform is really underrated, one of my favorites of the year
>>
>>60699522 (checked)
Listening to it right now and Breathe is surprisingly uncomfortable in the best way possible.
>>
>>60698871
Honestly I can see why someone might think her music is overly derivative (especially seeing as 0pn is fairly well known) but to me it seems like she developed her own variant of the style rather than just being a copycat. I would say that Herndon is to 0pn as early Black Moth Super Rainbow is to Boards of Canada: she's a bit poppier and she uses very different techniques to come to a similar yet subtly unique style of sounds (eg. she uses the concept of 'voice music' to achieve some unsettling 0pn-esque atmospheres much like BMSR used a mellotron to achieve a similar lo-fi synth tone to Boards of Canada.)
Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.