[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
ITT: Bands that people pretend to like for hipster cred
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3
File: nk_coil.jpg (47 KB, 330x500) Image search: [Google]
nk_coil.jpg
47 KB, 330x500
ITT: Bands that people pretend to like for hipster cred
>>
all bands
>>
>>60694738
>ITT: Bands that people pretend to like for hipster cred
can you please expand on this?
>>
>>60694751
This
>>
>>60694772

In this thread, I would like to see posts showing bands/artists/etc. that very few people legitimately enjoy, but instead claim to enjoy because of the image associated with them, the need to stand out as "unique", or the fear of being branded a "pleb" for not liking them due to a well known music critic stating his enjoyment of them.

Coil is a prime example due to the majority of "fans" only having listened to two records (Black Antlers and Ape of Naples), but claim to be major fans due to the image of mystery and strangeness associated with them.
>>
>>60694887
So I'm OK if Scatology is my favorite album of theirs?
>>
>>60694887
All noise acts

This is coming from a noise fan btw
>>
>>60694887
why is it not possible to be a fan of a band when you've only heard two of their albums? is there a unwritten law about a certain threshold you need to cross before officially being a fan?

what if someone really enjoys the mystery and strangeness? are they not allowed to until they've heard all of their albums? i don't know what kind of world you live in but i sure as hell don't want to visit
>>
>>60694887
>Coil is a prime example due to the majority of "fans" only having listened to two records (Black Antlers and Ape of Naples), but claim to be major fans due to the image of mystery and strangeness associated with them.
That particular era of Coil sounds different from even their Musick period so I can see why people would indicate Ape and Antlers as the albums they're interested in. Also what mystery? What strangeness? They were just 2 gay guys who were into Crowley and made some interesting music.
>>
>>60695009
>is there a unwritten law about a certain threshold you need to cross before officially being a fan?

Yes. How can you say you like a band if you haven't listened to all of their content?
>>
File: godspeed.jpg (786 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
godspeed.jpg
786 KB, 1500x1500
>>60694738
>>
>>60695051

Their occult references and interests make people assume that the music they produce is 2deep4u spiritual nonsense (especially because the cover of How To Destroy Angels basically says it is).
>>
>>60695053
- listen to music -
hey I like music

it's that simple
>>
>>60695053
because you like what you have heard? what the fuck is your definition of enjoyment
if you like the music a band makes, you like the band. 1+1=2 you know
i am pretty sure you're just trolling at this point but if you can elaborate on this, fire away
>>
>>60695053

I don't think most fans of The Residents have listened to their giant discography.
>>
Someone on /mu/ is shitposting about my favorite band!! What the HECK
>>
>>60694738
It's kind of weird that both of them are dead.
>>
>>60695127
That's a huge generalization.
>>
>>60694887
Coil is mystery and strangeness, You're just trying to be condescending and deconstructionist towards the fans for liking something you don't get/care for. Here's your attention, I hope you're satisfied.
>>
>>60695053
not sure if b8 or retarded
>>
>>60695053
Apparently no John Cage fans exist. They're all posers because they haven't listened to all of his content!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/As_Slow_as_Possible

PS:Grow up.
>>
>>60695496
>>60695426
>>60695128
>>60695163
>>60695190

I was being sarcastic. I did not know it was this easy to bait and get replies on /mu/.... On /tv/ it's hard to get (you)s because they're actually intelligent.
>>
>>60695559
>I-I was just pretending to be retarded!
>>
>>60695559
not gonna take time out of my evening to find that "i wad being retarded on purpose" comic
you get the point
>>
>>
>>60695559
Humor
>>
>>60694738
Classical Music
>>
>>60695621
>>60695626
>>60695644

More replies? Keep em coming guys. I'm gonna make a collage of all replies and post it on my facebook.
>>
>>60695707
really got me there dude congrats
>>
>>60695707

No one is surprised by the who troll posts 4chan screenshots on his Facebook
>>
>>60695559

>ppl actually do this
>>
>>60695707
So everyone can see that you're annoying? Congratulations I guess?
>>
>>60695707
>haha see I was trolling all along
>if you replied you're the idiot for falling for my clever ruse
>haha
Thread replies: 33
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.