[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
>Name a post-rock album that is better. >Pro-tip, you cant.
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10
File: godspeed.jpg (786 KB, 1500x1500) Image search: [Google]
godspeed.jpg
786 KB, 1500x1500
>Name a post-rock album that is better.
>Pro-tip, you cant.
>>
File: Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg (66 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Slint_-_Spiderland.jpg
66 KB, 300x300
pic related is the only good one
>>
I wouldn't know which one was better, but Larks Tongues is probably my favorite from the genre,

>>60692726
While it was influential to the genre, the album itself is not post rock.
>>
Bark Psychosis - Hex
>>
File: Laughing+Stock.png (237 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Laughing+Stock.png
237 KB, 400x400
done
>>
>>60692801
bait
>>
>>60692700
I like LYSFLATH more, but they are both close competition.
>>
>>60692700
depending on my mood
>>60692726
>only good one
as pleb as it gets
>>
Literally any first wave album, I'm not even exaggerating.
>>
>>60692832
Not bait. Completely serious about it.
Why is it that everybody wants Spiderland to be Post Rock when it clearly isn't?
>>
>>60692832
don't get avant-math god started on what is and what isn't post-rock, it'll fill up the whole thread
>>
>>60692700
literally any first-wave post-rock is better than this crescendo-core garbage

some notable examples:
>Spiderland
>Million Now Living Will Never Die
>Soundtracks for the Blind
>Spirit of Eden
>>
>>60692801
I agree. I think that Spiderland has more in common with Daydream Nation than the sound that has come to define post-rock

I'm not sure I would call Lark's Tongues post rock though
>>
>>60692912
>Spiderland
Post Hardcore
>Million Now Living Will Never Die
Krautrock
>Soundtracks for the Blind
Experimental Rock
>Spirit of Eden
Art Rock

>>60692930
>I'm not sure I would call Lark's Tongues post rock though
Yeah, I wouldn't consider that album post rock either, but it has definitely more elements from the genre than Spiderland, that's why I posted it.
>>
File: r u b retard.jpg (125 KB, 1224x1445) Image search: [Google]
r u b retard.jpg
125 KB, 1224x1445
>>60692912
>>
>>60692947
>>Million Now Living Will Never Die
>Krautrock
How the fuck could americans make krautrock in the 90s? Get the fuck out of here.
>>
File: cover.jpg (37 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
37 KB, 500x500
>>60692700
>>
>>60693014
Can't you hear the massive Can and Neu influences? Or are you one of those who think that genres are country and decade restricted?
>>
>>60692726
>spiderland
melodramatic garbage, an album to feel sorry for yourself to, not really an interesting work of art.

>>60692826
good
>>
>>60693066
Krautrock is barely a cohesive genre in the first place. What makes Faust like Can like Kraftwerk like Amon Duul II other than the fact that they were all from Germany around the same time?
>>
>>60692947
post-rock doesn't have a specific sound anyway, or at least it didn't in the time of slint or talk talk, and especially not king crimson. having said that, gy!be who are probably the quintessential post-rock band at this point sound a lot like the talking drum off larks' (and not just because of the violin)
>>
>>60693121
Well, it's as much krautrock as are Can and Neu, therefore they should be considered krautrock too.

>What makes Faust like Can like Kraftwerk like Amon Duul II other than the fact that they were all from Germany around the same time?
Can, Faust, and Amon Duul II were all psychedelic rock inspired bands who featured lengthy improvisations. Lraftwerk leans more on the non-rock krautrock (progressive electronic) like Cluster, Tangerine Dream, etc. They shouldn't be considered Krautrock, but that's another story.

>>60693167
Except that Slint is Post Hardcore, which is a relatively specific sound. And post rock does have a specific sound if you start looking at Mogwai/GYBE and other similar bands (anything but first wave).
>>
File: F#A#&.jpg (8 KB, 220x220) Image search: [Google]
F#A#&.jpg
8 KB, 220x220
>>60692700
percussion is good, specifically in East Hastings.
>>
>>60692700
Millions Now Living Will Never Die
Laughing Stock
The Stars Are So Big, the Earth Is So Small... Stay As You Are
Transient Random-Noise Bursts With Announcements
Eva Luna
Street Horrrsing
Spiderland
Kid A
Lifelike
Hold Your Horse Is
Macha
Upgrade & Afterlife
Four Great Points

>>60692726
Stop posting.
>>
>>60693251
yeah slint is post-hardcore and first wave post-rock. the two aren't mutually exclusive. you'll rarely find an artist that fits strictly into one specific genre, especially early post-rock bands
>>
>>60693461
Sure, not necessarily mutually exclusive, but
> slint is first wave post-rock
Why?
>>
>>60693485
because they were literally part of the first wave of post-rock becoming a popular and somewhat distinct genre. obviously there were other bands like king crimson before them but they weren't exactly part of a larger post-rock movement and didn't have immediate influence on what would eventually be the other post-rock bands
>>
>>60693598
>because they were literally part of the first wave of post-rock becoming a popular and somewhat distinct genre
What exactly did they do that made them post rock?

>obviously there were other bands like king crimson before them but they weren't exactly part of a larger post-rock movement
Sure, I can agree with that. But Slint were not part of that movement.

>didn't have immediate influence on what would eventually be the other post-rock bands
I can agree with this too.
>>
>>60692801
>>60692870
>>60692930
>>60692947
ITT: plebs deny that "x" album is part of "y" genre because "x" album does not fit into the overused cliches of "y" genre
>>
>>60693332
Please don't call kid a post rock I need to have an album in my top 5 that isn't post rock
>>
>>60692989
spotted the butthurt gybe fan with shit taste in music
>>
>>60693639
>The music of Spiderland is noted for its angular guitar rhythms, dramatically alternating dynamic shifts and irregular time signatures
the last two points particularly. also spiderland is just structured in a way that hadn't been done before in any post-hardcore album. obviously they weren't as texture-focused as later post-rock, but i really don't know how else i'd describe a song like say 'for dinner.' i don't know if you can really call them just post-hardcore if you can't point out another post-hardcore artist that sounded anything like spiderland-era slint before them
>>
>>60693639
>>60693799
i should also point out that most people acknowledge slint as an influence on gybe, and that mogwai are on the record saying that they are for themselves, but not many other post-hardcore bands unsurprisingly
>>
>>60693639
avant stop ruining post rock thread go fuck yourself
>>
>>60693696
You are completely missing the point.

>>60693799
>angular guitar rhythms, dramatically alternating dynamic shifts and irregular time signatures
Only the second one could make it post rock, but by that logic we could also consider MBV post rock.
The other two things have more to do with math rock, but even those aren't very true about Spiderland save for one song.
Anyways, i don't know if you can really call them just post-rock if you can't point out another post-rock artist that sounded anything like spiderland-era slint before them

>>60693910
Leave

>>60693874
Sure, but is that enough? Wouldn't Glenn Branca be post rock too because of that?
>but not many other post-hardcore bands unsurprisingly
Rodan, June of 44 , maybe Fugazi
>>
>>60694072
>Rodan, June of 44 , maybe Fugazi
what have mogwai said about any of those? rodan and june of 44 were directly influenced by slint regardless

>Anyways, i don't know if you can really call them just post-rock if you can't point out another post-rock artist that sounded anything like spiderland-era slint before them
post-hardcore was an established thing, post-rock wasn't
>>
>>60692700
The digital version
>>
>>60692700
Literally anything from This Will Destroy You.
>>
>not having half-brained Avant-Math God filtered
I've never seen anybody with such obliviousness to how our language and humanities in general work make statements as authoritatively as this dimwit.
>>
>>60692700
The only other album that I see coming close is Slow Riot
>>
>>60694362
ha
hahhahahaha
You could at least try man.
>>
>>60694321
>what have mogwai said about any of those? rodan and june of 44 were directly influenced by slint regardless
My point was that they were post hardcore bands influenced by Slint.

>post-hardcore was an established thing, post-rock wasn't
And why were they a part of that movement then? They had nothing to do with contemporary first wave post rock bands.

>>60694442
>make statements as authoritatively
Go play the victim now. I'm not making any authoritative statements.
>>
>>60694493
but that's not an album
>>
File: a0461374708_16.jpg (123 KB, 700x700) Image search: [Google]
a0461374708_16.jpg
123 KB, 700x700
>>60692700
https://moiposledniekanikuly.bandcamp.com/
>>
>>60694557
Both music, idk man
>>
>>60694536
which contemporary first wave post rock bands actually sounded like each other (or however else you define being related to each other)
>>
>>60693066
>krautrock
>genre
>>
>>60694632
Not really first wave, but the genre started consolidating with Mogwai and GYBE.
The first wave bands didn't sound like each other, but at least they had key elements in common that were not present in Spiderland

>>60694662
What where Can, Amon Duul II, Faust, Neu then?
>>
>>60694682
>What where Can, Amon Duul II, Faust, Neu then?
Don't forget to add Tortoise to that list, retard.
>>
>>60694682
>What where Can, Amon Duul II, Faust, Neu then?
Progressive rock that has some Stockhausen influences. Nothing else.
>>
>>60692807
my personal favorite
>>
>>60694725
Only a retard would call somebody else a retard.

>>60694734
Except they sound nothing like other progressive rock bands (King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc).
>>
>>60694682
>Not really first wave, but the genre started consolidating with Mogwai and GYBE.
also not really relevant because i already said i see gybe as the quintessential post-rock band at this point. we're talking about first wave

>The first wave bands didn't sound like each other, but at least they had key elements in common that were not present in Spiderland
like what? from what i understand the first wave was just a handful of bands in a variety of rock genres making music within their genre that had more of an emphasis on dynamics, build up and to an extent texture
>>
>>60694807
Okay then.

>an emphasis on dynamics, build up and to an extent texture
Glenn Branca, This Heat, Can, Henry Cow, and King Crimson. They all putted more emphasis on those aspects when compared to Slint. And they were influential to the genre too. Does that mean they are post rock?
>>
>>60694784
>Except they sound nothing like other progressive rock bands (King Crimson, Yes, Genesis, etc).
They do sound a lot like Soft Machine though because of the jazz-influenced drumming.

Krautrock was a "movement" to get the attention of people from the schlagers in Germany. Some of the acts in the krautrock movement don't sound alike either.

Progressive rock has a really broad definition too, so most of krautrock projects fall under it.
>>
>>60694869
>putted
Filtered
>>
>>60694869
i thought we already established that artists like that were more dispersed chronologically and thus not part of a wider movement. talk talk, slint, tortoise, swans etc. came around a similar time (or made a dramatic stylistic change around the same time) and by the late 90s you had godspeed and mogwai influenced by those particular bands, and are now what most people understand to be post-rock today
>>
>>60694932
>They do sound a lot like Soft Machine though because of the jazz-influenced drumming.
Hmm, kind of. They are in between progressive rock and krautrock.

>Krautrock was a "movement" to get the attention of people from the schlagers in Germany
Yes. And krautrock, as a movement, featured two genres. Cosmic-Psychedelic Rock, and Electronic Stuff (which wasn't even rock).

>Progressive rock has a really broad definition too, so most of krautrock projects fall under it.
Progressive rock is the tradition of music started by bands like King Crimson and Genesis.

>>60694970
Okay then.
Would My Bloody Valentine be Post Rock then? They were around the same time as them, had influences on the genre, and fit all the stylistic elements.
>>
File: MI0002514697.jpg (40 KB, 388x400) Image search: [Google]
MI0002514697.jpg
40 KB, 388x400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0qbGX8EIFEk
>>
>>60695083
>Would My Bloody Valentine be Post Rock then? They were around the same time as them, had influences on the genre, and fit all the stylistic elements.
considering how much post-rock and shoegaze have converged in recent years (bands like marriages, les discrets etc.) i don't see why not. but again that's only possible because first wave post-rock didn't necessarily have a specific sound. only thing i will say about mbv is that underneath the effects they sounded way more like standard rock than slint, swans, tortoise or talk talk did at their core
>>
>>60695083
>They are in between progressive rock and krautrock.
no, I think it is a well-established fact that they are Canterbury progressive rock. Another separate movement which also fits under the umbrella of progressive rock.
>>60695083
>Yes. And krautrock, as a movement, featured two genres. Cosmic-Psychedelic Rock, and Electronic Stuff (which wasn't even rock).
exactly why the whole term Krautrock falls apart as a genre.
>>60695083
>Progressive rock is the tradition of music started by bands like King Crimson and Genesis.
Who stated this as a norm?

Personally, I think that all the stuff is "rock" genre and it's only important to have the words like "krautrock" to separate movements but not genres. Just a waste of time.
>>
>>60695145

>>60695180
>no, I think it is a well-established fact that they are Canterbury progressive rock. Another separate movement which also fits under the umbrella of progressive rock.
Never implied otherwise.
Progressive rock is not an umbrella term. It refers to the specific tradition of bands in the vein of King Crimson and Yes, while Krautrock is Faust and Can, Canterbury is Soft Machine and Caravan, etc

>exactly why the whole term Krautrock falls apart as a genre.
No, it doesn't. The only thing needed is to stop considering the german electronic artists krautrock and the genre remains consistent.

>Who stated this as a norm?
Call it Symphonic Prog then.

>Just a waste of time.
Then why are you even discussing it?
And no, I don't consider it a waste of time.

>>60695145
>first wave post-rock didn't necessarily have a specific sound
That's because calling them to be of a specific genre is inconsistent.

>mbv is that underneath the effects they sounded way more like standard rock than slint
Slint where pretty "standard rock" (or more exactly, not very "out there" to be considered post rock in the vein of Swans, Tortoise or Talk Talk).
>>
Haha jesus christ this trip
>>
>>60695326
aight, whatever you like dude. I can't restrict you from having opinions. Cheers.
>>
>>60695360
is a lil honeybun n v n
>>
>>60695326
>Slint where pretty "standard rock" (or more exactly, not very "out there" to be considered post rock in the vein of Swans, Tortoise or Talk Talk).
don't agree with that. they were less out there than those bands, and a lot more minimalist in their approach. unfortunately i don't really have the music vocabulary to describe slint accurately, but for me what made them stand out is the way their songs built up, how effective a little bit of distortion could be in changing the direction of a song, the spoken word vocals, and the subtle ambience at certain points in the album (usually sighs, harmonics or just unconventional quiet guitar sections).
>>
>>60695402
Sure, Slint was a great and very innovative band, but they still weren't really out there when it comes to rock structures. Also, tagging every slightly experimental rock bands from the 90s as post rock is kind of impractical.
>>
File: Post-rock.jpg (379 KB, 566x566) Image search: [Google]
Post-rock.jpg
379 KB, 566x566
could I get some recs?
I'm always looking for more post-rock
I've covered most of the essentials so far,
and these are some albums i liked recently
>>
>>60692902
>>60692902
>>60692902
>>60692902
>>
File: directions.jpg (140 KB, 1440x1080) Image search: [Google]
directions.jpg
140 KB, 1440x1080
>>60696000
Check this out. Its really underrated. In the same vein as tortoise.
>>
>>60693332
That pram album is so amazing.
>>
>>60693060
Go to bed einar
>>
>>60697194
will do
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 10

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.