[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
What's so bad about spotify?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6
File: unnamed.png (17 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
unnamed.png
17 KB, 300x300
I mean sure, the compressed bitrate sucks but it's still a great service. Why do you autists hate it?
>>
it's popular
>>
Its catalog can be limited
>>
>>60692155
And that alone makes it bad?
>>
>>60692153
it makes Viper more money than 90% of the artists on it
>>
>>60692155
this
>>
>paying some fat swedish kuk to listen to music
>>
>>60692167
/thread
>>
File: 1448734737912.png (713 KB, 1200x960) Image search: [Google]
1448734737912.png
713 KB, 1200x960
>>60692219
SPOTIFY IS FREE
>>
>>60692153
Gives your money away to a third party without actually paying the artist.
>>
>>60692246
swedish kuk still gettin paid off that ad revenue, also
>using a service to listen to music that interrupts songs with irritating comercials
>>
>>60692246
nothings free, faglord. you're the product of information gathering and marketing if whether you pay for premium or not
>>
>>60692267
Same goes for buying music ANYWHERE. Artists make money off concert tickets and merch, not their music. That all goes to the label.
>>
>>60692302
still free...
>>
>>60692353
retard
>>
>>60692353
Shut up.
>>
>>60692373
>it doesn't cost any money
>"it's not free!!!"
are people actually this autistic
>>
>>60692167
Can be

The only things it doesn't have is meme prog and shitty artists who use bandcamp
>>
>>60692323
Unless this graph is complete bullshit (which it could very well be), you're wrong. And what about the "pay what you want" option on bandcamp?
http://www.informationisbeautiful.net/2010/how-much-do-music-artists-earn-online/
>>
>>60692507
I don't see how this would prove him wrong man 150 albums per month for a SOLO artist is a fucking lot
>>
>>60692488
I would argue you're the autist here, failing to see any indirect relations in things
>>
>>60692507
I've never seen this before. Interesting.
>>
>>60692640
>indirect relations in things
>my bank account is not affected
>I'm still paying?
nope still autistic
>>
>>60692606
If people stopped using spotify it might not be that much. I dunno, i'm sticking to pirating and buying what i particularly enjoy.
>>
In order for the service to be free, don't you have to listen to ads, annoying shitty internet ads that I use a browser extension to avoid? I also haven't fully read their license agreement so I'm not entirely sure I should bother getting Spotify when I already have a what.cd account and a soulseek client.
>>
>>60692663
do you fucking know the meaning of the word indirect
>>
because just downloading music and using Windows Media Player or Foobar or whatever else is much easier
>>
>>60692751
sorry, what? I don't understand what you're trying to say
>>
>>60692153
it looks shit, has nothing i can't torrent (and doesn't have lots that i can), requires an internet connection, doesn't always scrobble properly etc,

technically it is legal, but artists don't make much money off it. best way to support artists is to actually buy their albums/merch directly and go to shows, spotify is like the worst of both worlds - you're paying but they're making less money off it.

if it suits your needs then go ahead and use it, but there are plenty of reasons not to
>>
>>60692153
>Limited catalog
>Have to pay for ad removal, and even then it still plays songs you don't want to listen to now and then
>Compressed bit rate
>No customization for the interface
I don't care if people use it, but I just buy the CDs and use YouTube if I cannot find the album on a better site. It is free to listen on there so I am alright with listening at a slightly degraded quality if it means no advertisements and shuffle playing without my consent for the first time before buying it.
>>
I thought Spotify premium was mostly 320kbps no?
>>
>>60693236
>premium
ther eit is!!!!
>>
I only use it because I get it free with my phone contract.
>>
I use what.cd and youtube
>>
>>60692153

The bitrate and codec is better than the v0s this board considers acceptable
>>
>>60692790
do you fucking know the meaning of the word pay? Because paying is something you do directly
>>
>>60692933
If people used spotify less and started buying albums, it wouldn't be so hard to support yourself as an artist.
That said, i'm for streaming as a way to explore music. No point in buying something you don't want to listen to twice.
>>
>>60693512
It's not like artists got much poorer as soon as spotify became popular man, it's really not that big yet

and yes for small artists it still would be super hard, according to that chart a trio still would have to sell 450 records a month
>>
The spotify hate on /mu/ has actually toned down a lot, compared to what it was like a year or two ago
>>
>>60693286
Fido?
>>
>>60693269
>pay 10.00 a month for hundreds of thousands of songs
>pay 10.00 for a single album
What's the better choice?
>>
because pirating your music is better
>>
>>60692353
STILL FREE CREW
>>
>>60693924
this. the money you give spotify doesn't go to the artists
>>
>>60693893
paying nothing maybe
>>
>>60693964
Well, if you don't mind ads you can do that. That's what I do.
>>
>>60693893
I pay $5 cuz im not a NEET
If the whole argument is that you dont "own the music" its not a good enough reason. Ive listened to so many many albums on this and bought the cds of the ones i thought were worthy. With premium you get 320kbps and a wide array of musicians. Though lacking some essential artists/albums. For me $5/ a month is more than worth it.
>>
File: 1395525476172.jpg (51 KB, 450x450) Image search: [Google]
1395525476172.jpg
51 KB, 450x450
>streaming music
>>
spotify hate is a literal meme lmao

i don't think anybody here knows this but you literally won't be able to tell the difference between a 320kbs and flac file

and i can prove it, put on your best headphones and do this test, NO CHEATING:

http://www.npr.org/sections/therecord/2015/06/02/411473508/how-well-can-you-hear-audio-quality

DO IT AND SHUT UP
>>
>>60692274
>2015
>does not use add block
>>
It's a cancer on the music industry that is killing creative expression in favour of advertising metrics
>>
>>60694415

Was no match for my hd650s and tube amp bb
>>
>>60694415

its very easy to tell the differnece, chances are your basement lacks the sound system/acoustics though
>>
>>60694568
>music industry
>free app
>in a capitalist economy

The fuck do you expect. Go read some entry level economics books
>>
>>60694610
the difference is so slight that it really isn't worth talking about

seriously, be honest
>>
File: LOLATYOURLIFE_zpsfdd86388.png (189 KB, 450x472) Image search: [Google]
LOLATYOURLIFE_zpsfdd86388.png
189 KB, 450x472
>streaming
>>
>>60692167
This is the only reason I don't use it. I'm not a flac autist, and I generally like the idea of streaming, but spotify barely has any music I listen too, I actually cringe at the thought of people using it as their main player and missing out on most essential music out there
>>
>they don't use spotify for music that they don't need to download to save space and for on the go listening whilst having a side flac library of al the obscure shit

absolute plebs, all of you
>>
>>60694710
Yet youre being the autist implying that your taste in music is what people should be listening to.
>>
>>60694775
Yeah, when everyone eventually uses spotify we can just erase some of the most interesting music and just about everything that's not on spotify from public reach
>>
>>60694415
almost none of the spotify hate is about sound quality
>>
>>60694852
I didnt imply any of that. I simply paraphrased what you implied. So besides your misquote, are you saying spotify isnt a solid service? Granted of course its towards the average consumer. If youre saying its not a good service soley because it lacks any artists or recordings youre into, thats only a subjective statement.
>>
>>60694956
If it lacks artists I'm into, it probably lacks much much more. Even very entry level artists were missing from spotify when I last tried to get into it, I absolutely hate being limited when searching for new artists and making playlists. I can't help but feel really bad for you're average spotify user, since they're going to be very limited when looking for new music on spotify, especially if it's their main way of consuming music.
Thread replies: 63
Thread images: 6

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.