[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Opinions? Just found this band through Fripp and Lifeson, re
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7
File: 711yosoxuoL._SL1400_.jpg (150 KB, 1400x1264) Image search: [Google]
711yosoxuoL._SL1400_.jpg
150 KB, 1400x1264
Opinions? Just found this band through Fripp and Lifeson, really great

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2NTcQffJKCk
>>
4/5
>>
>>
Really fucking boring.

This kind of stuff kept me away from Prog for years.
>>
Porcupine Tree is prog for metalheads who think they're better than what they are
>>
used to love them, had all their albums etc. but steven's influences are far more interesting than his derivations of them. also his lyrics are terrible
>>
>>60691079

tried enough of this band to know that they suck really bad. Godawful hamfisted songwriting. "Stoned at the mall the kids play and in this way wish away each day" - actual quote from this album. The only relief is the graciously long and boring instrumentals
>>
>>60691133
lmao

>>60691238
OP here, I just looked into this album and enjoyed it, haven't delved into the rest of their discography yet and I'll most likely forget this album in a week or so, but for the time being I'm enjoying this. ntm Gavin Harrison is in King Crimson currently so I'm already predispositioned to love his work, but I'll look into them more. I think I can see where you're coming from.
>>
>>60691079
I think they are a pretty good newer prog band. For some reason it is cool to hate them on /mu/. Just dont buy into that shit and listen for urself. If you are into KC and shit like they you'll dig them. This album is probably my favorite one. You should also check out SW's solo album Hand Cannot Erase is pretty good.
>>
>>60691899
Great band. I like their sound.
>>
>>60692823
Yeah, they're hated now here, and that's strange to me because when I came here for the forst time, afewyears ago, looking for some good current rock music, they were mentioned at least 10 times. I don't know what happened in the meantime that they became so hated.
>>
>>60691079
MY XBOX
>>
>>60693018
They're more popular now
>>
File: insurgentes.jpg (28 KB, 339x309) Image search: [Google]
insurgentes.jpg
28 KB, 339x309
I think the way my taste has developed over the years can be traced to my PT fandom. The long almost trancey/ psychedelia of his early stuff, the pop of Stupid Dream/ Lightbulb Sun era, the catchy riffing of latter day era and the always present ambient/ post-rock style interludes and nods to classic prog... all that together pretty much sums up my present taste.

They're easy targets because their most well-known music is very accessible riff based stuff, their frontman and fanbase are massive nerds and the lyrics are admittedly dodgy at times (FOABP is the pits in that regard). It's basically Rush syndrome.

I don't expect SW to ever be popular round here again but his music is very important to me and I continue to be a fan even now. Something about his chord progressions and melodies just sits well with me. Either you like it or you don't.
>>
Fear of a Blank Planet is their best album. The atmosphere is fantastic. 9/10
>>
/mu/ got really harsh on PT shortly after Fandango reviewed Raven. Prior to that they had a modest but generally positive following on here, then suddenly every thread was filled with 'le boring sterile derivative' fags.

Still, good to know that people here can form their own opinions
>>
>>60693575
fuck that fat idiot
>>
>>60691079
What's with all the Porcupine Treads recently?
>>
AAAAAAAAAYOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO AYYYOOO
>disses boybands
SO HOL UP HOL UP
>gets barefoot on stage
SO U BE SAYIN
>acts edgy
SO HOL UP U BE SAYIN
>sings about trains
AAAYYYOOO SO U BE SAYIN
>remasters Gentle Giant
U BE SAYIN
>worships Xbox
HOL UP HOL UP
>samples Marshall Applewhite
AYYYOO U BE SAYIN
>sings behind a curtain
SO U BE SAYIN
>calls Coldplay wankers
HOL UP SO U BE SAYIN
>makes another side project nobody cares about
WE GON BE
>smashes iPods
FINNA WE GON BE
>gets depressed
AYYYOO HOL UP WE GON BE
>makes a sad cartoon music video
SO WE GON BE
>stops swimming
SO U SAYIN WE GON BE
>hates his generation
SOM FINNA
>fellates Robert Fripp
SO WE GON BE
>gets dumped again
SOM FINNA
>takes LSD once
AYYYOO SOM FINA
>references shitty arthouse director
HOL UP
>skims through record collection
WE GON BE
>listens to The Bends
SOM FINNA
>draws the line
WE GON BE
>acts autistic
SOM FINNA
>visits Disneyland
HOL UP MUH NIGGUH
>sleeps with Akerfeldt
U SAYING WE GON BE
>insults his label
DROPPIN NEW PT ALBUM?
>doesn't
>>
>>60693018
/mu/ despises prog now
>>
File: mu.png (3 KB, 164x76) Image search: [Google]
mu.png
3 KB, 164x76
>>60693617
Yea, how come non meme-rappers and BNM Indie bands are talked about? What a disgrace to this board.
>>
Porcupine Tree is a good band but my dad who is a huge prog fan now thinks they and Steve Wilson are the second coming of Christ and it's just kinda annoying even though I enjoy the band but he literally will not stop fucking talking about them, it's like the fanbase makes them infinitely better than they are
>>
File: 1438876707872.png (234 KB, 392x377) Image search: [Google]
1438876707872.png
234 KB, 392x377
>>60693662
How can one man dedicate so much time to shitposting
>>
xbox
is
a
god
to
me
>>
>I steal gun to kill time

Damn...
>>
>>60693761
who cares? let him. u dont have to worship steve wilson
>>
>>60693763
He's right though
>>
>>60693808
yeah I do it's pretty cool that he likes them tbf but damn i wish he'd stop talking about them! literally 7 days in a row about this one band
>>
>>60693830
That pasta was obviously made by a fan because a hater doesn't know this much about him
>>
>>60691079
I actually love them. I get why people here dislike them - SW has made albums in a lot of different prog styles (psych, krautrock, metal, symphonic etc.) but as individual albums they're all kind of copy-cats of each individual genre. On the other hand, a band like The Mars Volta tends to make each song or album a blend of their influences, which in turn makes the end product more original and unique.

Still, I appreciate that Wilson has been able to express himself so well in a variety of styles, and I don't think he's completely devoid of a distinct sound. His albums are also incredibly well produced, especially the more recent stuff and his remasters of earlier prog albums. Only thing I really dislike are his lyrics, which range from being cringeworthy to the point of ruining an album to passable.

As someone who just really enjoys well-produced prog, I can't help but just enjoy everything from In Absentia onwards (and the psych albums, for different reasons).
>>
>>60691368
How would you consider that "hamfisted" songwriting, I wonder? The entire record is a critique of idle, apathetic, over-medicated youth. The line you quoted is one of several from FOABP that rather succinctly illustrate that, and certainly not in an indelicate manner.

If your criticism of PT is limited to "they suck really bad", I would urge you to go back and spend some more time with their material. Many negative things can be said about Steven Wilson, but he's far from being a poor songwriter.
>>
>>60694414
his 'critiques' are still that of a forty year old man who doesn't understand much of the youth anyway

he just sounds like a concerned mom who thinks video games directly cause school shootings

I love porcupine tree for their sound but they really shouldn't let steven write all their lyrics
>>
File: in_absentia.jpg (434 KB, 1699x1496) Image search: [Google]
in_absentia.jpg
434 KB, 1699x1496
In Absentia is one of the greatest pop metal albums of all time, and I mean that in the best way possible.
>>
>>60694809
I agree, it's up there with October Rust
Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.