[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
CD vs Vinyl
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3
File: cassette-20blank-20photo.jpg (19 KB, 543x350) Image search: [Google]
cassette-20blank-20photo.jpg
19 KB, 543x350
Time to settle this debate once and for all. No memeing allowed.

I prefer CD
>reflects a more accurate reproduction of what the artist intended his/her work to sound like
>more affordable
>trendy
>>
>trendy

???????????????

no one buys cds anymore
>>
Why not both?
>>
>>60689414
Vinyls are trendy, CDs arent. Actually, when I see people buying vinyl I can't tell if they're truly passionate about it or just image obsessed children.
>>
>>60689414
That's a cassette retard
>>
>>60689414
>Vinyl
No loudness-war modifications (varies for each label/band)
Sometimes rare versions, error pressings etc, that didnt make it to CD
RIAA equalization curve

>CD
No inner groove distoration
easy to manipulate and examine tracks
No chance of dust/dirt messing with sound.

>Cassette
retarded stepson of reel to reel and studio tapes
>>
>>60689414
>CD
>trendy

Anyway, I think the only reason for owning physical music in 2015 is to have some kind of experience or physical attachment to it, and vinyl is pretty obviously the winner there.
>Huge art
>More potential for creative packaging
>Less plastic
>The record itself looks cooler
>Played by lowering a needle onto a spinning disc, as opposed to putting into an enclosed player and pressing "play"

I also really like cassettes for basically the opposite reason: they feel like collectibles that quantify your attachment to a certain band.
>>
>>60689565
but my cd deck has a 5 disk tray and it takes a few seconds for it to load

ctfu, it isn't a "putting into an enclosed player and pressing "play" "

dumb faggot
>>
File: system.jpg (1 MB, 2297x2448) Image search: [Google]
system.jpg
1 MB, 2297x2448
I enjoy all kinds
>>
>>60689565

>Huge art
Sure.

As much as CDs in my opinion, only very little explored.

>Less plastic
I'm pretty sure a single 12-inch contains more petroleum than a CD and a jewel case.

Sure.

>Played by lowering a needle onto a spinning disc, as opposed to putting into an enclosed player and pressing "play"
So vinyl is all about "the experience"
>>
>>60689414
CD's aren't really a thing for physical media, it's digital media burned onto a disc, and I'm not even a vinylfag.
>>
I prefer digital and vinyl over cd, especially if the cd's come in jewel cases. I fuckin hate jewel cases, because in my care they get all scratched and cracked, and dirty.
>>
>>60689716
Jewel cases a shit.

When selling CDs you assume the buyer will rip it and keep the art and throw the CD away.
>>
>>60689704

The way audio CDs (and every CD/DVD-ROM, really) are manufactured is very similar to vinyl.
>>
>>60689749
Well yes, but I don't see what this has to do with it.
>>
>>60689779
A CD is digitally converted to an analog audio signal.
>>
>>60689716
>>60689741

Jewel cases offer better protection than digipaks, while digipaks look nicer.

If a jewel case breaks, you can always replace it.
>>
having a good DAC in the CD days was crucial
>>
>>60689414
>>60689449
This DESU. I buy CDs more because they are easier to manage, but if money allows for it I get some vinyls. I have a rule that 6/10 or higher I will get a CD for it, and if its a 9/10 or higher (or I will drop to a 7/10 if it is on sale or something) then I get a vinyl. I haven't the money to buy a vinyl player or amazing CD player (and the latter isn't even worth it really) so I just rip it on my laptop and convert to FLAC.
>>
>>60689414
I usually buy cd, I think it's just as trendy as vinyl. If it's some really crazy cool sounding album and has sick cover art or if it's one of those albums that's so strong it managed to put me into a "phase", I'll probably buy the vinyl. Basically, if something clearly stands out to me and sounds really exciting, I'll get the vinyl. If it's just an album I really like, but didn't affect me psychologically or whatever (or if it's not directly tied into an experience or time I've had etc) I'll get the CD.
>>
Figure this is a good place to ask

Sister wants to get into vinyl, so I thought I'd get her a player for Christmas. I know shit all about them, any models/brand names you guys could throw out?
>>
>>60690629
Jensen and Crosley
>>
Cassettes for myself:

1. Though they do age I listen to my dad's tapes from the 80s that still have accurate pitch and bass, they hardly sound noisy at all in the car.
2. They force me to listen to a full album moreso than CD or vinyl
3. They can be reused for personal recording and modded for sound-on-sound effects in ways CD or vinyl can't touch at all.
>>
>>60690629

Don't listen to >>60690676, if you're buying new, you can get at least either the AT-LP120 or U-Turn Orbit.
>>
>>60689666
>devil trips

Comfy setup m8
>>
something that no one really mentions is how CDs are actually able to be played in the car, which is the time that I always listen to music. That's probably the main reason why I buy more CDs than vinyl nowadays
>>
>>60689414
CD is inferior to loseless files though.
>>
File: d1.png (262 KB, 304x298) Image search: [Google]
d1.png
262 KB, 304x298
>>60690962

wew
>>
>>60690974
cd = 16 bit = super nintendo
files = 32 bit = sega saturn

you wanna listen with power kid? files have twice the number of bits.
>>
>>60689565
>I think the only reason for owning physical music in 2015 is to have some kind of experience or physical attachment to it
You won't say that if a hard drive pops and you have to remember every site you ever downloaded music from to get your collection back
>>
I collect CDs. More affordable and I listen to music only on my PC anyway. I can rip the CDs for best quality. Also they take less space. I like that is a small and convenient package.
>>
>>60691024
When anyone ever says CDs are better than lossless files I simply scoff and say "Sega does what Nintendon't"
>>
>>60691107
yeah, and I could play them in my car if I wanted to
>>
>>60689716
>>60689741

>>60689868
>If a jewel case breaks, you can always replace it.
This is why I love jewel cases. I buy most of my CDs off the internet, and post a shit so the cases are often cracked, but it doesn't matter because spare cases are like 50p each.

I dread to think how often people get cracked vinyl in the post.
>>
>>60691131
>I could play them in my car if I wanted to
this this this this this this this
>>
>>60689565
What a huge faggot you are.

>Huge art
Get a free promo poster if you care so much.
Also more potential that the packaging fucks up your record. Exhibit A) the Father John Misty deluxe edition with the pop up that had to be recalled because it warped the record.
>Less plastic
digipacks aren't plastic. Also ironic you say that considering records are made of polyvinyl chloride plastic.
Subjective. You can print art onto cds which can make them look cool too.
You can easily skip songs or rewind to listen to your favorite track again on cd. Imagine being so moved by a song you want to hear it again or not being in the mood for something and wanting to skip it. It's arduous with vinyl but with cd it's just a click of a button to have the listening experience you want.
>>
>>60691182
>>Played by lowering a needle onto a spinning disc, as opposed to putting into an enclosed player and pressing "play"
>You can easily skip songs or rewind to listen to your favorite track again on cd. Imagine being so moved by a song you want to hear it again or not being in the mood for something and wanting to skip it. It's arduous with vinyl but with cd it's just a click of a button to have the listening experience you want.

Uhh, it's only hard on vinyl if you don't understand that the little darker circles divide each song Try skipping to the middle of a 23 minute song on a cd and tell me how much easier it is than dropping the needle at any point on a record
>inb4 listening to a cd on your computer
>>
>>60689414
I like CDs more, personally. Mostly because I don't have the money to buy Vinyls.
>>
>>60691285
>>inb4 listening to a cd on your computer
I don't know how long you've been here but saying >inb4 doesn't discount a completely valid argument. There's no difference between a CD player and a CD drive on a computer.
>>
>>60690676
>>60690812
thanks
>>
>>60691314
Garage sales homie, my 25 cent coltrane LP's hardly broke the bank
>>
>>60689666
SATAN TRIPS
>>
>>60689492
kekekek
>>
>>60689971
Converting to FLAC does fucking nothing
>>
>>60691339
yeah, but by that logic you could also rip the vinyl to a computer and play it on there

>There's no difference between a CD player and a CD drive on a computer

there is a difference, most CD players only have a fast forward function, thus highlighting the problem I was trying to illustrate
>>
>>60691140

>I dread to think how often people get cracked vinyl in the post.

I think this is a rare thing to happen. At most, you'd get seam splits, and that's also easy to avoid if packaged correctly. Besides, this is vinyl, not shellac, where shit actually breaks.
>>
>>60689666
Call me a pleb but why the fuck are those speakers like that?
>>
>>60689432
They sell way better then records and tapes. You just are confused since they aren't popular with the hipsters of /mu/.
>>
>>60691314
Records are cheap as shit though. Just don't buy trendy garbage that is popular with the wanna be hipsters on this site and you can get tons of great records for $1 each or less.
Thread replies: 49
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.