[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
How is this Grunge? This just sounds like typical 70s rock. I
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 2
File: Front.jpg (313 KB, 1410x1390) Image search: [Google]
Front.jpg
313 KB, 1410x1390
How is this Grunge? This just sounds like typical 70s rock. I don't mean like cool ass crazy late 60s Jimi Hendrix type rock, I mean like 70s... Basic... Basic... Basic... Basic.. Very basic rock..
>>
>>60669101
Aside from "Reach Down" which is actually kind of cool, but still not that incredible. Why is this album so highly rated? Also, why is this considered a "guitar-wankery" album when the only song with real guitar murder is "Reach Down"?
>>
Because Grunge isn't a genre of music, it's a scene and a fashion style/aesthetic.
>>
>>60669155
So what music (without being a dick) do you recommend to someone who likes In Utero by Nirvana?
>inb4 "good music" as well as any and every blunt joke response in existence
>>
>>60669446
>inb4 someone literally responds with "every blunt joke response in existence"
>>
>>60669145
Say Hello 2 Heaven was a total balls out introspective song that touched millions of listeners.
>>
>>60669446
shellac - at action park
jesus lizard - goat & liar
pixies - surfer rosa
breeders - pod
dinosaur jr - you're living all over me
>>
>>60669446
you should listen to some mid-late 80s independent rock music like killdozer and scratch acid. stuff like that has more in common with in utero than any "Grunge" groups from the 90s
>>
>>60669485
Hahahahahaa, that song was generic as HELL.
Sorry but it's how I felt

>>60669495
Thanks!
Funnily enough I was just about to listen to You're Living All Over Me, bet I'll love it.
>>
>>60669101
It sucks desu. And I love Soundgarden and Pearl Jam is pretty alright.
>>
>>60669526
Ah, I see. I was too taken with the "Grunge" term I guess.

>>60669536
Alright, I guess I just made a bad choice with this one then. On to the next!
>>
>>60669534
Apology not excepted, faggot. I hope you hate You're Living All Over Me- a total fucking philistine like yourself doesn't deserve to like that.
>>
>>60669554
>Alright, I guess I just made a bad choice with this one then. On to the next!
If you haven't listened to Soundgarden, you ought to. Superunknown and Down on the Upside are the two best things to come out of the entire grunge scene next to In Utero.
>>
>>60669582
haha agression
>>
>>60669591
that and the earlier soundgarden albums
they basically have two good eras: pre-arena sell outs and post-arena sell outs. their 1990-1993 streak sucks like shit
>>
>>60669101
It's from the Grunge scene. Grunge is a scene. Also it's a 9/10
>>
>>60669641
big words from anonymous
>>
>>60669639
I'm not a huge Badmotorfinger fan but it's got some good songs. Louder Than Love is the same. Gun and Loud Love are two of their best.
>>
>>60669620
If you hate aggression, this music is not for you faggot.
>>
>>60669639
Woah there, Badmotorfinger was their best live era, Chris' voice was at its best.
>>
>>60669716
>live
Doesn't mean the songwriting was any good. Room A Thousand Years Wide and Holy Water are the only really notable songs on that record imo
>>
>>60669534
oh and more suggestions:
melvins - bullhead and eggnog
black flag - my war
butthole surfers - first EP, psychic powerless another man's sac and locust abortion technician
scratch acid - greatest gift

these were BIG influences on kurt cobain

>>60669716
yeah he sounded good but the songs he sings on are mediocre. both ultramega ok and superunknown have much better songs, like beyond the wheel and limo wreck
>>
>>60669745
>not Drawing Flies
>not Jesus Christ Pose
>not Outshined
>not Slaves and Bulldozers
Congratulations on not knowing what the fuck you are talking about.
>>
>>60669745
It doesn't indeed. But still, the songwriting was good. The only bad song is Searching With My Good Eye Closed, and still.
>>
>>60669805
>I have different taste than you so you clearly don't know what you're talking about
Badmotorfinger sucks compared to Ultramega OK and everything after it kiddo
>>
>>60669805
jesus christ pose and outshined are shitty arena metal songs, fuck off you shitty poser
>>
>>60669788
Thanks for the recs!
>>
>>60669788
Ultramega OK was exactly what the title was about. The album lacked of something. Screaming life was better than U-OK. I would say that BMF is objectively better than U-OK.

Also, good point for quoting Limo Wreck.
>>
File: soundgarden_king_animal_0.jpg (331 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
soundgarden_king_animal_0.jpg
331 KB, 600x600
Can we all agree this was pretty good? Way better than it should have been. Ignoring Halfway There.

>>60669867
>Ultramega OK was exactly what the title was about. The album lacked of something.
The title was referring to the production. The songs were good but the sound was pretty bad.
>>
>>60669867
>Screaming life was better than U-OK.
only thing i agreed on your post. weird, since most people seem to hate screaming life, which is why i didn't mention it at all
also the deep six tracks are GOAT
HERETICCCC
WIIIIIIITCCHHHH
>>
>>60669837
>unironically using the word "poser"
Consider suicide, or grow up. Whichever is easier.

>>60669822
Badmotorfinger is a much more accomplished and versatile record than those one or two diarreha-cock rock albums that so-called "Soundgarden purists" hold to a higher esteem. When they laid off the weed and started actually giving a shit in the studio the songs became infinitely more commanding and powerful. Even a minor track like Somewhere does more for a discerning listener than Loud Love ever could.
>>
>>60669948
great post
>>
>>60669923
How I agree on that. They should've made more albums of collected demos instead of keeping them apart as b-sides.
>>
>>60669916
it was pretty meh after all these years

>>60669945
>Badmotorfinger is a much more accomplished and versatile record than those one or two diarreha-cock rock albums
>accomplished and versatile
lol
muh mainstream production
no one watches mtv anymore, it's 2015 m8. i really don't understand why you have these bitchy shitty opinions
soundgarden was a cool band that mixed metal and punk and sounded exactly like it, which was great. then they sold out and sounded like buttrock. finally they stopped giving a shit and put out two pretty good albums. and that was it. no need for this edgyness my friend
>>
>>60670010
totally. and that heretic re-recording sound terrible compared to the original
>>
>>60670013
>no need for this edgyness my friend
>says the guy who likes their shitty albums on purpose when Badmotorfinger is head and shoulders above them
Okay kid. Go ahead and tell me what year it is while jerking off to the abortion that is Big Dumb Sex.
>HURRR GRUNGE IS JUST METAL AND PUNK
I bet you actually got mad when the Black Album wasn't just And Justice for All 2. Total faggot.
>>
>>60669945
I think the fact that every song of Louder Than Live is radio-unfriendly makes this album incredible. Melodies on that album are weird, like I Awake for example. It's insane to come up with that songwriting.
>>
>>60670089
>I think the fact that every song of Louder Than Live is radio-unfriendly makes this album incredible.
Except that isn't true and songs like Full on Kevin's Mom and Loud Love are totally easy and "radio friendly" melodies.
>>
>>60670051
I didn't know about re-recordings? Do you have a link? I'm a huge SG fan but I've been really disappointed with the mastering of the songs off Echo of Miles. Maybe that's what you're reffering to?
>>
>>60670121
I wouldn't call Full On Kevin's Mom radio-friendly. I wanted to say that this album doesn't really have single material.
>>
>>60670077
>>HURRR GRUNGE IS JUST METAL AND PUNK
are you stupid or something
when did i say that you mouthbreather
there was no such thing as "grunge" when soundgarden started. they just got lumped into that scene. when they started, they were mixing metal and punk like i said.
>Badmotorfinger is head and shoulders above them
not really
>while jerking off to the abortion that is Big Dumb Sex
but that's from louder than love, which sucks
>Total faggot.
lmao no need for need for this saltyness m8

>>60670129
it's on their "loudest love" ep
>>
>>60670077
>Big Dumb Sex.
Big Dumb Sex is ironic shitposting: the song
>>
>>60670298
it's even more shitty by the fact that guns n' roses (a band that plays a genre they are trying to ridicule with that song) covered that song
>>
>>60669155
This
>>
>>60670379
Thanks for the contribution you stupid fucking tripfag. Filtered.
>>
Okay but really why is this album so highly rated

https://rateyourmusic.com/release/album/temple_of_the_dog/temple_of_the_dog/

It's not nearly good enough to have that high of a rating
>>
>>60670437
This album being the one I've listened to the most, I can say that this an excellent album. You can feel the musicianship through the songs, sound is great, Chris' vocal parts are incredible.

It's the soul side of the album, mixed to the classic rock side, that makes this album very good. It's basically Ten's predecessor.
>>
>>60670556
Ten is shit
>>
>>60670437
yes, overrated but not as much as Nirvana discography
>>
>>60670565
Here's your (You)
>>
>>60670565
It's lovely to discuss with you
>>
>>60670556
...How can you say those vocals are incredible?
I'm not even going to clarify what I mean, if anyone doesn't know what I'm talking about then just go listen to a song, ANY SONG, off the album.. His vocals are so generic it should be a crime.
You think they are "incredible"? Don't worry, I'm not one of these assholes who personally insults people over music tastes but I have to say I heftily disagree with you.

>>60670600
Completely wrong.
I'm not even saying Nirvana isn't overrated
(I think any artist that gets THAT MUCH attention is automatically overrated no matter how good they are)
but I disagree that it's not as overrated. Because while clearly Nirvana is held in much higher and more popular regard than Temple of the Dog, Nirvana at least somewhat (at-least SOOOOOMEwhat) earned it. Temple of the Dog only deserves to be called basic rock.
>>
>>60670796
As far as I can tell, the only negative thing you can say about anything is "generic", and then you try to be cool by saying things like "every popular musician is overrated". You're a joke man.
>>
>>60669155
By that definition so is pretty much any genre/sub genre in existence.
>>
>>60670890
ad hominem
>>
>>60670974
His unwarranted self-importance really speaks for itself.
>>
>>60670890
Either you don't know what generic means, you didn't listen to any song off of Temple of the Dog, or both.
Otherwise, you'd get how those vocals are *cough cough* GENERIC!
>>
>>60670796
Yeah, Four Walled World man, so generic. No srsly don't tell me those vocals are generic.
>>
>>60671005
Thanks for totally explaining your viewpoint
>DUDE JUST LISTEN TO IT MAN GAAAAAH I CAN'T EXPLAIN FUCK OFF
>>
>>60670948
but Grunge isn't a description of the sound, but the time and place when a bunch of intermingled musicians who were friends, bandmates and rivals played live, recorded and jammed with one another.
>>
>>60671005
Who's voice is Cornell's similar too then? I'd love some more.
>>
>>60670890
Trying to be cool.. Sure.. Or maybe, you know, that's just what I believe?
Does Pink Floyd (a band I love!) really deserve the level of praise they get? No. Does Nirvana? No. Do The Beatles? Hell no.
I'm not trying to be edgy or cool, I'm pointing out that in the grand scheme of music these artists shouldn't be harboring majority of all musical praise. Is that really so hard to get?
>>
>>60671005
Name one album with the same vocals..
>>
>>60671084
I think PF and the Beatles are rated adequately, Nirvana just popularized the sounds of the underground
>>
>>60671084
>I'm not trying to be edgy or cool
Except you totally are. Who are you to judge what level of praise a musician should receive? You're just upset that people like hold certain things to a higher esteem than you, so you try and turn it around saying that you're better than them because you "think differently". Go be a special snowflake in another thread and think twice before leveling a weak insult at your betters i.e. Chris Cornell.
>>
>>60671051
While I agree with you, I tend to think that albums like Ultramega OK or Return To Olympus are pure Grunge, don't you think? What would you call them otherwise?
>>
>>60671029
I reread the post you responded to, I couldn't find the quote you quoted. I think you're misquoting or lying.

>>60671020
Uh.. Yes? It just sounds like Led Zeppelin wannabe, which is what a lot of blander rock vocals sound like.

>>60671079
Aerosmith.
>>
>>60671051
>but Grunge isn't a description of the sound
Sounds a lot like punk or just about every other sub genre.
>>
>>60671133
>all of aerosmith
learn something new I guess
>>
>>60670077
>the abortion that is Big Dumb Sex.
That riff is fucking incredible and the song was intended to mock 80s cockrock bands.
>>
>>60671084
nirvana is generic as fuck.
>>
>>60671123
When did I say I'm better than anyone?
When did I say I "think differently"?
You're not even trying! You just ignore what I say and continue with the "you're edgy" argument!
I explained myself perfectly well, if you're still running with that then you must just be trolling or stupid.

Also, I never "insulted" Chris Cornell. This is something you should perhaps realize in MUSIC DISCUSSION. When someone voices something they dislike about certain music, they usually aren't INSULTING they are CRITICIZING. You can't discuss music without insulting people?
>>
>>60671133
It's a tribute album for someone who died. Of course you won't find the punk or doom sound you could find on other albums. But it still sounds nothing like Led Zeppelin.
Thread replies: 74
Thread images: 2

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.