[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/mu/ I've never really liked anything I've heard by
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3
/mu/ I've never really liked anything I've heard by Bob Dylan, but I feel like I haven't listened to him enough. Which album should I start with? Willing to accept malicious replies for my negligence.
>>
I don't like him either but Desolation Row is a fantastic song.
>>
What kind of music do you normally like most?
The good thing about Dylan is that he's played around with a few styles and themes.
>>
>>60663322
Highway 61 Revisited
>>
>>60663340
OP here, I've heard that one too and rather like it
>>
>>60663357
If it helps I've listened to The Band a lot recently and my housemate says to go for Nashville Skyline but I was wondering if there's something more poignant/highly regarded I should listen to first
>>
>>60663421
Okay cool. In that case you might be best off starting with The Basement Tapes (Dylan and The Band)
Nashville Skyline is actually my second favourite Dylan album. If you like good concise country then definitely try it.

Desire is another great album, some incredible production and guest musicians.

Some random songs you may or may not like
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tAPv7xWQzgs
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDC0b7rfK5U
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2s32xBUUWo

Just don't be intimidated by the back catalogue. Casually listen to some stuff and see if anything sticks.
>>
>>60663483
That is a more thorough answer than I could've hoped for, thank you very much.
>>
Is Dylan a worthwile artist if I'm not really into lyrics?
I appreciate good lyrics, and they make me lye a good track more. They help make a "meh" track a "good enough" track. But if I don't like the music itself then I won't bother with it even if the lyrics speak to me.
>>
>>60663497
No worries, familia.

>>60663510
He's more known for his lyricism above anything else. For a long time his albums were very poorly recorded/engineered and what little instrumental work he's done is mostly forgotten about by most people. That being said, over the course of his career, he's tried a lot of different things lyrically. From the early protesty, simplistic lyrics through his esoteric, druggy stuff onto more straightforward and autobiographical stuff. Some of my favourite Dylan work is when he writes biographical songs about real people.
>>
>>60663322
bootleg series
>>
nashville skyline
>>
>>60663510
Yes.

Highway 61 Revisited, Blonde on Blonde, Nashville Skyline, Desire. Great arrangements and production.
>>
Highway 61 Revisited is where I would start. The Basement Tapes are right up your alley if you like the Band of course
>>
>>60663510
Dylan does a fair bit of surrealism and dada lyrics at certain stages. Alot of times its enough to listen to his tone of voice and the sounds of the words themselves, rather than their literal meaning or relation to each other
>>
>>60663322
Most of his albums are shit, first ones are 2 boringly folk and commie protest songs, then he changes to the complete opposite being a rockstar who doesn't give a shit about harmony or whatsoever.
Anyway i think Desire sounds nice in every song and it's a decent album overall, it has some great violin motifs which sound incredibly great with his harmonica
>>
>>60663322
I'll find a chart about Dylan
Personally I really liked anything he did with The Band as you were a fan of (basement tapes, planet waves etc) and his less discussed 70's stuff New Morning, or 80's stuff Oh Mercy.
>>
Everything bolded on rym, including the Bootleg Series is worth a listen.
>>60664651
That chart is a joke, if it's the one that's usually posted on /mu/.
>>
File: 1376768147581.png (885 KB, 1600x1200) Image search: [Google]
1376768147581.png
885 KB, 1600x1200
Chart
>>
File: tfw gf approaching.jpg (98 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
tfw gf approaching.jpg
98 KB, 500x500
>>60664668
Already posted it, looks like im a dope
Thread replies: 20
Thread images: 3

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.