[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
can I really enjoy this album without being a waifufag?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7
File: image.jpg (60 KB, 450x407) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
60 KB, 450x407
can I really enjoy this album without being a waifufag?
>>
Meme hair
>>
>>60663239
If you don't enjoy it you are not a pleb, be happy.
>>
choke her pencil neck
>>
Yes. You have to try your hardest to listen to the music without sexualizing her appearance. This is how most normal people listen to music.
>>
>>60663239
Marry Me is the only St Vincent album you can enjoy and still be patrician
>>
I fucking hate her voice and the majority of her lyrics. I'd probably enjoy her music otherwise.
>>
>>60663325
>>60663260
Also stop caring about whether liking something makes you "patrician" or a "pleb"

Keep in mind that the majority of this board has autism.
>>
>>60663371
>Also stop caring about whether liking something makes you "patrician" or a "pleb"
It's an effective way of avoiding horrible albums and mantaining self decency.
>>
>>60663398
If you like something then it's not "horrible" to you, you dip.

And the only people that care about their image on a weeaboo image board are the worst kind of autists. The exact same kind of people that judge female musicians by their appearance.
>>
>>60663439
>If you like something then it's not "horrible" to you, you dip.
I mean it in the way that it's horribly generic music, you have to train your ears not like that and enjoy the avant garde. It's the best in the long run.
>And the only people that care about their image on a weeaboo image board are the worst kind of autists.
I don't do it for my image on /mu/, I do it for myself.
>The exact same kind of people that judge female musicians by their appearance.
Glad I don't.
>>
>>60663398
self decency in what? Liking Neutral Milk Hotel doesn't give you the moral high ground.
>>
>>60663239
Yes you can. Don't listen to this autistic board. If you enjoy something, enjoy it no matter what others may say.
>>
According to this shitty board: if you like a female artist's music = waifufag. No comment.
>>
>>60663720
To be fair, the majority of users here suspiciously only listen to female artists that are attractive. They also rarely talk about the actual music. The opposite extreme (all females are "waifus") is just as bad though.

I think asking /mu/'s permission to listen to anything is pretty pathetic though, regarding OP.
>>
>>60663720
Well, it's true, unless you are a female yourself. Females are wholly inferior to men when it comes to creating music. The only reason a man would seek out female musicians is because he is infatuated with their appearance or the ~indie girl~ fantasy he has projected onto them.
>>
>>60663784
sounds like you're projecting a fantasy of your own there m8
>>
>>60663784
>Females are wholly inferior to men when it comes to creating music.
WTF? Are you for real? When did you left the cave?
>>
>>60663784
Do you think we should stone women for making music as well, Muhammad?
>>
>>60663782
>To be fair, the majority of users here suspiciously only listen to female artists that are attractive. They also rarely talk about the actual music
There are blatant cases, but there are also many users that simply don't care about an artist's appearance. Or if they care, they put it on a second level, after music.

To me it seems really pathetic to listen to an artist just because of his or her look.
>>
>>60663854
>>60663818
>>60663800
Sometimes I forget that /mu/ is infested with Tumblr kids - thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>60663250
She really does have beautiful hair though.
>>
>>60663917
>people called me an asshole for my retarded, uninformed opinions?
>t-t-t-tumblr!!!!
>>
>>60663917
sometimes I forget this board is infested with angsty /pol/tards
thanks for reminding me.
>>
>>60663917
When you're called out on your bullshit you cry "Tumblr kids"? Pathetic.
>>
>>60663784
What a dumb and uninformed post. The only reason that men are "superior" when it comes to creating music is that music, like most of the arts, has been dominated by men for centuries. Women's liberation has only really started coming a long way since about the 60s. Not to mention the entirely subjective quality of "good" music tends to be dictated by men. It's self perpetuating.

But even if I give you the fact that there are more male musicians than female (which is undeniably true), that doesn't mean that no female musicians are good. That doesn't even logically follow.
>>
>>60663978
>>60664063
>>60664079
"Called out"? You haven't even attempted to argue with me. All you've posted are variations on "I'm offended by this". What is there to debate?

>>60664154
Idiotic historical revisionism. Do you think there were roving bands of policemen ready to lock women up if they picked up a lute or a paintbrush? Women have always had the same opportunities as men to create art. Perhaps moreso, because women were kept from doing hard manual labour and had much more leisure time than men. And certainly moreso today - just look at how Pitchfork and their acolytes shit their pants over every mediocre female like Grimes, Joanna Newsom, Julia Holter, etc. The reason why these female "artists" rarely gain recognition is simply that they create poor art.
>>
>>60664331
>Do you think there were roving bands of policemen ready to lock women up if they picked up a lute or a paintbrush?
No, I think women rarely had agency.

>Women have always had the same opportunities as men to create art.
I'm not even sure where to start with this. Do you actually believe this?

>Perhaps moreso, because women were kept from doing hard manual labour and had much more leisure time than men.
By this logic women must have had more opportunity to become literary, because fuck education or wealth, all you need is "free time," and historically women have never been working peasants, housewives or full time mothers. Nope, they just took it easy and lounged around doing nothing. What was that term you used? Historical revisionism?

Ironically, the women who actually had "leisure time," ya know, the wealthy and powerful minority often did create art.

>just look at how Pitchfork and their acolytes shit their pants over every mediocre female like Grimes, Joanna Newsom, Julia Holter, etc.
Perhaps you should look past a popular music publication for your opinions of women in the arts.
>>
>>60664331
>Julia Holter
>Grimes
>mediocre
Your opinion is mediocre.
>>
>>60664331
Actually yeah, women WERE punished in many places for engaging in the arts and attempting to make a living. In Catholic Spain, a great female author whose name escapes me was forced to burn all her manuscripts when it was found out she was a woman. Many poets published anonymously for fear of repercussion. The only way a woman was safe in these professions was to be something like a troubadour, the duties of which often went far beyond song and dance, and into the realm of prostitution.
>>
>>60664331
How many of these women with "leisure time" were trained in the arts? You'd have to be a fool if you think women had the same educational opportunities as men.
>>
>>60664331
>"Called out"? You haven't even attempted to argue with me. All you've posted are variations on "I'm offended by this". What is there to debate?
To be fair your original post was pretty asinine but people did take the bait and you've got yourself a shitty debate.
>>
>>60663325
strange mercy is objectively her best

marry me/actor is just music theatre undergrad shit
>>
>>60664624
>strange mercy is objectively her best
>OBJECTIVELY
>marry me/actor is just music theatre undergrad shit
lol. You can't be serious.
>>
>>60664331
>mediocre female like Grimes, Joanna Newsom, Julia Holter
kill yourself
>>
all of you niggas need to chill the fuck out.
>>
>>60665220
Sorry about your shit taste. There are plenty of good female musicians but those three are fucking awful. Joanna Newsom in particular is gimmicky, cartoonish garbage that should be grouped with crap like Emilie Autumn instead of actually good folk artists
>>
>>60665404
Tons of people don't like actual good music, you're just one of them. There's no shame in that :)
>>
>>60664154
>The only reason that men are "superior" when it comes to creating music is that music, like most of the arts, has been dominated by men for centuries. Women's liberation has only really started coming a long way since about the 60s.

so explain how come the negro man was able to do music and be recognized for it, when they were even more oppressed than women? way more oppressed.

check. mate.
>>
>>60665507
..Because they 'did music' at the same time as women and like women were recognized for their own work for the most part, only after the rights movement. There are a few that stand out before that time, but the same goes for women.
Major publications tend to wet themselves over black musicians as well, does that make their music inferior to the music of Whites?
Check mate my arse.
>>
>>60665884
jesus christ your womeme level of dumbs.

the argument is about the times of oppression. before the social liberation and all that jazz. that there were way way way way more black man that stood out then women even tho they were way way way way way way way way more oppressed.

explain
>>
>>60665404
>Joanna Newsom in particular is gimmicky, cartoonish garbage that should be grouped with crap like Emilie Autumn instead of actually good folk artists
Why?
>great arrangements
>thoughtful, well-written lyrics
>masterful playing of the harp
Sounds like you're just a faggot. HOOM is a fantastic folk album and there's nothing you can do about it.
>>
>>60666010
Because, if we're talking United States in particular here, that 'oppression' varied from place to place. Many of those great black musicians recorded or lived in states where racism was less rampant (though far from nonexistent). Women were oppressed pretty much the same in all states and the WORLD over.
>>
>>60666211
you're seriously suggesting that women were more oppressed than slave niggers?

>this is what feminists actually believe

>Women were oppressed pretty much the same in all states and the WORLD over.

completly false btw
>>
>>60666211
he also ignores that black women were just as oppressed in black cultures as they were in any other minority group. being a black woman was like a double whammy.

>>60666256
this isn't a game about who is the most oppressed
and you do know that women are included in those oppressed "slave niggers" and were often treated worse than male slaves.
>>
>>60664440
>1 good artist out of the 3
>he picks the 2 mediocre artists
>>
>>60666211
LOL yeah who could forget all of those white women being kept as slaves and getting lynched
>>
>>60663364
i'm not normally someone who can write someone off based on their singing voice alone, i love bob dylan, joni mitchell, joanna newsom, who plebs often write off for that reason, but for some reason i feel this way with annie.

hate her melodies also.
>>
>>60666298
grimes is actually unique. deal with it
>>
>>60666333
>grimes is actually unique
She's not. Her latest album is pure radio-pop.
>>
>>60666352
>pure radio-pop
Being catchy =/= pure radio pop.

And by the way, tell me another artist that made the same music as Grimes, then.
>>
>>60666315
Joni Mitchell's voice isn't unusual at all though...

>>60666333
Grimes is extremely tedious and unimaginative muzak that only made it off of bandcamp because of her trendy tumblr aesthetic.
>>
>>60666352
>pure radio-pop
Then why is this not daily played on a radio?
>>
>>60666298
How do I know that you're a Newsom fanboy?
>>
>>60666412
>tell me another artist that made the same music as Grimes, then.
Every girl on bandcamp.
>>60666423
Because she's ugly.
>>
>>60666416
>Joni Mitchell's voice isn't unusual at all though...
not really saying it is, but she's among the most common artists i hear people write off for her singing voice, for some reason. forgot to mention neil young as well.

don't shoot the messenger.
>>
>>60666279
they were often treated worse only because they had less musical talent. those are the facts
>>
>>60666416
>Grimes
>unimaginative

You have no clue what you're talking about.
>>
>>60666451
0/10
>>
>>60666443
>Every girl on bandcamp.
False. Or provide some actual examples.
>>
>>60666315
You have bad taste, then. Your loss. Her voice, lyrics and melodies are actually very nice.
>>
>>60666423
Because it's shit compared to real pop music. A pale imitation of top 40.
>>
>>60666490
nice opinion bro
>>
>>60666416
>Grimes is extremely tedious and unimaginative muzak that only made it off of bandcamp because of her trendy tumblr aesthetic.
Plebtastic opinion
>>
>>60666452
Listen to more music. Expand your tastes beyond pitchfork.
>>
>>60666492
Give me something from top40 that sounds like SCREAM or Kill V Maim.
>>
>>60666492
----> >>60666511
>>
>>60666511
Liking Grimes is the real pleb opinion. How does it feel to have the same taste as 14 year old girls on Tumblr?
>>
>>60666512
>pitchfork
don't even know what it is
>>
>>60666543
Oh ok, so you discovered this board yesterday. That explains a lot.
>>
File: 1445915679049.jpg (37 KB, 293x321) Image search: [Google]
1445915679049.jpg
37 KB, 293x321
>>60666533
>caring about who else listens to the same music
>>
>>60666533
>Liking Grimes is the real pleb opinion.
LOL. Her music is beyond the top 40 stuff. Way too eccentric and intricate. Her voice is stranger than anything from the top 40.

If you disagree with that you prove once more that you're a pleb.
>>
>grimesfags taking this thread over

fuck off
>>
File: 481183729_1280x724.jpg (47 KB, 1280x724) Image search: [Google]
481183729_1280x724.jpg
47 KB, 1280x724
>>60666611

that's why you better don't trigger grimesfags
>>
File: 1386639996902.jpg (157 KB, 600x653) Image search: [Google]
1386639996902.jpg
157 KB, 600x653
Why is she so hideous?
>>
>>60666767

>>60666652
>don't trigger grimesfags

Don't do it, faggot.
>>
>>60666279
this.
>>60666256
yeah, I'm a feminist. got a problem? Sorry, I want to ensure that people are treated equally, I know I wouldn't fit in with the /pol/ crowd. Go back to your board.
>>
OP here
I created a Grimes thread. What do?
>>
File: grimes(1).jpg (107 KB, 640x640) Image search: [Google]
grimes(1).jpg
107 KB, 640x640
>>60666965
Sit back and enjoy ;)
>>
Say what you will, but Annie Clark is seriously talented.
>>
>>60663325
marry me is the quirkiest, plebiest of them all.

actor is filled with time signature changes, odd instrumentation and well developed melodies.
>>
>>60667099
Because BRIAN ENO likes her amirite
>>
Wait, are there women on /mu/ or are you guys just white knight faggots from reddit?
>>
>>60663325
>because scaruffi says so
>>
>>60666767
How can Grimes be attractive in one picture and disgusting in the next? Is it a special power?
>>
>>60668558
>I like a woman artist
>I must be one of them or a white knight

I just don't get your point
>>
File: tumblr_nvuy1p2pM91s45aaco4_400.png (403 KB, 391x559) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_nvuy1p2pM91s45aaco4_400.png
403 KB, 391x559
>>60668803
It's her spirit, originality and creativity that makes her beautiful.
>>
>>60668558
neither, thanks tho
Thread replies: 88
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.