[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Trying to get into The Mars Volta. Where should I start?
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5
File: marsvolta_0.jpg (14 KB, 365x280) Image search: [Google]
marsvolta_0.jpg
14 KB, 365x280
>>
Deloused. It still quite accesible while also being relativelz experimental.

This and Frances are probably their most critically acclaimed albums. Their successive albums are great too but most people will probaby find those two to be the best. Deloused being a 10/10 album throughout, imo.

The song that got me into the Mars Volta was Televators. Other songs that got me hooked were Agadez, Wax Simulacra, Roulette Dares, Goliath.
In fact the Bedlam in Goliath was the first album I got.
>>
Deloused or Frances. They're the only good albums, really.
>>
>>60662734
>forgetting about Tremulant EP, Goliath, Amputechture and even the albums that arent as good as those still have 10/10 songs on them like in absentia, luciforms, teflon.etc.
>>
>>60662734
This pretty much. Deloused is great frances is ok and the reste is garbage
>>
>>60662734
>>60662775
>>60662701

deloused is overrated as fuck tbqh
>>
>>60662858
why do you feel this way about deloused?
what makes it overrated?
>>
Start at the beginning, of course. Everything they did is at least 8/10 *EXCEPT* Noctourniquet, which is a big pile of steaming shit.

Especially listen to The Bedlam in Goliath. One of the best albums ever produced.
>>
>>60662327
In the Court of the Crimson King
>>
>>60662327
You can start by dragging any of the albums you've downloaded to the recycling bin.
>>
>>60662858
THISS

>>60662914
Deloused is one of their worse albums. It is completely ruined by the screaming vocals. It's a annoying as fuck if you aren't a teenage girl. Rick Rubins production fucked everything too. Also too much delay and reverb.
>>
>>60662773
My nigga, y'all post frances haterz plen asf tbqh
>>
vol 4 los sombreroless berses is really accessible but id say iowasca or s/t (mariachi slipknott) are their best work
>>
don't
>>
Just listen to ATDI.
>>
File: Agadez.jpg (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
Agadez.jpg
21 KB, 300x300
>>63080756
Bedlam In Goliath. Start with Metatron, Oroborous, and ilyena. Then the rest of the album.
>>
Deloused and Frances are maybe their most solid efforts, but their best two songs are in Amputechture.
>Day of the Baphomets
>Tetragrammaton
>>
>>60664298
This statement is true. Tetragrammaton is Casssandra without the filler.

I was a fan since the beggining and as a teen Deloused and Frances sounded the best. Time has made Amputechture grow on me greatly, it's like a middle ground between the pop sensibility of deloused, the structural experimentation in frances and the abstraction in goliath and further albums

And do listen to ATDI

Also,
>>
>>60662915
Noct>Oct it's a pretty good album anon
>>
File: 220px-Thomas_Pridgen.jpg (12 KB, 220x165) Image search: [Google]
220px-Thomas_Pridgen.jpg
12 KB, 220x165
>>60664650
Sorry, anon - but you do not go from kickass drummers like Jon Theodore and Thomas Pridgen to that sorry ass Deantoni Parks. Parks played Noct like he was in a techno/IDM band. Seriously, listen to how shitty the drums sound in Noct ... there's no soul in there at all unlike their previous albums... very cold, amateur-ish crap. Deantoni Parks destroyed TMV with that shit.
>>
>i'm trying to force myself into listening music that'll make me look deep

fucking /mu/
>>
>>60664780
>listening to mariachi slipknot makes you look "deep"

lmfao
>>
>>60664810
>making a useless post mocking music in green text

>then saying lmao

/mu/ in a nutshell

cancerous board
>>
their last album is srsly underrated, i mean is not on the same level as de loused, frances or even amp and goliath, but it still has a really cool atmosphere and cool tracks, is at least a 7/10
>>
>>60664846
DUN DUN DUN ALL THE TRAPS IN THE CELLAR GO CLICKETY CLACK
>>
>ctrl+f
>mariachi slipknot 0 results

I'm disappoint
>>
>>60664842
>>
File: 2746187264.jpg (11 KB, 300x199) Image search: [Google]
2746187264.jpg
11 KB, 300x199
>>60664842
>>60664989
>>
>>60665016
EPIC
>>
File: 26487264.jpg (19 KB, 500x334) Image search: [Google]
26487264.jpg
19 KB, 500x334
>>60665102
>>
>>60664767
Pridgen was never a good fit for TMV either. Theodore is easily the best and a big part of why they fell off after he got kicked out/left.

>>60662327
Just listen to their stuff in chronological order. If you like the first three albums, the others are worth a listen, if you just think they are OK, you can probably skip them.

Deloused is like the most raw version of their sound. FTM is a bit more experimental and brevity is not its thing. Amputechture is the album on which they most fully realized their sound, but its even better if you have heard their first two albums, it helps it click. Bedlam is their most hard-rock sounding release, but its still a far cry from buttrock. Octahedron is more stripped down and their weakest release. Noctourniquet is more electronic and spcacier while being less "jammy".
>>
>>60664064
No, sthap please.
All hail Noctorniquete.
>>
>>60665984
>Pridgen was never a good fit for TMV either. Theodore is easily the best and a big part of why they fell off after he got kicked out/left.

I would agree to the first part - from a personality perspective. I've heard they had some issues getting along. But I would disagree that they fell off after Theodore; in fact, I would count TMV as one of the few groups that improved with every album (excluding the last, of course). Bedlam is insane - it's a train wreck of an experience to listen to, even today. And I mean that in a good way. I've never heard anything like that, and I grew up listening to all kinds of metal. Seriously, just listen to Noct - focus on the drumming, and tell me it isn't piss poor compared to either of the first two drummers.
>>
>>60664767
The drumming fits the sound of that album perfectly. There's a shit-ton of electronics, the "techno/IDM" route was a smart move. Imagine Pridgen playing in a track like in absentia (which by the way is one of the best TMV moments ever, and don't lie to yourself saying there is no emotion there). It's not like the rest of the band is playing like in the previous album, so it feels pretty natural to me. Octahedron sound like a stripdown version of the previus records, Noctourniquet on the other hand is a completely different sound. That's why I appreciate it, they didn't play it safe and it's a solid and coherent record all the way through. We all know Omar can realease a wank album in two minutes if he wants to.
>>
>>60666840
I'm not phrasing it right, sorry. I say "sucks" as in "I don't like it" :). Compare that to the loud, boisterous, in your face style drumming of the first two. I don't like the style - it's not that Parks "sucks", but the style is... not what I like for TMV. The drums had always had this *presence*, while in Noct you can barely tell they're there.

Wish Omar kept his stuff on Bandcamp. You're right, that guy can release albums in no time at all.
>>
I'm so glad /my/ got past this whole Volta meme, I'm glad to see people who actually enjoy MV
Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.