[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
/psy/ - Psychedelic General
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12
File: image.jpg (52 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
52 KB, 500x500
ITT: Post whatever you want.

http://youtu.be/AAolZW1uLDk
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=94mfjNjsjYI

one of the first songs I ever listened to while on drugs. I already loved ladies and gentlemen we are floating in space before, but man narcotics made it so much more enjoyable.
>>
>>60658046
great choice
>>
i hope the spammer that just posts album covers doesnt return
>>
>>60658087
i hope people talk about music :(
>>
>>60657842
Just listened to/watched Ghost's Overture: Live in Nippon Yusen Soko today. I was hoping for some more rhythmic work (not wholly rhythmic, but at least drifting in and out of rhythmic sections). Anyone else heard/seen?
>>
i've got some freeleach tokens on what.cd and im super into Boredoms lately

rec me some long psych albums or compilations to use these up on? (i've heard a majority of the well-known/entry level stuff, but if they're sizable ill take the recs anyway as a refresher)
>>
Looking for Japanese Psychedelia recs
so far I've been through (in order of favorites)
Boredoms (and OOIOO)
Les Rallizes Denudes
Fushitsusha
Acid Mothers Temple
Flower Travellin' Band
Far East Family Band
Ghost

posting best spiritualized as tribute https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mY8SyTsgSko
>>
File: Statek_kosmiczny_Ścianka.jpg (22 KB, 272x274) Image search: [Google]
Statek_kosmiczny_Ścianka.jpg
22 KB, 272x274
>>60658146
>>60658158
what are you looking for kraut rock, experimental rock, etc
>>
>>60658236
The weirder and noisier the better. Just got out of a huge krautrock binge but I'm still in the mood for heavy riffs, screeching amps, long drony sections, etc.
>>
is psych folk welcome
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIbcyYXFfXE
>>
>>60658260
>>60658236

me and this guy are actually looking for the same thing and also love japanese stuff...
so, what he said!!
>>
File: logo.jpg (7 KB, 400x184) Image search: [Google]
logo.jpg
7 KB, 400x184
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NhmgizsNc88

Great rock song
>>
File: image.jpg (14 KB, 220x222) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
14 KB, 220x222
If anyone likes late 70s Tame Impala, prog pop psych stuff

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=psSrLwgRwBM
>>
any psych stuff like Can's Monster Movie? specifically the guitar work
>>
>>60657842
>spacemen 3
ma nig
>>
File: image.png (21 KB, 300x300) Image search: [Google]
image.png
21 KB, 300x300
Posting favorites since psych is my favorite genre

Deer hunter - cryptograms
spacemen 3 - perfect prescription
spiritualized - laser guided melodies
Caribou - up in flames
Animal collective - feels + mpp
My bloody valentine - loveless
M83 - dead cities
Pink Floyd - piper at the gates of dawn
The antlers - in the attic of the universe
>>
>>60658511
Why do you prefer cryptograms over Halycon digest? Just curious
>>
>>60658545
not him, but for me I just loved the droning ambient sections and the heavier sound in general. I'd say Halcyon is the better album but Cryptograms is my favorite sound of theirs.
>>
>>60658579
why do you prefer the heavier more noisier psych? just curious I like everything, but I prefer digest because of the cleaner more post rock psych sound
>>
>>60658545
That guy here, umm cryptograms is more traditionally psychedelic. Halcyon and weird era are better albums IMO but for pure psychedelia I'd go with cryptograms due to the ambient shit. Plus nothing beats the one two punch of spring hall convert and strange lights
>>
>>60658605
Now it's my turn to weigh in on a question that isn't mine. Never thought of that, psychedelic to me is just usually dense and heavy. While there is definitely cleaner psychedelic stuff (soft bulletin) I for some reason picked cryptograms. It's just the first thing I went to. Although halcyon is a great contender now that I ponder it...
>>
>>60658621
>>60658638
Halcyon digest has songs like sailing which is incredibly ambient and really trippy

I think the best psych is perfectly balanced between pop, not that cryptograms isn't pop but compared to halcyon digest, which is more post rock ish more depressing like radiohead, 'living room psychedelia'
>>
>>60658605
I'm a fan of some softer psych stuff, but my favorites have always been the heavier songs that completely overwhelm and assault the senses. While softer stuff is incredibly blissful, like strolling through the garden of Eden while a thousand beautiful angels inject me with heroin while sucking my cock, the heavier stuff is like hurtling through space, crashing through asteroids and witnessing black holes engulfing entire galaxies.

Both are incredible experiences but the latter is a bit more exciting to me
>>
>>60658672
I agree, I think the best psychedelic music is not too overwhelming yet not too clean and boring. It's good for bands to experience all elements of these areas as well as find a perfect medium, animal collective deer hunter spiritualized and yo la tengo did this very well.
>>
>>60658694
Well I like pop music because it's accessible but mainly because psychedelia is a very hard concept to grasp, even if you've taken drugs yourself, so I really like the idea of taking something like that and making pop music out of it

Some of the greatest albums ever have been inspired by psych but are not nessasarily about them
>>
>>60658689
I hear you and agree but what about softer songs like black sabbaths planet caravan which is literally about flying through space tripping out

Soft can be cosmic too imo
>>
>>60658605
>>60658689
also, I should mention that while I'm currently very into the heavy stuff, a lot of my all time favorites aren't necessarily heavy psych

Yeti, Tago Mago, Lazer Guided Melodies, The Fun of Watching Fireworks, Perfect Prescription, Person Pitch, Psycedelic Sounds of 13th Floor Elevators, Smile Sessions, Piper at the Gates of Dawn
(I recognize that this is basically a grocery list of essential albums, but they're just what I've happened to enjoy the most. Not claiming to be super unique)
>>
>>60658744
Very little psych music is made without the aid or influence of drugs, be in polls, pot, or acid etc. animal collective especially Avey was a big acid guy, boards of Canada I'm pretty sure we're into acid, deer hunter Bradford did acid and smoked a bit, but takes influence more from his body and surgeries and zoning out while getting fucked up back in the day (he's said in interviews early deer hunter performances they were all ducked up but it's Bradford so who knows). Jason pierce of spacemen/spiritualized has done his fair share. In my own music I just really love texture and weird shit, I don't need drugs to enjoy or crest but to play devils advocate after doing them I see what these artists mean
>>
recs for things like Boredoms' Super Ae?
>>
>>60658777
Nothing wrong with essentials, it's good for psych music because it shows depth and variety in a genre full of ripoff 60's wannabes and awful drug self indulgence and going nowhere fuzz bands.
>>
>>60658777
Your taste is solid, my man
>>
>>60658807
Honestly aside from other Japanese bands, here comes the Indian by animal collective and some stuff by sunburned hand of the man is all I can think of. Climax golden twins. Now much crazy super rock crazy explosion psych out there sadly.
>>
>>60658800
Thanks for this post

It just comes down to opinion I guess, but for me, I just like the depressing post rock neo psychedelia Deerhunter a bit more. Songs like helicopter reflect my state of mind and experiencing on drugs extremely accurately 'these drugs play on me in terrible ways, please pray for us' I fucking love that ennu depressing nostalgic shit, fuck me that's good
>>
>>60658880
Thanks anon. I like that deer hunter with HD showed that you could make expanding pop psych without going full 1967 or of Montreal. You could take it to a darker place or some shit like that
>>
Speaking of Deerhunter, I'm gonna rant here. I always thought they'd put on an amazing live show with a blissful, psychy atmosphere. Caught them at Treasure Island this year. Set stats with a prolonged ambient jam (think Cryptograms) which transitioned into an amazing rendition of Memory Boy. "This is it", I thought, "this is going to be one of the best shows I've ever seen".

They then proceeded to shit out a ton of bland songs from Fading Frontier.

I get the feeling I missed their golden era.
>>
>>60658914
the darkness or mystery is one of the best parts of psych imo
>>
>>60658969
You kind of did sadly. I think they're trying to avoid being pigeonholed into their older selves and how they used to sound by progressing which is good! But also bad, I saw the in 2013 and they played a nice mix of stuff from all their Albums minus cryptograms sadly, but they also canceled their tour after I saw them so... Yeah the jamming and ambient sections were dope I think that time has come and gone for a little bit they may come back to it later but they have also grown quite a bit in the last 8-10 years so they might be sick of that stuff who knows I'm glad they're still relevant and popular and writing good songs regardless of intense psychedelia
>>
>>60658990
Oh yeah I feel like drugs and psychedelic music and darkness (think here comes the Indian by animal collective) go hand in hand. That's not to say it can't be positive, it can (think Sgt. Peppers psychedelic moments). But it just helps to prove points that dark drug music is good for the soul
>>
>>60659019
I like fading frontier a lot, and I hope they keep reinventing their sound

Still, halcyon digest is so incredible I never want to let go
>>
>>60659026
I just meant it gives you perspective. I agree the sunshine stuff can get obnoxious
>>
>>60659036
Same. desire lines...that ending jam
>>
>>60658146
Hey I think you'll really like Giobia, Italian psych, album before it is great as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-O7Iav-wH8I
>>
>>60659052
It's either bad sunshine psych pop or bad fuzz blues shit. Psych music sucks when it's not the quality of the essentials and shit Obviously like any genre
>>
Can somebody please recommend me psych that has a motorik driving beat? Other than the classic krautrockers
>>
>>60659107
Porcupine tree - signify
Atlas sound - quick canal
Deer hunter - cryptograms the song
Folakzoid - ii
>>
>>60659082
Good taste, desire lines is probably the song of the decade

'walking free, come with me, every day, far away'... the best psyh mantra
>>
>>60659201
I think the title is a tribute to lush' desire lines, which is like a 7 min long stoner dream pop slow core jam
>>
>>60659228
Cool, thanks for that, I've never gotten around to listen to lush, actually
>>
>>60659228

I think this song is mostly about how desire, and the subsequent fulfillment of that desire, can just make you desire more. "When you were young,and your excitement showed,but as time goes by,does it outgrow. Is that the way things go? Forever reaching for the goal"

It's a cycle (desire lines), that he wants to free you from: "walking free,come with me" It sounds very similar to Buddhist philosophy.
>>
File: Loopfoob.jpg (11 KB, 400x400) Image search: [Google]
Loopfoob.jpg
11 KB, 400x400
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgJF8OVgrQ0

Just listened to this album again today after forgetting about it. Fucking amazing, just what I'm looking for. Reminds me of earlier Spacemen 3 stuff but heavier
>>
>>60659366
Just got into loop today actually. Dug it
>>
>>60659366
Perfect for cough syrup
>>
>>60659448
Hahahaha, I was thinking that the entire time. I've had plenty of great experiences with Spacemen and DXM before, gotta try this when I can.

Since we're on the topic, is DXM THE drug for music? Though Acid is still great, I just don't get as engrossed in the music as I do with DXM.
>>
>>60659479
Acids fun but for a lot of people it's really ping pongy and going from one thing to another very quickly. Dxm is more immersive.
>>
>>60659510
>ping pongy
>going from one thing to another very quickly

Exactly how I felt. I was usually too busy with my thoughts to really settle into the music. It always felt more like background music for the experience than the focus of the experience.
>>
>>60659479

DXM is kinda dirty... It's just the way it works on your body, so I think the best music the noisy and dirty like The Velvet Underground or My bloody Valentine

Anything sounds good on DXM, it's perfect, but stuff that is really dense and languid is cool,
>>
>>60658146
Hawkwind- Space Ritual would be up your alley
>>
>>60659548
I really enjoyed it, acid felt more like how weed is described to you in middle school than how it actually is (hallucinations vs just gets you high).
>>60659596
Yeah dxm can fuck your body up after a while, or even a few times if you do a bunch. It's looked down upon by a lot of people as a high school drug or a redneck thing but it's one of the first things people try.
>>
>>60659643
I did it for about 5 years, it definitely fucked me up
>>
>>60659132
Thanks mate
>>
>>60658260
Mercury Rev- Boces
>>
File: livedead.jpg (30 KB, 400x392) Image search: [Google]
livedead.jpg
30 KB, 400x392
GOAT live psych album coming through
>>
File: image.jpg (44 KB, 500x472) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
44 KB, 500x472
>>60659734
sup
>>
>>60659643
Oh man don't get me wrong, acid has provided some of the best moments and realizations of my life. Overall I'd say it's my favorite drug. Nothing like taking a nature walk and becoming one with the world.
>>60659643
I've heard about DXM fucking up people's livers but I was never sure if it was because of the chemical itself or all the shit in the syrup (even if DXM is the only active ingredient).
>>
>>60659759
Like anything, if you overdo it you are fucked. I did DXM for years, and while I do feel the affects, no permanent damage was done
>>
File: image.jpg (41 KB, 384x384) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
41 KB, 384x384
I'll never forgot the first time I listened to this album
>>
File: kinggizzard.jpg (995 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
kinggizzard.jpg
995 KB, 1200x1200
>>60659811
Their new album is really great.
>>
>>60659811
Does this sound at all similar to Mind Fuzz? I'm enjoying King Gizzard, but I feel Quarters and Paper Mache Dream Balloon just weren't as good. Not digging their light acoustic stuff.
>>
>>60658236
gimme more kraut rock plz, i really like beak> and shit
>>
File: cover.jpg (117 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
117 KB, 600x600
those who want something similar to Boredoms you could check Guardian Alien this one album in particular they are a bit on the noisier side
>>
>>60658689
>While softer stuff is incredibly blissful, like strolling through the garden of Eden while a thousand beautiful angels inject me with heroin while sucking my cock
Lost.
>>
File: cover.jpg (2 MB, 2400x2408) Image search: [Google]
cover.jpg
2 MB, 2400x2408
Congratulations! Thank You!
Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 12

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.