[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
post itt if twee is ur life
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7
File: attagirl.jpg (34 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
attagirl.jpg
34 KB, 600x600
post itt if twee is ur life
>>
ye I'm Heavenly's biggest fan
>>
File: 51nmbRfUd5L.jpg (25 KB, 500x500) Image search: [Google]
51nmbRfUd5L.jpg
25 KB, 500x500
>>60656818
I <3 twee sooo much! Got any recs?

Currently listening to pic related
>>
where the memes at
>>
>>60656979
Have you listened to all the Sarah longplays yet?
>>
>>60657016
Not even close to all :(
>>
File: evenaswespeak.jpg (65 KB, 600x600) Image search: [Google]
evenaswespeak.jpg
65 KB, 600x600
>>60657093
You should get on that then! It's all so good. Try pic related.
>>
Twee is fun but it's essentially the hipster equivalent to pop-punk. i.e. With a few exceptions (B&S, Saint Eitenne, The Smiths, Beat Happening) it's pretty artistically thin.
>>
soon to be
>>
>>60657315
Twee is qt and innocent though. Pop punk on the other hand is the music of angsty teenagers in love with pizza.
>>
>>60657315
do you require all of your music to be some profound statement?
>>
>>60657315
you just don't listen to twee for artistic merit

you listen to twee to feel kawaii and innocent
>>
>>60657571
Pretty much. I wonder if there is artsy twee out there though.
>>
>>60657423
I listen to music that's exceptional.
>>
>>60657617
I'm sure there is a lot, specially on its early days before the genre fully came together. I need to dig more than the well known modern, Sarah and some Cherry Red records desu
>>
>>60657237
Dling nao thx!
>>
>>60657315
The Smiths are not twee
>>
>>60657377
>record in OP pic is about date rape
That's not all that qt and innocent. There's more to the story here.

To me, twee is punk that doesn't have a punk aesthetic. At the heart of both genres is the idea that anybody can pick up an instrument and play it. The variable is whether the sound is masculine or not. Talulah Gosh were a punk band, but since they weren't macho they weren't punk and the press mockingly called them twee. The term stuck and was carried over to all Sarah and K bands.

But can The Field Mice, Blueboy, and Heavenly be dismissed as "twee"? No, I don't think so. These bands had multiinstrumentalists, folks playing the guitar at least as good as any of their counterparts in other genres, and skilled songwriters. It's a legitimate genre, godammit.
>>
>>60657855
>Blueboy
I think they're more artistic than other twee desu.
>>
what are some good twee starter albums?

is heavenly good?

i think i heard frankie cosmos and/or belle and sebastian
>>
>>60658590
Beat Happening - Jamboree
>>
>>60658731
thanks man
>>
File: a4018045070_10.jpg (295 KB, 1200x1200) Image search: [Google]
a4018045070_10.jpg
295 KB, 1200x1200
>>60657237
This is one of my favorite pop albums in general.

Also, I've basically only been listening to The Field Mice and Trembling Blue Stars ever since the ending of October and I can't stop. Bobby Wratten is so good. Help.
>>
help me twee anons
>>60658983
>>60658983
>>
>>60657315
>the smiths
>twee
>>
Twee is an idiotic term but the Crabs are really good. As well as the Happy Birthdays,
>>
>>60657315
>Beat Happening
this is a serious question

to anyone who likes beat happening what makes you like it? I've tried to listen to they're albums but it's sooo hard... I know some of the appeal of twee is that it's raw, catchy and pretty honest. Beat Happening definitely fits some of those categories but some of their stuff (especially their first) sound extremely amateur, out of time and just really jarring. It's hard to get through it imo
>>
I can get behind some of the British twee (Allo Darlin' especially), but I absolutely love Japanese twee. I don't know if they see it as twee themselves, but I'd definitely say it has the same style.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n22RgMm5mQw
>>
>>60657855
>The Field Mice, Heavenly

I dunno. I never really thought them twee, but rather jangle pop or c86-ish or something. Like Tiger Trap, The Siddeleys, etc.

Twee's a hard genre to nail down like that. Which is why i don't think of it as a genre. Just an adjective to describe bright, simple music with saccharine/feminine vocals and honest/emo lyrics.
>>
>>60659100
>happy birthdays
didn't think anyone had heard of them. hadn't heard anyone mention them since the myspace era. did they ever put out anything other than this ep?

https://youtu.be/93uk2ZZEEx4
>>
File: 51VF26QDMRL.jpg (53 KB, 500x496) Image search: [Google]
51VF26QDMRL.jpg
53 KB, 500x496
Anyone else feel like Marine Girls don't get enough love?
>>
>>60658884
He really is amazing. I love the Wake if you have't tried them. Thanks for reminding me to listen to Occasional Keepers.
>>
are we just going to throw Another Sunny Day, the Flatmates, Close Lobsters, and Pants Yell into this thread? Camera Obscura?
>>
>>60659115
I'm actually not really a huge fan of Beat Happening but the stuff you don't like about them is probably the appeal for a lot of people. Kinda like a more overtly pop-oriented Half Japanese. They were amateurish but still crafted some nice pop songs. I can definitely get where you are coming from though.
I'd also argue that they are probably one of the "shallowest" twee bands, but I don't really mean that in a bad way. Just the general idea that all twee is amateurish and childish kinda stems from Beat Happening while a lot of the Sarah Records guys were more literate and clever and caustic than I think people really give them credit for.
I still like some stuff from Beat Happening, especially off of Black Candy and You Turn Me On.
>>
>>60659256
It's all good pop music to me.

>>60659275
I'm pretty sure that's the only thing they released. Roger Gunnarson has a million other bands though. Free Loan Investments being probably my favorite of his. I think he mostly just does stuff with Sally Shapiro these days though.

>>60659301
Yeah yeah, The Wake are neat. I should probably try to throw them in to lighten up the Wratten load.
Bobby's new project, Lightning in a Twilight Hour is pretty good too although I kinda lose interest when the two albums he has released under that moniker delve more into direct ambient music. But I should probably give them another shot now that I'm in this mess.
>>
File: tg.jpg (80 KB, 1108x823) Image search: [Google]
tg.jpg
80 KB, 1108x823
Talulah Gosh, checking in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZxY4Q2TmQAw
>>
>>60656979
Every fucking song on this album is the same thing
>>
>>60659490
Allo Darlin is better.
>>
File: image.jpg (73 KB, 640x1136) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
73 KB, 640x1136
>>60659256
>feminine vocals
>>
>>60659232
That's because the Japanese are kawaii as fuck and twee is best when cute.
>>
>>60659275
>happy birthdays
Where can i get this? Do you have a link?
>>
This is funny because I've had Trophy Girlfriend on repeat for the past month now.
Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 7

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.