[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Home]
4chanarchives logo
Suicide - s/t
Images are sometimes not shown due to bandwidth/network limitations. Refreshing the page usually helps.

You are currently reading a thread in /mu/ - Music

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1
File: Suicide1977.jpg (22 KB, 316x315) Image search: [Google]
Suicide1977.jpg
22 KB, 316x315
Why is this album so well liked by the "patrician" community? Is it because this is the first album in which a dude describes various people over a pulsating drum machine and keyboards? Is it because "AAAAAAAAA Frankie's dead"? Is
I've enjoyed most of the patrician-approved albums that I've listened to (Hosiana Mantra, The Modern Dance, Tago Mago...) but this one doesn't strike me as particularly groundbreaking. I greatly enjoyed Ghost Rider but the rest of the album seems to just be stamp collecting.
Also, how many of you were expecting it to be an edgy metal album just from the cover?
Also, why does Wikipedia list this album as synthpop and nothing else?
>>
its not a good album
>>
>>60654980
Why is this album so well liked by the "patrician" community?
>>
you sound like such a toolbox op
>>
>>60654866
This album was a fucking game changer. It's a a historical landmark. You're a pleb if you can't at least appreciate it. You don't have to enjoy it, but you do have to respect it.
>>
Because it's very emotional for an "electronic" album.

Rocket U.S.A. and Frankie Teardrop are my favourite tracks.

>>60654980
pleb
>>
>>60654866
idk man i just love the way it sounds. not that this is the reason why i like it, but its one of the most groundbreaking albums since TVU&N

not to sound like im patronizing you but i had the same reaction as you when i listened to it for the first time

i just grew to love every single second on it
>>
>>60654866
It's mainly because of the atmosphere and the influence of the album. Without it, a lot of modern synthpop and other synth-based rock music might not exist

Also, they worked on the organ sounds with much patience
>>
Tbh i liked it from the first listen. It's affiliation with no wave seems misleading though. The mood has it's nearest precedent in The Doors but you know, bluesless (thank god), Suicidal (thank buddah) and violent (praise allah)

I think it's the mood and atmosphere that sells it, influence is irrelevant.
>>
>>60654866
what do you think each song is about?
>>
>>60655027
Correct, it pioneered the basic format for synthpop but with a really confrontational punk edge.

Keep in mind that these guys were active since the early 70s. I think the songs had been performed for years before the album came out. So it was there at the genesis of punk and no wave.

>>60655186
>It's affiliation with no wave seems misleading though.
They ran in the same circles in New York and had a lot of very confrontational gigs.
>>
>>60655243
Yeah but they don't sound very no wave, not like early Swans or DNA
>>
>>60654980
this desu
>>
>>60655265
no wave had no unifying sound. no wave was about the mentality of the musicians who's music was labeled no wave

its one of the few genres who's term has nothing to do with the actual music and everything to do with rejecting conventional and commercial music during the late 70s and early 80s (basically saying "no" to "new wave")

so with that said, this album is absolutely a no wave album. in fact its one of the very first no wave albums. i think the reason why you and other people don't think its no wave is because it lacks dissonant sounding guitars which is understandable
>>
put down the gun, Frankie

FRANKIE. PUT
DOWN
THE
G
>>
>>60655329
literally every no wave band has atonal guitar/sax solos

Suicide doesn't
>>
>>60655265

It's mostly that Suicide was hugely influential on the no wave scene in terms of sound, lyrics, and performance
>>
>>60655378
massacre, blurt, the raybeats, 8 eyed spy, the stickmen, gray, friction etc... didnt have atonal guitars or sax solos
>>
>>60655413
None of them were from the original late 70s NYC scene like Suicide was, and is being compared to.

>friction

Are you even trying
>>
i like it because it sounds like NYC- hissing, squeaking, thumping, repetitive clatter, beeping, babbling and rambling

it's heartfelt no-budget pop music

i think it gets lauded because you know how people like to look ahead of the game when they talk music in socio-historical context- if they can drop how suicide maybe probably who knows used the word "punk" first into their article especially
>>
>>60654866
Martin Rev was a visionary in terms of bringing electronic instruments to a rock format. his knowledge of music and jazz theory also really brought an interesting sound that, to me, isn't "minimal because we don't know better" like a garage rock band, but a purposefully restrained approach type of minimal that let Suicide get a ton of mileage out of every little element.

I also really recommend listening to Rev's s/t solo album to really get a good understanding of what i mean, it's very Zuckerzeit-era Cluster if that makes any sense.

and not to leave out Vega, his vocal performances were just outstanding, absolutely perfect in the context of Rev's minimalist soundscapes. can't really have Suicide without either of em.
Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 1

banner
banner
[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / biz / c / cgl / ck / cm / co / d / diy / e / fa / fit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mu / n / news / o / out / p / po / pol / qa / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Home]

All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties. Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
If a post contains personal/copyrighted/illegal content you can contact me at [email protected] with that post and thread number and it will be removed as soon as possible.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com, send takedown notices to them.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from them. If you need IP information for a Poster - you need to contact them. This website shows only archived content.